Humans of New York (HONY) Vol: Awesome Facebook Page

Pretty sure many of you know about Humans of New York (HONY). It is, by far, my favorite Facebook page. There are many great stories on this page and it is amazing that soundbites from strangers can be so powerful. There are tons of cool stories, but this one is really kinda special because of what it has accomplished.

Well, recently, they've been profiling a school: Mott Hall Bridges Academy. Really fascinating stories about the "scholars" and the educators. 
We are currently profiling Mott Hall Bridges Academy, a middle school in the under-served neighborhood of Brownsville, Brooklyn. As we learn about the school, its scholars, and its educators, we are also raising funds to provide a financial boost to the school’s mission. All funds raised over $700,000 are being used to establish a scholarship fund available to graduates of MHBA. The scholarship fund is named The Vidal Fund, after the young man who inspired the entire story. Nearly 30,000 people have donated so far. 
"Who's influenced you the most in your life?"
"My principal, Ms. Lopez."
"How has she influenced you?"
"When we get in trouble, she doesn't suspend us. She calls us to her office and explains to us how society was built down around us. And she tells us that each time somebody fails out of school, a new jail cell gets built. And one time she made every student stand up, one at a time, and she told each one of us that we matter."

10441242_865948056812629_2861286349331890929_n.jpg
10943889_868248166582618_4127268490528592477_n.jpg
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/humansofnewyork?fref=photo
Unsure of if there are any rules about posting donation links, but here it is anyways:  http://bit.ly/1JmIB8u

What they did for that school and those kids is so amazing.

Funding for 10 years for 2 programs is awesome and now scholarships.

Some of the stories on that page have definitely made me shed a few tears

Yeah, some of those stories can have you real close to tears. It's a really fascinating page.

That IG of the dude who gives homeless people haircuts is also a dope page. Anybody remember the username?

"After I finish my shift at the bakery, I start my shift at Starbucks. I work 95 hours per week at three different jobs. One of my sons graduated from Yale, and I have two more children in college. And when they finish, I want to go to college too. I want to be a Big Boss. I'm a boss at the bakery right now, but just a little boss. I want to be a Big Boss."

Some awesome stuff on there.

"I grew up in the Dominican Republic with my grandfather and grandmother. Neither of them had any education. Our house had one bedroom for six people. It was half-concrete and half-wood. When it rained outside, it rained inside. I earned most of the money in the house by shining shoes and selling peanuts. I came to America when I was 14, and I told my grandparents that I was going to save up enough money to buy them a new house. I worked at a carwash for four years, and by the time I was eighteen, I had $20,000 saved up. I told my grandparents to start looking for materials because we were about to start building. Then that December, they both got hit by cars, two weeks apart, on the same corner. I almost went crazy."

:\

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom