"I Hate This Part" (short-film)

Hey guys so I just graduated with a Bachelors in Film Production and for my thesis film I decided to write a film about the 3 hardest parts in my life. I separated the film into 3 parts called "Me & My Dad", "Breaking the Friendzone" & "The Interview".

I wrote, directed, & edited this film. Making this film meant alot to me not only as a filmmaker but as a person that has felt misunderstood and depressed for a large portion of my life. This film is about when you cant bite your tongue and you just have to face the elephant in the room no matter how hard it might be.

I'd greatly appreciate to hear your thoughts, thank you.

Last edited:
Liked it, pacing was great.

I like how the third tied in the first and second.

What school did you attend?

Are you going to enter it into festivals? It's so long lol.

Last edited:
Liked it, pacing was great.

I like how the third tied in the first and second.

What school did you attend?

Are you going to enter it into festivals? It's so long lol.

thanks man. I submitted it to Sundance, Slamdance, & Miami International Festival. Amongst all the submissions I wasn't chosen for any, so I decided to put it on the internet and see how it plays with real audiences. I went to Miami Dade College.

thanks man. I submitted it to Sundance, Slamdance, & Miami International Festival. Amongst all the submissions I wasn't chosen for any, so I decided to put it on the internet and see how it plays with real audiences. I went to Miami Dade College.
hey you should try smaller film fests..

palm springs has a short fest and palm springs is a big name in the movie industry...lots of people with money they also host the international fest the beginning of january.

It may be due to length, honestly.

you have to consider, at a film fest. they want to get the most shorts that they can possibly play.

yours being 20 minutes, they can fit about 4 roughly 5 minute shorts into your one time slot.

you're competing against scheduling time and quality.

It may be due to length, honestly.

you have to consider, at a film fest. they want to get the most shorts that they can possibly play.

yours being 20 minutes, they can fit about 4 roughly 5 minute shorts into your one time slot.

you're competing against scheduling time and quality.

yep your right, This having been my first real film I didn't have any experience with festivals. So now I have a better understanding on what works better for each individual festival and I would have loved to be accepted in a festival but there will always be more opportunities in the future.

So what happened with your dad? and what happened with the girl? and what happened with the job???

I really enjoyed it. Honestly won't say anything bad about it. Got to commend the people out here chasing their dreams. I wish you luck with your future films. Hell, I wouldn't mind a follow up to this one 
pimp.gif

I enjoyed it.
Good work.
That scene when it's chris and his boys on the court and he's telling them what he's gonna say to her...man we've all been in that scenario before just tweaked to match our lives.

Can we just clap it up for NT for a minute? This forum got a lot of talent. This dude, the filipino dude with the parents in his video.
Impressed.

So your problem with your dad was that he spent too much money?  Just making sure I understood that.  Overall, I thought it was a pretty good short film, good luck in the festival!...

Very good film man. The only problem I have with it is that you seemed WAY too sensitive at some parts.

ex. Car scene with dad & guest. I was almost getting annoyed.

thanks guys for all the feedback. Alot of questions, the first scene was inspired by an actual event, i wrote it word for word how I remembered it, alot of stuff was going on, my sister was getting married, my mom was contemplating leaving my dad (due to a gambling problem) and I had been out of work for a while. So everyone kept trying to figure out why I was mad and I ended up just keeping it real, didnt wanna expose my dad infront of my friend but he was instigating. The second scene was inspired from me being in that same scenario and contemplating what If I had just told her how I feel. The third scene was the embodiment of experiences I had been through while applying for jobs, mixed with the way I felt the mangers viewed me.

Overall, my mom left my dad a month after filming and I was stuck living with my dad through even worst issues, but after seeing the movie he realized that I wasn't just a lazy kid, that I just was annoyed at how he was doing my mom and now hes helping me on sets of my new projects and our relationship has improved greatly. I was able to show this film to the girls that inspired me and they love it relate to it alot, just with other guys. I got a job that works with my hours and allows me freedom to be myself and still take off days to do films.

I just shot a pilot for a comedy web series Im doing with alot of the same characters entitled "Basketball Friends" inspired by the scene in this film. Should be releasing early February.

Last edited:
Yo good job man.

The 2nd and 3rd part, i can relate to it a lot. I wish you success in your future projects and hopefully you'll share it here to so we can keep up with your work :smokin

Btw, the bookstore chick man...i'd simp.

Back
Top Bottom