I never thought i would tell my kids these words "them jordans cost too much"

Setting her up for a rude awakening when she gets her first job and finds out what FICA means LOL!!! 

My first check from first job = hurt feelings
laugh.gif

i didnt get name brand shoes until high school, we were poor and i never even asked for them because i got what i wanted and to me as a kid id rather have something else than shoes so instead of getting $100 shoes once a year i got stuff all year round that i wanted, even when i played baseball i never had name brand cleats, hell i had walmart socer cleats most of the time and yeah people laughed at me until i was droppin bombs on them and batted over .600 my entire childhood (over .400 high school average as well) but i will never pay for my kid to have expensive shoes. they will be nikes or jordans but believe me they will come off the sales rack or from the outlets so they still have quality products but dont break the bank. kids nowdays dont appreciate things like some people who grew up dirt poor and were happy to just get new clothes for school.

The game has changed drastically, either keep up with the times or may make way for the next person to play. Either adapt or become extinct.

This right here. Repped

At least some of you guys parents gave you money or what you wanted. My parents weren't even paying over $40 for kicks.... and allowance or bday money? psh never that.

Last edited:
The game has changed drastically, either keep up with the times or may way for the next person to play. Either adapt or become extinct.

i totally agree... thats why i dont trip over resellers.... i just adapted... thats what humans do.... if i cop i cop multiples no matter what for tradebait/selling because at some point in time we all miss out and have paid a reseller i just level the pkaying field for myself.

I get what you're saying about the cost of Jordans. I wear an 8.5 in mens and I think the retail for mens sizes is ridiculous, and the kids as well. A lot of the colorways for kids, specifically for the girls, my little sister likes. She likes the snakeskin XI's but I wouldn't even pay 110 for them, she's only 10 years old. My mom only buys Jordans for my bro or sis if their 20, 30, 40. I found a pair of Dub-Zero's in a 6.5Y for $25 and they practically look new. My lil bro's foot is constantly growing and he doesn't really take care of his shoes but he does like Jordans, my ma is going to be hurting sooner or later because his feet are constantly growing, needless to say he will be in a men's size, and mens shoes are expensive, but I will help when that time comes around...

We've been slowly conditioned to pay these higher prices for years. They raise the price little by little, throw in the supply and demand factor....

Don't know how true this is, but i've seen a couple people mention that next year retros will go up to $170, but will have premium quality 
ohwell.gif

Last edited:
Basically these shoes are not worth the price at all. But the only thing that would balance it out is if people just bought what they liked instead of every release that come out out. There is no way one person likes every shoe/item from any Brand. I saw that Nightline story on the Shoe Game and litterally got mad. Some little kids ruining something so simple just to fit in. Yes, fit in. Shoes are giving people an identity and that is sad. i saw them buy trade and ell shoes all in one day, while they probably prevented someone who really wanted the shoes from getting them.

And I'm talking kids, who are at the age they should even be able to manage their own money let alone sell something that their parents bought to start with.

Last edited:
you see young parents with young kids, always showing off on instagram and FB how they "hook up" their kids..

they find it all "swag" or cool or cute or wahtever, but when they get older and they want their MEN SIZES full retail.. it wont be so cute with that hurting your pockets.

when i have kids. they are wearing payless shows

Nope, I love j's because I had a pair or two comming up. My kid won't have a collection like me, but you will know its MY kid. And you should be able to buy your children whatever they want (in reason). Yeah, they destroy shoes. But jordan quality beats Payless hands down, and 3 pairs of shoes in a school year turns into six because your buyin your kids DS beaters. Regardless, the real topic is the inevitable rape by Nike and jordan. Y'all want to get back at them? Wear vans. Cheap, good, og, and most of all, not Nike.

I get what you're saying about the cost of Jordans. I wear an 8.5 in mens and I think the retail for mens sizes is ridiculous, and the kids as well. A lot of the colorways for kids, specifically for the girls, my little sister likes. She likes the snakeskin XI's but I wouldn't even pay 110 for them, she's only 10 years old. My mom only buys Jordans for my bro or sis if their 20, 30, 40. I found a pair of Dub-Zero's in a 6.5Y for $25 and they practically look new. My lil bro's foot is constantly growing and he doesn't really take care of his shoes but he does like Jordans, my ma is going to be hurting sooner or later because his feet are constantly growing, needless to say he will be in a men's size, and mens shoes are expensive, but I will help when that time comes around...

As your supposed to. Moms job ain't to get you J's. thts the real reason my collection started. I just got too old to hear no, so i got a job and never missed a release I wanted again until I left j's alone 3yrs ago. Bought my first pair (mars 4's) still gotem' 2. When I wore them I alway thought about tht game winning shot jordan made against the cavs. Kids can't do tht these days, most of em ddnt see MJ play. They don't even understand the magic behind these shoes. I still feel funny when I see any pair of 11's, especially the jamz. It's funny ppl can't relate to what jordan actually did in these shoes but the prices go up. I'm about to get the playoff 8s this month. Not because there the next release, but because I remember him winning his 3rd championship in them and I was only 4.

Wow....It's been a long time since my days here at Niketalk. I'm doing this post to share my thoughts on the prices of these kicks which are insane. ok ok first off I know that the value of a shoe is based on how much one is willing to pay for the sneakers. I also understand that (my own opinion) this entire sneaker culture has taken a turn for the worse. it's not like it used to be like back in my hay day.
I remember back in the 80's and begging my mom for the air jordan 1 which she bought at a cool 65.00 bucks over at sears. my mom who's worked her entire life in a factory sewing, really didn't have that much money, but she raised us well. now forward to the air jordan 2 and this shoe is a wopping 100 bucks like what the heck. so I begged her again this time she said no. through a trade I ended up getting them because I would die if I didn't get them. now fast forward to my adult life and now my daughter is 12 yrs old and because of me a jordan fanatic. being that I still have some connects I tend to get jordans, at times, a lil cheaper and earlier for my kid. sometimes how ever its impossible to find a jordan or a foam etc becvause it was limited etc.
I go to stores like flight club here in nyc and I look on ebay and these prices are simply incredible, the killer is that people still buy these sneakers no matter what. I went to flight club and bought my daughter the black toe 1's (i told her the story behind the shoe and the nike air on the tongue and blah blah she got hooked. i was able to get her size for 180.00. as I walked around the store I see retro 88's for 500 bucks it doesn't even say NIKE on the bottom. I look at the quality of these retros and it's sad that these kids continue to buy these badly made and over priced retros. I don't get my kid every single release but she does get kicks if it's not me, it's her mother who gets them. and i mean all types of kicks not just j's.. the last shoe she wanted was the grapes. when I saw the price I told her "them jordans cost too much" lol :lol: I had to trade some vintage polo gear just so that she could get them. maybe it's just that Im getting older and no longer collect kicks and now I'm seeing what a waste of money it is. i have the entire og jordan collection which im fine with, but instead of the sneaker industry getting better quality wise its horrible. i just don't see the point of paying so much money for retroes. then again at one point i did it. thanks for hearing me out! lol
Yep that was me right there as a kid. I asked for a pair of of Jordans for xmas in 85. My mom got me a pair of royals at a corner joint. That was alot of money for shoes then and for thrifty moms providing for a family, it was dumb to. But i was 10 and its what i wanted for xmas. By the time the 2s hit, game over. Just too much. Not until like 8s and up did i i have my own money but soon just got tired of the overall flashy stuff. Now as a parent, yeah its funny. I would love just once to get one of my kids a cool pair of j's, wife dont like it but most of em are elementary. My oldest though pfff. One year she wanted her osiris shoes. She really wanted em so wife got em. Im like wth does she need that for. Times change. Haha out of this one, its startin to make me feel old and decrepit.

Even as an adult my aunt said I cant buy shoes with my money till I leave. So I am rushing to get this CPA exam done because my aunt and uncle are unbearable. (Most Nigerian parents are). In the meanwhile I just order it to a friends house. I really only want one kid so I will be able to afford kicks for the both of us but I am not sure if I would ever buy my kid kicks.

I am torn between knowing the feeling of having parents that do not support your hobbies and not giving a **** since no one ever helped me

I hate to say it, but that Louis V price tag starts making more sense to me after the amount we drop on a pair of nikes and the quality they are.

I understand but at the end of the day, people are going to purchase the sneakers and the prices are going to continue to rise

everyone agreeing here(almost everyone) and everyone is counting his money for the upcoming releases.. :tongue: ehehehehe...

well, there problem now is that they release 5 retros per month..in old days there was only 1 jordan per year in 2-3 colorways..

Man...I just wore my 07 fire red 3's the other day and saw I paid $125. Where did a $35 increase come from in such a short period. It def made me feel some type of way

Man...I just wore my 07 fire red 3's the other day and saw I paid $125. Where did a $35 increase come from in such a short period. It def made me feel some type of way
Thats exactly why i just had to pass. Just dont have the 160 for them.

I agree that shoe prices are too high theres no doubt about that. 

What I dont understand about your situation though is that you are saying that the prices are too high yet you are buying them for your kid(from Flight Club too) who will outgrow them. I mean thats dope that shes got retroes I had retros growing up as well but she wont be able to rock them for a long time.

Its one thing though when youre an adult and you drop 160 dollars on some shoes because you can wear them as long they last really. You arent going to outgrow them in a year. 

As far as a waste of money thats really just depends on the person. If buying shoes is a waste of money to you then just dont do it, its pretty simple. Everything is a waste of money to somebody. 

I feel you on the prices both at retail and from the resellers. If you think they are too high then dont buy though, vote with your dollar.

I have to second this. As a parent you have to draw the line somewhere and buy what you can afford for your kids based on your income/lifestyle, etc... It is simply not possible to keep up with some 1% cat who buys his or her kids whatever the hell they want at whatever price to overcompensate for their lack of attention. Ain't nothing wrong with wearing a Nike/JB, Adidas, Reebok or a Payless joint that can be had on special or clearance.

A roof over the head in a good neighbourhood and equally good food on the plate trumps some low quality, variant-like retro.

:smh: I wish the days of copping a pair of XI's for $125 or some III's for $100 would come back.

I remember when the XIII's were $150 and I had to be my dad for them, I wore them everyday and beat them to the ground.. Fast forward some years later and I bought them myself for $175. But I NEVER wear them.

Welp.

everyone agreeing here(almost everyone) and everyone is counting his money for the upcoming releases.. :tongue: ehehehehe...
well, there problem now is that they release 5 retros per month..in old days there was only 1 jordan per year in 2-3 colorways..

I was just talking to a friend about this the other day. Its getting to be overkill. And I can honestly say that my passion is decreasing. Only a few gems I want now. Most are in my collection minus the extreme rare/limited. I don't see me buying Jordan's in the next 2-3 years. Minus carmines and hare 7, and maybe the black red 16 if they retro, but I'm good on everything else.

Other companies are dropping dope retros and new models in good colorways. Time to leave Jordans alone.

I remember begging my mom for the OG XIII's as well and she wouldn't even hear me out. She created a fuss even when she bought me and my younger brother AF1's for the beginning of the school year. I thank her though, it fueled my passion for working hard and buying my own things. My past 13 year old self would melt if he saw what I have in my closet now :wink:

It's funny because it went up $25 in 4 years (2011) and $10 in 2 years (2013)

If that fear pack 3 sells out at $175 expect the retro 3's to sell at $175 moving forward along with other number retros.

JB plan to sell all retros at $200 is closer than we know it. Give it 2 years....

I personally don't see the point in buying a resale kid's shoe. If my kid liked them a lot, I would tell them maybe for Christmas or something and look for a decent price, or I would just tell them to choose a different one for retail. They can find their grail when they get older and it will last them longer if they still like it that much.

Back
Top Bottom