I WANT TO BECOME A MATH TEACHER, WHICH MAJOR SHOULD I CHOOSE?

jt air jt

Banned
Mathematics or Civil Engineering?
nerd.gif

Thanks in advance...

a CE degree would yield you infinitely more range of job choices should you choose your mind after youre done. But out of all the engineering diciplines, CE has the least math pre-reqs. at least that was the case in my experience. I'd go with the CE major choice

Math, but if you gotta ask what you need to major,,,, then I dont want you teaching my kids bro

I'd recommend going with the engineering with an education minor or some education classes thrown in there. You'd be giving yourself more options (possibility of doing engineering in future) and also being in a field where your math skills are more practical rather than theoretical (ie mathematics major).

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Double major in Math & Education.

i think we done here.
nerd.gif

fam want the out clause with engineering degree to get money when the kids get on his nerves.
laugh.gif

in that case double major in engineering and education. 

You have to Major in education with a concentration in math. trust me...

What level of education though?
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by roc4life24

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Double major in Math & Education.

i think we done here.
nerd.gif

fam want the out clause with engineering degree to get money when the kids get on his nerves.
laugh.gif

in that case double major in engineering and education. 
Double major and already pursing an engineering degree? prepare to have no life. Engineering is already a major and a half
laugh.gif

education
the math you'll be teaching will be easier than college math, so no need to be a math major. unless you're trying to become a professor, in which case..well, i don't think this is the case, but you'd need a phd and lots of published work.

Originally Posted by Essential1

Such an absurdly dumb question

indifferent.gif
Originally Posted by Young Handsome

nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Either middle school or high school...

Originally Posted by il prescelto

education
the math you'll be teaching will be easier than college math, so no need to be a math major. unless you're trying to become a professor, in which case..well, i don't think this is the case, but you'd need a phd and lots of published work.

If he majors in math he would receive a math endorsement and would be qualified to teach various different math classes.

My wife is a math teacher.

Originally Posted by MoonMan818

You should major in geometry

tumblr_l9hnv0z0rC1qdkq1ko1_500.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Some universities have specific education degrees such as middle school, high school, elementary.  Some even have middle school math, high school math....etc.  But if I were you I would get some sort of math degree and mix it with something else, such as economics, business, or something you can apply to get jobs outside of teaching in case you get bored of it.  You're still going to get hired as a teacher but it leaves you with options outside of education.  To me, an education degree is almost as useless as a foreign language degree.  I don't understand why anyone would pursue a degree in Spanish for example. Can't you just go to another country and learn it? Then put on your resume that you're bilingual?

Originally Posted by JT AIR JT

Originally Posted by Essential1

Such an absurdly dumb question

indifferent.gif
Originally Posted by Young Handsome

nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Either middle school or high school...

How exactly did you decide you wanted to become a math teacher, seems a little random.  Just curious.

chris-hansen.jpg

Education or anything that has math in it.
I feel like to become a math teacher you must show your math capabilities in tests.
So you do not need to major in math necessary.

Yeah, if you get a mathmatics degree you will pretty much only be eligible to teach private school. You NEED to major in education with that concentration in math

Why on earth would anybody major in engineering just to be a teacher. Peep the engineering threads bo it's not a game.
laugh.gif

Why Civil Engineering haha.
But I think most schools have a Major for Math that is concentrated in teaching

Back
Top Bottom