I want to go to Law School...

Just took the Lsat, it was pretty grueling. Like most people said you have to know what you are getting into, I do not want to practice, but the degree itself is something that has always been a goal of mine. Good luck man.

Originally Posted by CJDynasty

I am a licensed attorney. I graduated in May and sworn into the Illinois Bar exam November 4th. I strongly advise you to evaluate, and reevaluate your reasoning for going to law school. Not that I think your reasoning is not valid, just that the work, in relation to a master's program, is unparralled and you might need more than that to get you through. Frankly, if you are just doing it to add letters at the end of your name, then you will be in for a rude awakening. So again, im not saying that you should not do it, but that you should think long and hard. It WILL be the most intense 3.5 years of your life. Thats a fact!
Thanks for the heads up. That read just made me think.

I am a licensed attorney. I graduated in May and sworn into the Illinois Bar exam November 4th. I strongly advise you to evaluate, and reevaluate your reasoning for going to law school. Not that I think your reasoning is not valid, just that the work, in relation to a master's program, is unparralled and you might need more than that to get you through. Frankly, if you are just doing it to add letters at the end of your name, then you will be in for a rude awakening. So again, im not saying that you should not do it, but that you should think long and hard. It WILL be the most intense 3.5 years of your life. Thats a fact!
Thanks for the heads up. That read just made me think.

if your really dedicated to something i dont know how anything could stop you, good luck op

if your really dedicated to something i dont know how anything could stop you, good luck op

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

Originally Posted by H TOWN HUSTLER

Originally Posted by suge67

law school does not equal growth of an individual in society

In my world it does, sorry for wanting to educate myself and find more challenges in life. Proceed with your life.

eek.gif

DEADED.

Yo, I think law school is a good move. It's going to come down to picking the right school for you and nailing the LSAT.

Listen, I speak from experience.  I am currently a 2L who has worked at a law firm prior to entering law school. Also, I have close friends and family members who are attorneys. Law school is not the fairy tale that American society portrays it to be.  It will chew you up, spit you out, and keep your $200k at the same time.  I'm not attacking you for wanting to better your life.  It just seems that you are misinformed as to what lies ahead if you pursue law school.  I suggest you work at a law firm, intern at a court, and talk to current and past lawyers in order to get a clearer picture of law school is about.  It is naive to enter law school without having any experience in the legal field.  There are other avenues for furthering one's education and contributing to society besides law school.  If you do attend law school I wish you luck.  Proceed with your life.   

In my world it does, sorry for wanting to educate myself and find more challenges in life. Proceed with your life.

eek.gif

DEADED.

Yo, I think law school is a good move. It's going to come down to picking the right school for you and nailing the LSAT.

Listen, I speak from experience.  I am currently a 2L who has worked at a law firm prior to entering law school. Also, I have close friends and family members who are attorneys. Law school is not the fairy tale that American society portrays it to be.  It will chew you up, spit you out, and keep your $200k at the same time.  I'm not attacking you for wanting to better your life.  It just seems that you are misinformed as to what lies ahead if you pursue law school.  I suggest you work at a law firm, intern at a court, and talk to current and past lawyers in order to get a clearer picture of law school is about.  It is naive to enter law school without having any experience in the legal field.  There are other avenues for furthering one's education and contributing to society besides law school.  If you do attend law school I wish you luck.  Proceed with your life.   

eek.gif

DEADED.

I appreciate your response, been doing some reading. It's something serious though...real serious, just read that NYTimes piece. Does seem ruthless.

eek.gif

DEADED.

I appreciate your response, been doing some reading. It's something serious though...real serious, just read that NYTimes piece. Does seem ruthless.

eek.gif

DEADED.

Only thing I can think of is debt/hell.

I'm going to follow your suggestions and find something to do part time in the county to get a taste of what law is like.

Any decent reads?

eek.gif

DEADED.

Only thing I can think of is debt/hell.

I'm going to follow your suggestions and find something to do part time in the county to get a taste of what law is like.

Any decent reads?

ThrowedInDaGame wrote:

H TOWN HUSTLER wrote:

suge67 wrote:

eek.gif

DEADED.

I'll cosign this except for I'm a 3L. I went through a MAcc program at a top 15 school and Law School is a whole different animal. It's something that needs to be seriously thought about and you need to have a driving reason for why you're there. Because it's too much to go just to go. Make sure it serves a purpose. Best of luck if you go, work will always be there.

I disagree at needing to work in a law firm or a court before entering law school. You need to think about where you want to end up and get your way into that field. Personally I will not be going to a law firm, I'll be going to an accounting firm (getting LLM in taxation).

ThrowedInDaGame wrote:

H TOWN HUSTLER wrote:

suge67 wrote:

eek.gif

DEADED.

I'll cosign this except for I'm a 3L. I went through a MAcc program at a top 15 school and Law School is a whole different animal. It's something that needs to be seriously thought about and you need to have a driving reason for why you're there. Because it's too much to go just to go. Make sure it serves a purpose. Best of luck if you go, work will always be there.

I disagree at needing to work in a law firm or a court before entering law school. You need to think about where you want to end up and get your way into that field. Personally I will not be going to a law firm, I'll be going to an accounting firm (getting LLM in taxation).

I'm in law school currently. Determination and strong will is a must. I have to stale face alot of friends and fam when they ask why I am working so hard, or how come I never want to do anything. Trust, you will never want to do anything, but sleep. It can be done however, if you believe in your own abilities, then, no ceilings. Don't waste your money or your time on a fantasy though, evaluate your true reason for subjecting yourself to these rigorous challenges, and if it's what you truly want, good luck brother.

I'm in law school currently. Determination and strong will is a must. I have to stale face alot of friends and fam when they ask why I am working so hard, or how come I never want to do anything. Trust, you will never want to do anything, but sleep. It can be done however, if you believe in your own abilities, then, no ceilings. Don't waste your money or your time on a fantasy though, evaluate your true reason for subjecting yourself to these rigorous challenges, and if it's what you truly want, good luck brother.

If you don't really really want it, don't do it.

this ain't 2004, cats aren't graduating with multiple offers for 120k+.

Right now, unless you know exactly what you want to do, and have a solid plan/connections, coming out of school with 100k in student debt making $20 an hour doing doc review is not a good investment.

Luckily, my wife graduated 2009 and didn't get an offer from the firm she summered with solely off economics. The year before, they made offers to 7 of 8 summers, my wife's year they made 3 offers to 6 summers. She took the bar a semester late and ended up temping for a firm, doing legal sec. work for 5 months before they made her an associates offer.

I know a whole lot of people who's start dates were deffered from 6-18 months (18 months the longest i've personally heard), offers being rescinded, salary cut after they start, or just lower starting salaries.

If you don't really really want it, don't do it.

this ain't 2004, cats aren't graduating with multiple offers for 120k+.

Right now, unless you know exactly what you want to do, and have a solid plan/connections, coming out of school with 100k in student debt making $20 an hour doing doc review is not a good investment.

Luckily, my wife graduated 2009 and didn't get an offer from the firm she summered with solely off economics. The year before, they made offers to 7 of 8 summers, my wife's year they made 3 offers to 6 summers. She took the bar a semester late and ended up temping for a firm, doing legal sec. work for 5 months before they made her an associates offer.

I know a whole lot of people who's start dates were deffered from 6-18 months (18 months the longest i've personally heard), offers being rescinded, salary cut after they start, or just lower starting salaries.

A lot of knowledge has been dropped. Take all of this in consideration before making your decision. Not meant to scare, but inform. Thats what I am about. But, when its all said and done. The knowledge and skill set that I have learned, and the fraternity that I have entered becoming an attorney, is second to none! So beyond the monetary advantages that one would link with being an Attorney, you can definitely hang your hat on that! Best of luck and be strong!

A lot of knowledge has been dropped. Take all of this in consideration before making your decision. Not meant to scare, but inform. Thats what I am about. But, when its all said and done. The knowledge and skill set that I have learned, and the fraternity that I have entered becoming an attorney, is second to none! So beyond the monetary advantages that one would link with being an Attorney, you can definitely hang your hat on that! Best of luck and be strong!

Id this like a college fraternity or am I misunderstanding what your saying? What pros/cons would you say there are to joining a fraternity?

Id this like a college fraternity or am I misunderstanding what your saying? What pros/cons would you say there are to joining a fraternity?

Originally Posted by 2LipsLegit

He is referring to fraternity in a broader sense, meaning the mutual respect that lawyers have for one another.

Originally Posted by 2LipsLegit

He is referring to fraternity in a broader sense, meaning the mutual respect that lawyers have for one another.

Back
Top Bottom