If Ben Roethlisberger wins his 3rd SB, where's his place amongst the all-time greats?

Originally Posted by JUS3

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

So Ben isn't good anymore now?

Comical, if it weren't for that dumb 15 yard penalty they probably would've had a chance to drive down the field to end the game.
True, but you can't forget how bad he was the entire game. 
He didn't look that solid but I think he only had a handful of less completions than Rodgers, and Rodgers had some excellent protection for the most part while Big Ben was running for his life almost the entire game, GB had a damn good game plan yesterday.
...and despite all that Ben scored some points for his team in that 3rd quarter and were within 3 points in the 4th, this was a very competitive game. If the Steelers don't fumble that ball, who knows what would've happened, game changing play.

I just find it funny how some people try to discredit his achievements so far, yet they will praise the QB's who's stats are sexy yet can't win a big game with everything on the line. Fantasy football nerds.

Comical, if it weren't for that dumb 15 yard penalty they probably would've had a chance to drive down the field to end the game.
He didn't look that solid but I think he only had a handful of less completions than Rodgers, and Rodgers had some excellent protection for the most part while Big Ben was running for his life almost the entire game, GB had a damn good game plan yesterday.
...and despite all that Ben scored some points for his team in that 3rd quarter and were within 3 points in the 4th, this was a very competitive game. If the Steelers don't fumble that ball, who knows what would've happened, game changing play.

I just find it funny how some people try to discredit his achievements so far, yet they will praise the QB's who's stats are sexy yet can't win a big game with everything on the line. Fantasy football nerds.

Oh and nice jinx there OP. My dude dmx tried his damnedest to prevent it. Locked it twice and still couldn't stop it. The deed was done. 
ohwell.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Oh and nice jinx there OP. My dude dmx tried his damnedest to prevent it. Locked it twice and still couldn't stop it. The deed was done. 
ohwell.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

How's it a +%!$$%$ jinx when it was a hypothetical question...

I said...IF Ben wins....

Where did I ever say it was a guarantee that he'd win? I'm sure my thread is the reason why the Steelers lost
laugh.gif

Steelers are in a good place....you have a YOUNG franchise QB at the helm for many more years. He'll probably get another shot at winning a ring before it's all said and done.

How's it a +%!$$%$ jinx when it was a hypothetical question...

I said...IF Ben wins....

Where did I ever say it was a guarantee that he'd win? I'm sure my thread is the reason why the Steelers lost
laugh.gif

Steelers are in a good place....you have a YOUNG franchise QB at the helm for many more years. He'll probably get another shot at winning a ring before it's all said and done.

Yea yea. I know what type of question it was. Understand I'm just very superstitous when it comes to the my team(s). When I saw thread a few weeks I knew it was going to be bad for us. These hypotheticals are always bad news for whoever the topic is about. That's just my opinion of course.

Yea yea. I know what type of question it was. Understand I'm just very superstitous when it comes to the my team(s). When I saw thread a few weeks I knew it was going to be bad for us. These hypotheticals are always bad news for whoever the topic is about. That's just my opinion of course.

No.  Not at all.  What myself, Deuce, Gunna and others with the same opinion have been saying this ENTIRE thread, is that you need more than team postseason success to be considered an all time great.  No one is praising QBs with big stats and cant win the big game.  What we are saying is to be considered an all time great, you must either have a gaudy resume of personal achievements or a very good resume of personal achievements coupled with postseason success.  Those are the only two ways you can be considered an all time great.  Ben is not in either category.  
Maybe one day he can fall into one of those categories.   But right now he doesnt.  

No.  Not at all.  What myself, Deuce, Gunna and others with the same opinion have been saying this ENTIRE thread, is that you need more than team postseason success to be considered an all time great.  No one is praising QBs with big stats and cant win the big game.  What we are saying is to be considered an all time great, you must either have a gaudy resume of personal achievements or a very good resume of personal achievements coupled with postseason success.  Those are the only two ways you can be considered an all time great.  Ben is not in either category.  
Maybe one day he can fall into one of those categories.   But right now he doesnt.  

Originally Posted by AG 47

Originally Posted by PolosandDunks

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

Originally Posted by acidicality

He's a very good QB and most teams would love to have him. However, he's not in the same caliber of the elite QBs despite his record in the postseason because IMO of what he has around him, a very good defense. He's clutch when it counts, but he's not in the same caliber as Brady, Manning, and Rodgers (yes, he belongs there now).

While, I don't necessarily disagree with you, this is not the correct basis for arguing against Big Ben being elite.

Most of the Superbowl winning QB's have had Top 10 defenses the same year, including NT's messiah...Tom Brady.
and let's not forget the fact that manning (the true NT messiah) couldn't win until he had a top 10 defense as well...i think that speaks more to the fact that typically it's tough to win without a good defense. there's always exceptions, of course. but in general, need the help of a defense.
when was this?
laugh.gif
you guys just say anything sometimes.

ALL those other QBs you name. Brady, (even Rodgers now), Big Ben had crazy defenses. Do you see that Defense the Colts have?

Also im glad this Big Ben talk can now come to a rest. Son played like @%++ last night / Top 3 in the league are now Rodgers, Brady, Manning...Easily

I don't remember where that Colts D ranked statistically that season, but I do remember they got their *$@# together come playoff time. They were SOLID against the run.
I'll let someone else look up the stats though.

and It's Brady, Manning, Rodgers in that order? Where do we rank Drew Brees? He did out duel Manning just one season ago to get the Saints their first SB.
It's not right to leave him out of the conversation completely.

Nah they were top 10 that season. I know what you mean how they stepped it up come playoff time though.

Nah i didnt put it in order. I cant even rank em but they are def top 3 right now. Brees i cant even put up there anymore after he lost to damn Seahawks
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
sick.gif
...He top 5 though.

Originally Posted by PolosandDunks

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

Originally Posted by acidicality

He's a very good QB and most teams would love to have him. However, he's not in the same caliber of the elite QBs despite his record in the postseason because IMO of what he has around him, a very good defense. He's clutch when it counts, but he's not in the same caliber as Brady, Manning, and Rodgers (yes, he belongs there now).

While, I don't necessarily disagree with you, this is not the correct basis for arguing against Big Ben being elite.

Most of the Superbowl winning QB's have had Top 10 defenses the same year, including NT's messiah...Tom Brady.
and let's not forget the fact that manning (the true NT messiah) couldn't win until he had a top 10 defense as well...i think that speaks more to the fact that typically it's tough to win without a good defense. there's always exceptions, of course. but in general, need the help of a defense.
when was this?
laugh.gif
you guys just say anything sometimes.

ALL those other QBs you name. Brady, (even Rodgers now), Big Ben had crazy defenses. Do you see that Defense the Colts have?

Also im glad this Big Ben talk can now come to a rest. Son played like @%++ last night / Top 3 in the league are now Rodgers, Brady, Manning...Easily

I don't remember where that Colts D ranked statistically that season, but I do remember they got their *$@# together come playoff time. They were SOLID against the run.
I'll let someone else look up the stats though.

and It's Brady, Manning, Rodgers in that order? Where do we rank Drew Brees? He did out duel Manning just one season ago to get the Saints their first SB.
It's not right to leave him out of the conversation completely.

Nah they were top 10 that season. I know what you mean how they stepped it up come playoff time though.

Nah i didnt put it in order. I cant even rank em but they are def top 3 right now. Brees i cant even put up there anymore after he lost to damn Seahawks
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
sick.gif
...He top 5 though.

Rodgers has a good defense too, and yeah you're right, every SB team in general usually will need a good one to win. But the Steelers have always had a great defense, they usually put Ben in a good position to succeed, to the point that he can have horrible games in the Super Bowl and still win. I wasn't arguing he wasn't elite necessarily.

Rodgers has a good defense too, and yeah you're right, every SB team in general usually will need a good one to win. But the Steelers have always had a great defense, they usually put Ben in a good position to succeed, to the point that he can have horrible games in the Super Bowl and still win. I wasn't arguing he wasn't elite necessarily.

Well since number 3 didn't happen are we ok to close this since it is a moot point for at least year?

Well since number 3 didn't happen are we ok to close this since it is a moot point for at least year?

Originally Posted by Winged Wheel

Ben will win his 3rd before Peyton/Rodgers wins his 2nd or Brady wins his 4th.
Co-signs. Pittsburgh's window is open as well as Green Bay's though. It would be sweet to see these two teams square off again in the Super Bowl.

Originally Posted by Winged Wheel

Ben will win his 3rd before Peyton/Rodgers wins his 2nd or Brady wins his 4th.
Co-signs. Pittsburgh's window is open as well as Green Bay's though. It would be sweet to see these two teams square off again in the Super Bowl.

Back
Top Bottom