If the Big 3 win another ring, where does this place their legacy?

I've spent years arguing that KG, under any circumstance other than the crap management that the TWolves had, would be neck-and-neck with Duncan for Best PF of our era.
Now that he has a legitimate shot to win number 2 after missing the playoffs last season, does he get a push up over Barkley and into Duncan status with another ring?

Does Pierce get mentioned as one of the all-time great Celts with a #2?  A part of me thinks he belongs up there considering his career-long stay there (+ the near death stabbing always makes for great tv), but it's weird thinking of him alongside Havlicek and Russell.

Finally, does Jesus jump over Reggie "Knick Killer" Miller in the all-time list?

KEVIN GARNETT
Limped around all season, looked washed-up, got his legs back for the playoffs, enjoyed a monster Cleveland series, then faded noticeably against Orlando. I have no idea what to expect from him in the Finals. None. But he hasn't gotten enough credit for reinventing himself in the playoffs as a complementary asset -- a little like Pippen on the 2000 Blazers, David Robinson on the 2003 Spurs or Karl Malone on the 2004 Lakers -- something I never thought his ego would allow. I had him ranked No. 21 in my NBA Hall of Fame Pyramid, with Barkley at No. 19 and Malone at No. 18. If he wins a second ring? I think he leapfrogs both of them.
PAUL PIERCE
Blessed by the great Bob Ryan as the best one-on-one scorer in Celtics history, and with reason: He has played some transcendent playoff games, with Game 6 of the Orlando series being the latest addition to the list. His past three postseasons: 57 games, 20-6-4, 44 percent shooting, and he slowed LeBron down just enough in two series. I had him ranked No. 54 in my book; if he can score consistently on Artest and lead Boston to a second title, I'd have to bump him to the 44-47 range. A big "if." And by the way, the collective venom of Lakers fans toward Pierce will be one of the single best subplots of this series. Just wait until he gets belted on a drive at the Staples, goes to the ground and takes an extra 2-3 seconds to get up.
RAY ALLEN
Leapfrogged Reggie Miller on my Hall of Fame Pyramid with yet another underrated/efficient/clutch playoffs highlighted by Game 5 of the Cavs series (six 3s), and Game 1 (25 points) and Game 6 (consecutive third-quarter 3s that effectively iced the game) of the Orlando series. Considering the Celtics did everything but put him on Craigslist in February, calling his play a "resurgence" would be an understatement. If you're measuring 2010 NBA players simply by who terrifies opposing fans most when he's lining up an open shot in a tight playoff game, Kobe is first … and Ray Allen is second. At age 34. Relatively amazing. Throw in his rivalry with Kobe (they hate each other) and L.A.'s difficulty matching up with him and here's your long-shot Finals MVP bet (20-to-1).

Originally Posted by gko2408

I've spent years arguing that KG, under any circumstance other than the crap management that the TWolves had, would be neck-and-neck with Duncan for Best PF of our era.
Now that he has a legitimate shot to win number 2 after missing the playoffs last season, does he get a push up over Barkley and into Duncan status with another ring?

Does Pierce get mentioned as one of the all-time great Celts with a #2?  A part of me thinks he belongs up there considering his career-long stay there (+ the near death stabbing always makes for great tv), but it's weird thinking of him alongside Havlicek and Russell.

Finally, does Jesus jump over Reggie "Knick Killer" Miller in the all-time list?

ao2n9j.gif

Yes to the last one
pimp.gif

win or lose Pierce is already one of the all time great Celtics to me.  He spent his whole career with the Celtics and as much as I don't like him for what he did to my team in 2008 you can't the deny the fact that he stepped his game up in the 2008 Finals and was huge in games 1, 4, and 5. Win or lose Pierce is up there with the all time Celtic greats and deserves his #34 retired with the many Celtics numbers that have been retired.

if they win, you can make the argument for Garnett being on the level of Duncan but I just don't see it. Duncan is arguably a top 10 player of all time and was a straight beast in his prime. Still if they win you can have an argument for Garnett being ranked up there.

i would still have Reggie over Ray Allen win or lose, it's not a discredit to Ray Allen because despite my anti Celtic feelings, I like his game but Reggie was that dude, he carried Pacer teams that overacheived year in year out and took some of the best teams in the 1990's to the limit and that 2000 Finals series against the Lakers was alot closer then people think it was. Reggie was cold blooded clutch and still put up really strong numbers late into his career while staying with the same team. He could have easily won a ring or 2 if he decided to leave Indiana and go to a contender after they cleaned house with most of the team after the 2000 finals. Hell Boston wanted him on their team before 07-08 so he coulda won a ring with them.

All in all the Big 3 are for sure hall of famers but what will hurt KG and Ray Allen legacy wise is that they didn't stay with one team.

I hate when guys act like KG was nothing back in his prime. However, i can admit that Duncan is definitely the better player.

and Reggie is still better imo.

Back
Top Bottom