Illmatic is the best Musical album of all time. Lets take a trip down memory lane

I'll leave these 2 things here.....

Paid In Full

and....

Dart_Adams ‏@Dart_Adams 37m
If you have to Google anything that happened before 1989 then please don't try to write GOAT lists in regards to Rap or Hip Hop culture...

Music is subjective and many people put other records ahead of it 

But most people ive met will admit that it is FLAWLESS

Maybe not your favorite but it is flawless. Not a single hiccup on that cd.

I skip "Represent" when I listen to the album.

10 tracks, one intro, Halftime was from a soundtrack that came out 2 years earlier.

7 new flawless tracks though besides all that.

Feel like I'm on a Youtube video's comment section with Nas, Big, Jay, Pac being discussed with Lil Wayne... :smh:

And Represent is definitely part of the flawlessness. I know it's subjective but you can't tell me it isn't perfect with the album.

Last edited:
I only liked 4 songs from it. Maybe it's a regional / age thing, but it doesn't do it for me like others. 

Feel like I'm on a Youtube video's comment section with Nas, Big, Jay, Pac being discussed with Lil Wayne... :smh:

And Represent is definitely part of the flawlessness. I know it's subjective but you can't tell me it isn't perfect with the album.

Well, I skip it for a reason.

Most overrated album of all time.

Hov and Nas are the most overrated rappers of all time.

:smh: I mean there are opinions, and there is **** like this here. I try not to let myself get trolled on NT, but this post hurt my feelings :smh:

That being said Illmatic is in my top 5 favorite rap albums. It isn't #1 but its up there with ATliens and Amerikkas Most wanted

mean.gif
I mean there are opinions, and there is **** like this here. I try not to let myself get trolled on NT, but this post hurt my feelings
mean.gif

That being said Illmatic is in my top 5 favorite rap albums. It isn't #1 but its up there with ATliens and Amerikkas Most wanted
People automatically have to like this album?

:smh: I mean there are opinions, and there is **** like this here. I try not to let myself get trolled on NT, but this post hurt my feelings :smh:

That being said Illmatic is in my top 5 favorite rap albums. It isn't #1 but its up there with ATliens and Amerikkas Most wanted[/quote]

Forgot about this one. That was a hell of an album as well. Too many to call one the GOAT imo....

Tupac basically keep mumbling about his n****z in a van ready to ride...

i can respect it but it compare it to something else because Nasty Nas got that one...

that's literally not at all true.

people will always say Pac wasn't lyrical ( i disagree) but to say

what you just said is false.

Last edited:
pac was lyrical,  he put out 3 classic albums in a year and a half span from 95-96.

alot of his stuff could've done without all those outlawz features though.

illmatic is a classic, but my personal preference is it was written out of all nas's albums.    i finally got to see him perform live last year, he did a post game concert at a Mets game last summer. a good expierence to say the least.

Ced I love you and all bro but I'm sorry PAC does not have 3 classic albums bro. He has 1 classic and another very good album then all the rest suck balls

Ced I love you and all bro but I'm sorry PAC does not have 3 classic albums bro. He has 1 classic and another very good album then all the rest suck balls

I could see one calling All Eyez, Me against the world, and Makaveli classics. Me Against the World>>>>>all others imo.

Street Dreams wasnt even the best song on the album.

Watch dem ****** :pimp:

It was Written > illmatic

And i bang the infamous and hell on earth more than illmatic. Those 2 albums i can play from start to end without skipping a track

On illmatic i don't really listen to one time for your mind

Last edited:
classic album, not the best.

This

bro..................what? the greatest musical album ever dawg?

i can't deal with y'all tonight :lol:

And this.

+

I agree with OP. Music is all subjective. NT'ers are just butt hurt over Grail sneakers, classic albums and women. Who cares what the next man thinks is perfect and not perfect, I personally think "DoggyStyle" is the most overrated debut of all time. I think Lauryn Hill has the best Hip-Hop debut album of all time. Can'ron is my favorite rapper of all time. All opinionated.

Oh and the greatest musical album of all time is "Off the Wall". Michaels debut.

Nas was/is a rapper I could never really get into.  I like a few of his songs but overall his albums do nothing for me.  Same with BIG.

To me, Pac had the best discography (excluding the trash that released after his death, smh).  The 7 Day Theory is such a dark themed album, really gritty and raw.  All Eyez On Me was a Westcoast classic.  Great production, awesome features.  Thug Life was a dope album as well. 

I always find "Best album of all time" threads entertaining because it always ends in people arguing.  You're never going to be able to make a universal list because everyone's tastes are different.

People automatically have to like this album?

Absolutely not, but to call it the most overrated album of all time? I don't know man...

Its all subjective either way mane. I consider me against the world, all eyez on me and makaveli all classics and liked thug life. Didn't care to much for his other two albums. They had hits but weren't great imo

Illmatic is my favorite rap album but I have no problem with people saying it's not the greatest and they prefer a number of albums over it, we all have different tastes and no album is ever going to considered the single best by a majority. However, people saying it's overrated and only effected the NY rap scene is just dumb and wrong.

Also since we're having a little discussion about Pac, here's a little piece about him and his love for Illmatic...

Despite these regional differences, Hampton credits Illmatic with providing a common artistic ground for rappers on the West Coast and East Coast rap scenes. In the 2009 essay "Born Alone, Die Alone," she recounts the album's impact on West Coast artist, Tupac Shakur.[106] While working as a journalist for The Source in 1994, Hampton covered three court cases involving Tupac. Around this time, she received an advance-copy of Illmatic and immediately dubbed a cassette version for Tupac, who became "an instant convert" of the album. The next day, she writes, Tupac "arrived in his assigned courtroom blasting Illmatic so loudly that the bailiff yelled at him to turn it off before the judge took his seat on the bench." In her essay, Hampton implies that Nas' lyricism might have influenced Tupac's acclaimed album, Me Against the World, which was recorded that same year.[106]

After all this Illmatic talk I just listened to it again... His flow is too wavy man.

No doubt it's one of the best albums.

But Ready To Die HAS to be up there too
grin.gif

Great thread. I think the consensus here is clearly in 90's is where rap was at it's peak. So many classic albums were produced in that era that had it's own lane and provided variety for the masses. Too many to count. Can't even argue with some here that have Illmatic being the best, it was a dope album, but OB4CL, Ready to Die, is right on par for the ones that like storytelling. Then you have classic joints for example like All Eyes on Me, Mobb Deep - The Imfamous, ATCQ - Midnight Marauders, Aquemni, UGK - Ridin Dirty, and Doggystyle all classics IMO, but was all different in terms of the sound and content the albums brought to the table. Rap today is just a shell of itself. 
mean.gif

That would probably only be the "consensus" for people who weren't there to see it explode in the late 80s.

The 90s may have been its peak because it was the first full decade where the music was prominent and, at least in the early part of the decade, hadn't been completely corrupted by corporate America.

87-89 were probably the most important years in the genres history and were my favorite years in terms of the music.

That would probably only be the "consensus" for people who weren't there to see it explode in the late 80s.

The 90s may have been its peak because it was the first full decade where the music was prominent and, at least in the early part of the decade, hadn't been completely corrupted by corporate America.

87-89 were probably the most important years in the genres history and were my favorite years in terms of the music.

ehh. can't get into too much 80s hip-hop. i respect it though.

people could try to say it's an age thing, but outside of hip-hop

i love lots of music from the 70s and 80s. *shrugs* 80s hip-hop

bores the **** out of me.

You're entitled to your opinion.

I can't see how those classic NWA records, the Beastie Boys, the classic Run DMC, Eric B and Rakim joints etc. could be considered "boring".

But all good.

Funny, I remember people saying they found Kendrick and "Good Kid...." "boring".

Sadly, I think there's too much theatrical ******** in Rap now a days that people can't just appreciate great music. Not directed at you, just speaking generally.

You're entitled to your opinion.

I can't see how those classic NWA records, the Beastie Boys, the classic Run DMC, Eric B and Rakim joints etc. could be considered "boring".

But all good.

Funny, I remember people saying they found Kendrick and "Good Kid...." "boring".

Sadly, I think there's too much theatrical ******** in Rap now a days that people can't just appreciate great music. Not directed at you, just speaking generally.

Yeah I feel you. But the rhyme schemes and the beats = put me to sleep.

Damn near intolerable. And yeah it has nothing to do with comparison a far as theatrics today because artists who make perfect music to me are Pac, Outkast, Marvin Gaye, Kellz, Jon B, Cameo, Earth, Wind, & Fire, Toro y Moi just to name a few. So the way Chuck D, Beastie Boys rapped + their beats does absolutely nothing for me. Like I said though I can respect it. Even the likes of Rakim. I understand the context of his rhyme scheme and his innovative patterns but that **** sounds simple as **** musically and lyrically. I do love Cube in particular and Brass Monkey by Beastie Boys. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom