Information Technology (IT)

This sucks, go in to a bit of trouble when I went to community college and I owe them so of course with that I can't obtain my transcripts. WGU is requiring I either take a class or take a cert to get in. I'll have to do the cert.

congrats. Biggest pay jump will always be changing jobs though lol.
Thanks man. I know lol that's why I'm like ehhh this raise isn't much over our annual raise of 5%.

My dad was right, never let them do your promotion and raise at the same time lol.

Thanks man. I know lol that's why I'm like ehhh this raise isn't much over our annual raise of 5%.

My dad was right, never let them do your promotion and raise at the same time lol.

yup because they will just use bringing you up to the next pay grade from your promotion as your "raise".

yup because they will just use bringing you up to the next pay grade from your promotion as your "raise".
That's kind of what it looks like they did, but I won't be sure until the promotion takes effect next month.

I was above mid pay for a level 1, but I have a feeling I'm below mid pay for level 2.

Last edited:
just signed up for this class called CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker) anyone in here have that cert?

yea I been studying for this cert on my own for the longest and reached a part in the book where I couldn't do it on my own and made the jump to just pay for the class. After I finish CEH it goes into ECSA

Thought about CEH, maybe after I get more experience. Is Penetration testing worthwhile? Was thinking of taking a course. But I guess that ties into CEH somewhat.

Last edited:
Thought about CEH, maybe after I get more experience. Is Penetration testing worthwhile? Was thinking of taking a course. But I guess that ties into CEH somewhat.

That ish is easy. The test itself isn't technical but if you happen to get a decent book, curriculum with labs. They can be informative. OSCP is the real deal. They give you an environment, time limit and you have to exploit a system for the exam.

That ish is easy. The test itself isn't technical but if you happen to get a decent book, curriculum with labs. They can be informative. OSCP is the real deal. They give you an environment, time limit and you have to exploit a system for the exam.

i hear nobody is impressed by the CEH lol

i hear nobody is impressed by the CEH lol

I've taken it twice. Passed twice. I let it lapse and didn't pay the CE and submit CEUs. But I'm going to maintain it. I'm in the military so I'm trying to maintain my ish. I let my CASP lapse too. Now, I'm banging my head becuz I have to retake it.

Just accepted a job offer to be an IT Consultant.

:pimp: pretty excited to start my first gig out of college.

View media item 2332623

https://hired.com/blog/highlights/hired-releases-second-annual-global-state-salaries-report/

Just wanted to drop this here and the programming thread. Won't get these numbers without plenty of experience (4-5 years minimum) and knowing your worth.

lol exactly. These type of things warp dudes brains. To be real unless you are in an inflated market like NYC or the Bay, you aint making over 120k in a non senior role, and 4-5 yrs experience is more so mid level than senior.

lol exactly. These type of things warp dudes brains. To be real unless you are in an inflated market like NYC or the Bay, you aint making over 120k in a non senior role, and 4-5 yrs experience is more so mid level than senior.
My coworker and I just hit mid level at 2 years and we were told at 5 years we will be promoted to level 3.

It depends on your background, but 120K can be done with 4-5 years of experience I think 5-7 is the sweetspot.

Looking at reqs a lot require at least 3 years of experience to be considered for senior.

With a Master's and at least 2 years of experience you are considered Senior, Software Engineer 3. At least this is the case for contracts in the DMV area.

Last edited:
My coworker and I just hit mid level at 2 years and we were told at 5 years we will be promoted to level 3.
It depends on your background, but 120K can be done with 4-5 years of experience I think 5-7 is the sweetspot.

Looking at reqs a lot require at least 3 years of experience to be considered for senior.

With a Master's and at least 2 years of experience you are considered Senior, Software Engineer 3. At least this is the case for contracts in the DMV area.

DC Salaries are inflated though. Making 60-80k in DC is = to making 40-60k in most cities.

NYC, SF, LA, Seattle, and DC are literally anomalies when it comes to salaries due to their high costs of living.

For example if you make 150k in ATL that would be like making 217k in DC.
http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/

This is why I said I would not go to Cali unless I was making 250k or more, but most of the Unicorn tech companies senior roles are making 300-500k total compensation when you factor Salary, Stock, etc.

DC Salaries are inflated though. Making 60-80k in DC is = to making 40-60k in most cities.

NYC, SF, LA, Seattle, and DC are literally anomalies when it comes to salaries due to their high costs of living.

For example if you make 150k in ATL that would be like making 217k in DC.
http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/

This is why I said I would not go to Cali unless I was making 250k or more, but most of the Unicorn tech companies senior roles are making 300-500k total compensation when you factor Salary, Stock, etc.
Yeah I know the salaries are inflated, I still believe it depends how you live here.

I know people living modestly and with roommates making 80K+, then I know people making 65K with new cars and luxury apartments.

I just looked up the average senior software engineer salary for atlanta and its 95K , national average is 115K . That's not bad at all. 

Last edited:
I live in the SF Bay Area and you don't need to make $250k to live out here. I say that thinking most people are flexible though (in terms of travel to work and such). SF and Palo Alto areas are extremely expensive.

If you want to buy a house and are starting from scratch you need to be making $150k (at least as a joint income with your partner). But this is obviously dependent on the person though. I know guys making $80k and have made plenty of moves living out here in the Bay.

Last edited:
I live in the SF Bay Area and you don't need to make $250k to live out here. I say that thinking most people are flexible though (in terms of travel to work and such). SF and Palo Alto areas are extremely expensive.

If you want to buy a house and are starting from scratch you need to be making $150k (at least as a joint income with your partner). But this is obviously dependent on the person though. I know guys making $80k and have made plenty of moves living out here in the Bay.

My thing is why go to the Bay to make 130k, when I can make 130k in ATL and it actually go far.

Lets be real, I shouldnt have to make six figures in order to live "modest". People should be able to live comfortably on 40k, not be damn near in poverty which is how it is in many cities.

My thing is why go to the Bay to make 130k, when I can make 130k in ATL and it actually go far.

Lets be real, I shouldnt have to make six figures in order to live "modest". People should be able to live comfortably on 40k, not be damn near in poverty which is how it is in many cities.

Better weather and legal weed

And I love Atlanta.

But people just have preferences and are willing to pay more for other places

Back
Top Bottom