Information Technology (IT)

Just graduated with a degree in Business Admin & Management Information Systems. 

Looking for tips/jobs positions I should get into for entry level! (Information Systems or Information Technology related)

Glad you made this thread.
Once you get your first IT gig, you'll learn so much. Get in wherever you can and try to learn as much as possible. Look for IT Technician jobs or possibly an entry level system administrator/network administrator position depending on how much experience you got during college.

What's your ideal career in IT?

Been working for a major service provider(net,phone,cable,etc) for about 2 years now..can't say I hate it yet. Possibilities are unlimited going foward.

Network Admin Here For A Small Company In MD Literally Two Traffic Lights Outside Of DC :lol:

3 Years In Learning Everything As I Go Which Has Been Awesome. Had 5 Years Of IT Support Prior Tho.

Looking To Go Into Some Consulting/Outsourced Work Soon To Get Paid For Wat I Do For My Company Now To Make Money

Funny Im Just Now Considering How Scarce Folks With Jays/Nikes Are In IT, I Always Get Random Compliments/Questions Bout My Shoes.

If You Guys Have Any Questions Bout SQL/Networking/Server Management/AD/Watever Im Down To Give My Unexpert-Expert Advice :rofl:

IT + sneakerhead = rare breed. I'm glad we have NT to connect the sneakerheads in the IT world.

Do you have any Cisco certs?

Nope, Studying For Them Now. Lucked Up And Talked My Company Into Paying For Them And Any Training

So I'm Trying To Do Well And Not Waste Their Money And Pass Once Lol

@4318michaeljohnson4318

That Sounds Like A Real Nightmare Waiting To Happen Having Your DR Resource Offsite At Your CEOs House.

At My Company We Do Onsite Backups With Symantec (Love/Hate Feelings Towards It) For Redundancy But Recently Moved To Zetta. It's Cloud Based And Literally The Easiest Backup/Restore Software I've Seen So Far.

Not Sure If It Will Be In Your Companies Price Range But Def Maybe Worth A Demo/Look. http://www.zetta.net

We use a simple raid 1 software array for our servers data and we have it backed up on another hard drive. On site there are 2 back ups going for the data. Most of our manufacturing and research data are on the nas devices and they are in raid arrays and backed up again on the windows server and an external.

Our CEO lives only about 20 minutes away from the office at worst we may have 2 hours of not having the data but the only time we would use the date would be if our facility was burned down. The other backups have worked really well in any situation were we have needed to obtain data. 175 a month is about 6-7 months of that service.

Ok, I See Now. I Thought You Just Had All Your Marbles In The One Basket At The CEOs House.

Checking in.

I have a degree in teaching (never got my cert though), but am now working at the Navy Yard in DC. Eight months in, I like the field. I do installations/activations/deactivations/moves moreso than troubleshooting, but I'm learning gradually.

I have a BS in MIS and currently work as a software engineer. A funny thing that I have noticed is whenever someone asks what I do for a living and I tell them I'm a software engineer, the first thing that comes out of their mouth is "Oh you must be smart". I understand it's a compliment, but its almost always followed by "can you fix my computer?" 
mean.gif

LOLakers U work at the navy yard? I just started working here in May...Building 36. Where do u work? What do u do? Also, shot out to the members who helped me get here with resume help. You know who u are.

Been doing IT for 6 years. Bored of the work. I deal with the systems and network infrastructure. I do it all from, setting up domains, firewalls, routing, purchasing, end user support, etc. I don't have any certs except a bachelors in Computer systems. Its a cool job. I have lots of downtime and can wear sneakers all day every day.

When I first started out, loved it but after getting deeper into it, I realized I don't think this is for me. Just really bored of the work. I'm in the mist of moving into a completely different field.

LOLakers U work at the navy yard? I just started working here in May...Building 36. Where do u work? What do u do? Also, shot out to the members who helped me get here with resume help. You know who u are.
:wow:

Yes sir. I started the last week in October/first week of November. I initially got the job in August, but I had to wait due to my background check, the shooting (RIP) and government shut down.

I do moves, activations and changes; so things like printer installs, activating ports, deploying computers, etc. I'm in BLDG 196.

Fam my co-worker and I are going to bldg 196 to set up workstations pretty soon. NMCI? Small world i tell ya. I pretty much do the same thing you do. Once I finish taking this only class im gonna start studying for my server 2012 and get on as a SYSADMIN.

Last edited:
Fam my co-worker and I are going to bldg 196 to set up workstations pretty soon. NMCI? Small world i tell ya. I pretty much do the same thing you do. Once I finish taking this only class im gonna start studying for my server 2012 and get on as a SYSADMIN.
Yeah, NMCI.

You going to the fourth floor by any chance? **** is completely brand new and clean.

Yeah, NMCI.

You going to the fourth floor by any chance? **** is completely brand new and clean.

Nah we are going to the 2nd floor. How is NMCI? Im thinking about making a lateral move............
That's where I'm located. :nerd:

As far as NMCI, I can't complain (I'm a sub-contractor to HP). Actually with the new NGEN contract, things are changing but nothing has impacted me really.

That's where I'm located.
nerd.gif

As far as NMCI, I can't complain (I'm a sub-contractor to HP). Actually with the new NGEN contract, things are changing but nothing has impacted me really.

Oh ok i feel you. Bro im gonna hit you next time I about to come up there. We could chop it up even more.

How did you get into SQL developing and what is the typical day for you. Im pretty good with SQL and i really enjoy databases but I have no idea to transition into making it a job position.
I'm working at an IT healthcare company as I got this job right out of college. Me and about 50 others entered a consulting academy and after about 3 months of product training, I got split out into a Systems Integration division and got put into a data migration department. I then started working with SQL because that's what we use to migrate the data. A typical day for me consists of writing sql queries, stored procedures, working with SSIS, and doing different types of documentation. There are a lot of opportunities out there for SQL development.. if you know SQL, it wouldn't be hard to transition into a position for it. It really just entails what kind of work that the position you are applying for does. Hope that helps..
One thing about IT everyone will say they want to do it and about how much cheese you can make, but cats don't understand landing your first IT gig is like the hardest task in the world, once you are in the door though and get some years under your belt , sky is the limit.
I agree with this. I applied for countless positions while I was in college  and didn't receive any responses.. I then went to a job fair at school and gave out multiple resumes there. From there, I only got one callback and my first and only interview entailed researching a health related topic (that they provided) that I never heard of before and preparing a 10-15 min presentation along with the personality interview with 2 higher managers on a saturday lol. Now I'm doing SQL dev work and have applied for other internal positions to further my knowledge. Hopefully that goes through
Been doing IT for 6 years. Bored of the work. I deal with the systems and network infrastructure. I do it all from, setting up domains, firewalls, routing, purchasing, end user support, etc. I don't have any certs except a bachelors in Computer systems. Its a cool job. I have lots of downtime and can wear sneakers all day every day.

When I first started out, loved it but after getting deeper into it, I realized I don't think this is for me. Just really bored of the work. I'm in the mist of moving into a completely different field.
this seems like something I would be interested in. Why have you gotten bored of it? and what exactly is the title of this position?

@PMatic  & @Augbaby98   it is a small world....I work for the "other" agency that works with NMCI that used to be at the Navy Yard but just moved down to Quantico and made that their HQ 
laugh.gif

Just got promoted from Sys. Admin II to Sys. Admin III a couple weeks ago.
nthat.gif

I mainly do normal systems work..AD changes, WSUS, a ton of STIGs and SCAP/Retina mitigations, and I also manage our NetApp storage and CommVault backup environment as well.

Going to be building out some ESXi servers and P-to-V our environment slowly once we get past our accreditation.

B.S. IT:Web Dev from George Mason and certs are MCITP:SA, Sec+, ITIL v3, VCP, and Dell SAN Storage. I've had some other training but never took the tests. Probably look into NetApp or CommVault certifications eventually.

Sent from my desk with a black polo (untucked), Levi's 514s and Cements 3s on 
laugh.gif

I normally wear all black Nike Revis kicks during the week or some brown Docker's boat shoes. I tuck my shirt in Mon-Thurs though 
grin.gif

Last edited:
Awesome to see sneaker heads in the IT field. I usually get a stone face when telling others that I collect shoes as one of my hobbies. IT geeks and sneakerheads are a rare breed indeed. I have been in tech support for a small company for the past 5 years. Recently landed a new job at IBM . Very excited to start work and get in process of learning new skills. 8)

Last edited:
Wright One.............

You probably dont even remember i inboxed you in feb about moving to MD.... made the move. I appreciate your help. What would u recommend as a way to start sys admin stuff - certs? Degree/ A+ Security+ MCTS and closing in on 2 years of expereince. I'm taking my server 2012 soon...........

Last edited:
I am a systems engineer for a small company in the DC area. Been working in the field for almost 5 years and really like the work. Like most the environment is really laid back. We have developers that wear tees, shorts and flip flops daily. The only cert I have gotten so far is the A+ but looking to get more aggressive with them.

I am in the process of getting more familiar with Linux which can bring some big bucks if you can master it.

I am a systems engineer for a small company in the DC area. Been working in the field for almost 5 years and really like the work. Like most the environment is really laid back. We have developers that wear tees, shorts and flip flops daily. The only cert I have gotten so far is the A+ but looking to get more aggressive with them.

I am in the process of getting more familiar with Linux which can bring some big bucks if you can master it.

Ive heard the same thing about linux. Sometimes i feel like there is so much to learn....................

@Augbaby98  I didn't even catch the name was one of the guys that emailed me from the other thread about jobs open in the area, lol

Congrats and glad the move worked out for you. 

Sounds like you got the right plan together for moving into the server/systems arena. If you are going to stay DoD related then that Sec+ is almost a pre-requisite to getting a job. A lot of places either require it before start date or you have like 3-6 months to get it once you start. From there, the MS server certs would be a good thing to get and you can get them at your own pace. You can figure which certs will get you the next level MS cert.

I have the MCITP: SA (Server Admin)....so I had to get the MS Networking, Active Directory, Server Admin, and Win 7 certifications to be considered MCITP:SA. They also had one for 2 more certs (App Server & Enterprise Administration if I remember right) and you would be an MCITP:EA and then you would have the full MCITP suite of certs for systems. They also had it for Windows 7 MCITP, SQL, and SharePoint I believe. I haven't looked at how the cert layout has changed for Server 2012, but I think they went back to the MCSE title for the certs.

I was slipping fellas....the guy that I used to work with, who was the Sys III got walked off the contract, and the govt recommended that I get the position when I asked about it. I didn't even think to let you guys know that the Sys II position on my team that I moved from was open 
mean.gif
. I do believe they are looking for 1-2 SP devs though. The SQL guy is stuck doing the SP work and needs some help over there. Someone can give me a shout to find out more if you are an experienced SP dev. Ton of work and a good way to move to a gov't position eventually if you wanted to do that.  

Def try to learn some Linux/Unix if you can. I won't claim to be an expert at it, but I know enough to be dangerous and normally that is enough. Just don't let that command line intimidate you....some people get nervous and only want to deal with the GUI.

I used to have to build LAMP servers (Linux, Apache, MySQL & PHP) at previous job that got me most of it and I had a Linux class at GMU that helped as well with it. It is actually pretty nice to go command line some times. When someone who doesn't do IT sees you working on that command line and they give you the 
eek.gif
 face, haha

this seems like something I would be interested in. Why have you gotten bored of it? and what exactly is the title of this position?

Just not being challenged enough. This position can be categorized as Systems/Network administrator.

My advice is to get your foot in the door doing helpdesk/ jr sysadmin and work your way from there. Usually the System administrators will mentor you.

Last edited:
I am part of a small team that supports multiple sites globally for the government. I do network/system admin, installations and whatever else I can help out with. I really need to get my certs, but just have been putting them of/ havent been as disciplined in my studying as I should be 
mean.gif

Looking to start a master's program for cyber-security soon.

This is exactly what I've been doing as well. I'm surprised you're bored, I love my job. And being able to wear sneakers at work is also an awesome benefit
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom