Information Technology (IT)

It sucks because most jobs want you know to be fluent in JavaScript as well as the libraries. The syntax is "simple" enough but still kinda off. for() or if/elsif/else statements friggin suck but that's pretty much all you do in JavaScript
laugh.gif
I'm learning it so I can have the foundation down then I'm moving onto Python and C#. I need a C language under my belt and feel like C# is the easiest to learn
laugh.gif
Java is another beast for another day.
Java and C# are damn near the same thing lol.  If I were you, I'd learn Java first.  It will open you up to more possibilities, and once you have Java down learning C# will be a breeze.  Its all OOP so the coding style will carry right over.  Just the syntax will change a little.

And you guys can add me on that list of those who hate Javascript 
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
.   I've been trying to avoid it, but ill probably need it in my next career move.   Companies are starting to look for people who have JS as well as Java+frameworks now smh.

After 1 year in i've just recently landed my second opportunity at 58k (good for an Entry to Junior Dev for the cost of living/market in my area) starting in September.  Pretty excited
nthat.gif
.  Im looking to be in the 75k range by year 3-4.  My first gig was a consulting role, which I HATED.  You're just a number, and its like a sweatshop style environment.  They could care less about your growth and development.  I'm thankful for the foot in the door though.

Java and C# are damn near the same thing lol.  If I were you, I'd learn Java first.  It will open you up to more possibilities, and once you have Java down learning C# will be a breeze.  Its all OOP so the coding style will carry right over.  Just the syntax will change a little.

And you guys can add me on that list of those who hate Javascript >: >: >: .   I've been trying to avoid it, but ill probably need it in my next career move.   Companies are starting to look for people who have JS as well as Java+frameworks now smh.

After 1 year in i've just recently landed my second opportunity at 58k (good for an Entry to Junior Dev for the cost of living/market in my area) starting in September.  Pretty excited:nthat: .  Im looking to be in the 75k range by year 3-4.  My first gig was a consulting role, which I HATED.  You're just a number, and its like a sweatshop style environment.  They could care less about your growth and development.  I'm thankful for the foot in the door though.

Congrats breh. Aren't you in the A? :nerd:

And you guys can add me on that list of those who hate Javascript 
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
.   I've been trying to avoid it, but ill probably need it in my next career move.   Companies are starting to look for people who have JS as well as Java+frameworks now smh.

After 1 year in i've just recently landed my second opportunity at 58k (good for an Entry to Junior Dev for the cost of living/market in my area) starting in September.  Pretty excited:nthat: .  Im looking to be in the 75k range by year 3-4.  My first gig was a consulting role, which I HATED.  You're just a number, and its like a sweatshop style environment.  They could care less about your growth and development.  I'm thankful for the foot in the door though.
Congrats breh. Aren't you in the A?
nerd.gif
Thanks mane 
smokin.gif
.  And nah i'm in Charlotte.  The A is my next move tho for sure.  The market for IT professionals is wide open down there!  I'd be a fool not to take advantage

Thanks mane :smokin .  And nah i'm in Charlotte.  The A is my next move tho for sure.  The market for IT professionals is wide open down there!  I'd be a fool not to take advantage

Yup, once you get solid experience (5+ yrs) ATL is the place to be, I`m still early in my career but on my way to where I want to be, but IT world in general you are probably gonna struggle/grind hard your first 2-4 yrs and not make the crazy big bucks (unless you luck up).

Yup, once you get solid experience (5+ yrs) ATL is the place to be, I`m still early in my career but on my way to where I want to be, but IT world in general you are probably gonna struggle/grind hard your first 2-4 yrs and not make the crazy big bucks (unless you luck up).

Not true at all. The right moves will put you there early/straight out. Salaries are relative to location also.

I believe learning Java , C++ , and a scripting language will help out a lot of guys in here. Those will pretty much set up your foundation.

Not true at all. The right moves will put you there early/straight out. Salaries are relative to location also.

I believe learning Java , C++ , and a scripting language will help out a lot of guys in here. Those will pretty much set up your foundation.

Meh to even make a move you have to be in the right situation. IT isn't like business management or something where you can fluff your way into a high paying role. Only Right move starting out is usually some type of recent grad development program which EVERYONE is trying to get. senior IT Positions probably outnumber entry level roles 4 to 1 just do a quick search on any job site, and you are right salary is based on market, most of my homies went up north to get 60k starting salaries while in the south same job will offer junior roles 35-40k and in perspective 60k in DC is like 38-40k in ATL. It's not bad for a 21-22 yr old recent grad but it isn't the big money people tend to think everyone in IT makes. You gotta pay dues point blank unless your fam is the hiring manager for a gig or something lol.

IT jobs pay more in places people don't want to live. You have a lot of transplants in ATL which makes competition for the higher paying jobs tougher.

If you don't care where you live you can get premium pay. I care though.

I have my interview tomorrow at Deloitte. wish me luck fam.

I'm so bad at interviews though...

How did your interview go? I use to work for Deloitte for about six years.

I think you guys should look into Information Security (Cybersecurity). I've been in this field for three years now and I was able to obtain the CISSP and CISA certification. Pay is great and you move on up in your career. Every organization needs to protect their data, I mean just look at what happen to Ashley Madison.

IT jobs pay more in places people don't want to live. You have a lot of transplants in ATL which makes competition for the higher paying jobs tougher.

Very true, I'm blessed to have been able to get a role in the city I want to live in. The thing about major cities also is its literally thousands of people applying to one position so people hear how IT is booming in ATL And think they can move here with no job and just get work easy and end up getting a rude awakening. that said my advice to people is until you get 2-4 yrs experience try to land a gig at a smaller company, but just know they will more than likely low ball you, but once you get that experience you can make a lateral move to a better paying company or even a vertical move. Internships and development programs help a ton but from what I noticed in ATL at least you don't start seeing the BIG payday till you hit the 5-8 yr of experience mark.

How did your interview go? I use to work for Deloitte for about six years.

I think you guys should look into Information Security (Cybersecurity). I've been in this field for three years now and I was able to obtain the CISSP and CISA certification. Pay is great and you move on up in your career. Every organization needs to protect their data, I mean just look at what happen to Ashley Madison.

I'm in a class right now about Infrastructure defense very interesting stuff, and yea Security is a dope area, my company pays a lot for it too but those jobs are only at our HQ which is in a city I'd never live in.

I have a different perspective. Usually the places people don't want to live (Omaha) and the cost of living associated with that city is the reason why salaries are much lower than say jobs in Chicago or LA. Two of my friends are in Security and work as Ethical Hackers (they try to hack into their companies network to see where the vulnerabilities are) Both have 4 yrs of experience. But because one lives in Houston he's making almost 20k more than the other friend who lives in Little Rock. Your salary also depends on what industry you're in. For example, financial companies will always pay much more than say the education field (working for a university).

I have a different perspective. Usually the places people don't want to live (Omaha) and the cost of living associated with that city is the reason why salaries are much lower than say jobs in Chicago or LA. Two of my friends are in Security and work as Ethical Hackers (they try to hack into their companies network to see where the vulnerabilities are) Both have 4 yrs of experience. But because one lives in Houston he's making almost 20k more than the other friend who lives in Little Rock. Your salary also depends on what industry you're in. For example, financial companies will always pay much more than say the education field (working for a university).

What technical skills would you say would be ideal to focus on if I wanted to transition into Security? I'm currently a BA In the financial industry so I'm already hip to PCI compliance at the high level , this class I'm in has me working on penetration testing and stuff now ( school just started but still). Info security seems like something that I could flip into an entrepreneurial move down the line.

Very true, I'm blessed to have been able to get a role in the city I want to live in. The thing about major cities also is its literally thousands of people applying to one position so people hear how IT is booming in ATL And think they can move here with no job and just get work easy and end up getting a rude awakening. that said my advice to people is until you get 2-4 yrs experience try to land a gig at a smaller company, but just know they will more than likely low ball you, but once you get that experience you can make a lateral move to a better paying company or even a vertical move. Internships and development programs help a ton but from what I noticed in ATL at least you don't start seeing the BIG payday till you hit the 5-8 yr of experience mark.

Basically. Big pay is relative too. A lot of IT jobs pay trash and/or are contract positions. Contractors are here today gone tomorrow or sometimes furloughed.

I get solicitated for jobs all the time. I always chuckle when I hear the requirements and then hear the pay.

Developers make good money but they work way more than 40 hours a week.

Basically. Big pay is relative too. A lot of IT jobs pay trash and/or are contract positions. Contractors are here today gone tomorrow or sometimes furloughed.

I get solicitated for jobs all the time. I always chuckle when I hear the requirements and then hear the pay.

Developers make good money but they work way more than 40 hours a week.

Yea people talk about Silicon Valley companies like Apple and Google who pay recent grads 100-120k but in the valley that would be like 50-60k somewhere else (still not bad at all) BUT you are working 60-80hr weeks.

You have to factor in the housing/rent prices, commute, and taxes. NYC taxes will destroy your paycheck. 60k in Charlotte > 80k in NYC by a large margin.

University jobs are the chillest jobs. Yea you make less but the stress is like non-existent.

Last edited:
From what I've been encountering, there's really only two periods when it's easy to get a new job:
  • When you're applying in college/worked for under a year.
  • You've worked for more than 5.

All the job posts I see are for recent grads or Senior level positions requiring 4-7 years of experience. Chances are those working 2-3 haven't gained that much depth or breadth in technologies yet, but after working that long they'd like to be making 10k more than their current salary.

I came into my job as a recent grad and it was great pay ($60+). The issue I discovered here is that there's no room to explore other interests in your early career. I work on web service integration, but want to do full stack web development. No projects like that going on in my company and the current tools I use now aren't really transferable either (most built for the company). They try not to give raises either, just bonuses.

Looking for other options now which lead to my initial statement: I'm pass "recent grad" that a lot of entry level positions look for; the ones that don't still require 3-4 years experience with tech/languages I don't have. The ones I do see that could work require me to take a pay cut. Ain't nobody got time for that; I'm trying to buy a hose soon. That's why I'm doing FCC to build my portfolio and probably go back to school.

Last edited:
Meh to even make a move you have to be in the right situation. IT isn't like business management or something where you can fluff your way into a high paying role. Only Right move starting out is usually some type of recent grad development program which EVERYONE is trying to get. senior IT Positions probably outnumber entry level roles 4 to 1 just do a quick search on any job site, and you are right salary is based on market, most of my homies went up north to get 60k starting salaries while in the south same job will offer junior roles 35-40k and in perspective 60k in DC is like 38-40k in ATL. It's not bad for a 21-22 yr old recent grad but it isn't the big money people tend to think everyone in IT makes. You gotta pay dues point blank unless your fam is the hiring manager for a gig or something lol.

The right moves start before you even graduate, starts with internships .You are a step behind people that worked multiple internships at major companies you won't start out making big bucks, and will probably have a hard time getting into the recent grad development programs.

I started out with much more than 60K, and one of my closest friends started out with more than me. I also have friends here making 110K+ at the age of 26 only a few years into their career. It is very possible to come out making a higher salary without being lucky, grinding while in school will put you there .

I hate that salary conversion stuff lol. 60K is 60K if you are a recent grad with minimal bills and live within your means IMO. You jump out on your own then that's a different story :lol: .

Last edited:

And you guys can add me on that list of those who hate Javascript >: >: >: .   I've been trying to avoid it, but ill probably need it in my next career move.   Companies are starting to look for people who have JS as well as Java+frameworks now smh.

Congrats breh. Aren't you in the A? :nerd:

Thanks mane :smokin .  And nah i'm in Charlotte.  The A is my next move tho for sure.  The market for IT professionals is wide open down there!  I'd be a fool not to take advantage

Word congrats. My mans is a IT Security consultant down in ATL and he keeps telling me it's pure flourishment down there, but then I'm working w/ a lady who just moved from there who says it's not and it's over-saturated....But she moved to Pittsburgh so I don't know how good her word is :lol:

Charlotte and Atlanta are the hubs for IT in the south and great places for minorities to prosper. My wife is applying to PA schools in both cities so I'm tryna build my skills up now so I can be more marketable.

shimmyhendrix shimmyhendrix Maybe it was the time difference between looking at both but to me it felt like Java was more difficult. The syntax was kinda funky, but that was a year ago that I looked at it, will have to check it out again since I still have the learning material and found classes for free to learn.

Word congrats. My mans is a IT Security consultant down in ATL and he keeps telling me it's pure flourishment down there, but then I'm working w/ a lady who just moved from there who says it's not and it's over-saturated....But she moved to Pittsburgh so I don't know how good her word is :lol:

Charlotte and Atlanta are the hubs for IT in the south and great places for minorities to prosper. My wife is applying to PA schools in both cities so I'm tryna build my skills up now so I can be more marketable.

shimmyhendrix shimmyhendrix Maybe it was the time difference between looking at both but to me it felt like Java was more difficult. The syntax was kinda funky, but that was a year ago that I looked at it, will have to check it out again since I still have the learning material and found classes for free to learn.

ATL you will eat good if you have the skills, but hell even if you are in an Entry level role making 35-40k if you have minimal debt you can low key ball out lol. I`m talking decent Apartment and Leasing a Luxury whip.

ATL you will eat good if you have the skills, but hell even if you are in an Entry level role making 35-40k if you have minimal debt you can low key ball out lol. I`m talking decent Apartment and Leasing a Luxury whip.
laugh.gif
 This exactly why I always say live within your means leasing a luxury car wouldn't even cross my mind making 35-40K hell anything less than 80K foreal. I see why everyone says 60K in DC is 35K in ATL lol people trying to stunt straight out.

:lol:  This exactly why I always say live within your means leasing a luxury car wouldn't even cross my mind making 35-40K hell anything less than 80K foreal. I see why everyone says 60K in DC is 35K in ATL lol people trying to stunt straight out.

Lol I`m good on luxury rides in general, but I know dudes who worked as bankers and they dont make that much but were able to give off the perception they were making a ton more .

Main reason I love ATL though is I`m still super early in my career but was able to buy a home, car, and not feel stressed out financially because high cost of living. Cost of living is increasing in ATL but I already have a home to rest my head and God willing as long I keep hitting my career and personal goals as planned then I will still be eating good. I only have 3 yrs experience in the area I want to be, and when I finish I will be at 5 or 6 yrs experience plus a Masters (along with more technical skills), so I`m just trying to stay grounded and pay my dues, and the simple fact I work from home 3 days a week I`m not complaining at all.

Moving there I would need at least $60k which I know is a stretch. My wife would be in school and I'd be responsible for taking care of home in the mean time. I aint worried about a luxury whip, always felt that leasing a non-base model whip> leasing a luxury whip. Some of the spots I looked at years ago when I was trying to move down ATL was decent for the price $800 in Pittsburgh gets you an older apt or home w/ no amenities while ATL gets you a 2br/2ba apartment in a gated community walk-in closets, etc. :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom