Information Technology (IT)

Any halp fighting the BSA software alliance

Contact your company's attorney. If your company doesn't have one, now is the time to get one. The BSA sucks and will sue your company if you don't comply. The easiest way to get them off of your case is contact your company's attorney and have them assist in a voluntary audit. Its important that its attorney assisted because the BSA can (and prob will) reject an internal audit. With an attorney, the audit can be used in court if necessary (attorney-work and attorney-client privilege).

Don't bother purchasing the missing licenses or trying to cover your tracks. The BSA won't acknowledge licences purchased after the date of their letter, and you won't be able to cover your tracks.

Short of that, if you are a sysadmin who knowingly distributed pirated software in a corporate environment, you will lose your job and most likely be blacklisted by a number of reputable organizations.

I'd say sorry, but honestly, you should know better. If you were pressured to do it by your boss/supervisor, try to locate that correspondence if its in written form anywhere... Even a chat log. Its bad enough that you've received the letter...it will be horrible for you if they can prove that it was you, acting independently.

Assuming you perform an attorney assisted audit and they find deployments without a matching license, they will send your company a settlement request and its pretty straightforward from there.

Last edited:
Contact your company's attorney. If your company doesn't have one, now is the time to get one. The BSA sucks and will sue your company if you don't comply. The easiest way to get them off of your case is contact your company's attorney and have them assist in a voluntary audit. Its important that its attorney assisted because the BSA can (and prob will) reject an internal audit. With an attorney, the audit can be used in court if necessary (attorney-work and attorney-client privilege).

Don't bother purchasing the missing licenses or trying to cover your tracks. The BSA won't acknowledge licences purchased after the date of their letter, and you won't be able to cover your tracks.

Short of that, if you are a sysadmin who knowingly distributed pirated software in a corporate environment, you will lose your job and most likely be blacklisted by a number of reputable organizations.

I'd say sorry, but honestly, you should know better. If you were pressured to do it by your boss/supervisor, try to locate that correspondence if its in written form anywhere... Even a chat log. Its bad enough that you've received the letter...it will be horrible for you if they can prove that it was you, acting independently.

Assuming you perform an attorney assisted audit and they find deployments without a matching license, they will send your company a settlement request and its pretty straightforward from there.

The blame deflection won't go to me it will end up going to the person above me. At this point I need a situation to minimize the costs and I am unsure the scope of the investigation. They really didnt provide us with much information because we have different versions of office running in the office and I believe our 07 version was the enterprise license which doesn't require any key for installs and we should be covered for that and if we are not i did not configure those computers. They want us to do an internal audit but I will relay the message to my superiors about it being lawyer assisted

And the letter was not written to me but to our CEO he just shared it with me since it's my department

Last edited:
Chain of command. :pimp:

They purposefully don't provide a lot of info because they aren't sure of all the software on your network and it would be to their benefit to find other infringements. If they request an internal audit, be sure to provide ALL the information in the exact format agreed upon, otherwise they will reject it. And please, for the love of god, convince your people that spending the extra cash on an attorney is worth it. It could be the difference between a $50,000 settlement and a $150,000 settlement.

Other than that, just kick your feet up and wait for that promotion... I have a feeling that there will be an opening soon. :lol:

Anywhere online that would help with subnetting (I already have CBT Nuggets)?
Google has some great resources. Most of the books that cover CCNA and CCENT exam material cover subnetting extensively. There are many tricks and ways to go about calculating subnets.

What remote management software do most of you guys use?

I've been running a program I built in C+ that sends diagnostics to my server to manage my client's networks, but Im having less and less time/motivation to troubleshoot my own code when things go wrong.

GFI max looks decent, but I heard it has delays when pushing certain commands

We use KACE. It works well for the most part.

Dope that you built your own management system... But why C+? Java >

Last edited:
We use KACE. It works well for the most part.

Dope that you built your own management system... But why C+? Java >

started off the project in C++ thinking it would be more stable and have a lower cpu/memory footprint than would a java equivalent...

also thought I wanted to go the programming route with my business so I wanted to start with a native app to build on and add features as time went on...

KACE 1000 + Bomgar remote support integration

remote viewing support for clients' mobile devices :wow:

you just made me money

Gonna be a massive teamviewer exodus this weekend

Last edited:
started off the project in C++ thinking it would be more stable and have a lower cpu/memory footprint than would a java equivalent...

also thought I wanted to go the programming route with my business so I wanted to start with a native app to build on and add features as time went on...

Ahh, fair enough. Java does have quite a bit of overhead, but I prefer it just because I'm biased towards OO (elegant code >>>>) :pimp: for you though. I thought you were just a dude who went around rustling jimmies. New found respect, even if you do code in C++ (jk :lol: )

And if I made you money, holla at me... We can make more.

Last edited:
so i was looking at what my local community college has to offer in computer science classes. not sure how i should approach this new venture. just start with the intro class and work my way through? also not sure what area of the computer field to key in on. im sure its good to know as much as possible but what are the definites i need to take to get my foot in the door for entry level IT jobs. thanks in advance....sorry for the long PDF. 

Last edited:
We use KACE and Bomgar. Kace inventory system sucks. It adds the same system more than once most of the time and Bomgar is slow as heck. I prefer Dameware.

Any interested, they have a few positions open at my current job.

*(Indicates the clearance level they are asking for)

Helpdesk Technician - Traditional tier 1 helpdesk job. (TS)

Technical Support Technician 2 - More basic networking than anything. Running fiber and cat5 patch cables in network closets and datacenters. Performing adds, moves, and changes on the Cisco Call managers for other users. (S)

Exchange Systems Administrator - Title says it all. You would be the Exchange Admin for our group. (TS)

Any interested, they have a few positions open at my current job.

*(Indicates the clearance level they are asking for)

Helpdesk Technician - Traditional tier 1 helpdesk job. (TS)

Technical Support Technician 2 - More basic networking than anything. Running fiber and cat5 patch cables in network closets and datacenters. Performing adds, moves, and changes on the Cisco Call managers for other users. (S)

Exchange Systems Administrator - Title says it all. You would be the Exchange Admin for our group. (TS)

I need to get a clearance. :smh:

I need to get a clearance. :smh:

I need that TS/SCI w/ polygraph . A secret is cool and all , but that TS opens so many doors. Hopefully I will land a job that requires it when I graduate.

Last edited:
Senior System Analyst/Engineer for the Atlanta transit authority. You guys are right about people in IT and sneakers. However. I was able to get a couple of my comrades into the sneaker culture. Now they're more into it than I am lol.

Gettin into the IT field, is it best just to know as much as possible and get certified in multiple things? Or Is there one or 2 particular areas to really focus on??

I'm in the same boat was grinding css and HTML just learning past materials but ran into this thread I like the IT field. I have a Environmental health degree and I'm looking to get into a field with more freedom.

Something portable, and more vacation time honestly. I work for a union currently and the rules and regulations are pathetic.

I initially looked into CCNA and was completely confused. It seemed like a crazy first step into the field. I'm not really a noob either I've build plenty of computers and know a lot about hardware/software.

Should I be looking to CCENT first for the entry level cert? I'm currently using codeademy just messing with code but would really like to focus on some certifications.

Senior System Analyst/Engineer for the Atlanta transit authority. You guys are right about people in IT and sneakers. However. I was able to get a couple of my comrades into the sneaker culture. Now they're more into it than I am lol.
Spread the sneaker love
nthat.gif

Gettin into the IT field, is it best just to know as much as possible and get certified in multiple things? Or Is there one or 2 particular areas to really focus on??
Show a passion for IT and the will to learn. Certifications are also very helpful when trying to find work. The more skillsets you have, the more jobs you become eligible for. Learn as much as possible, sponge EVERYTHING
I'm in the same boat was grinding css and HTML just learning past materials but ran into this thread I like the IT field. I have a Environmental health degree and I'm looking to get into a field with more freedom.

Something portable, and more vacation time honestly. I work for a union currently and the rules and regulations are pathetic.

I initially looked into CCNA and was completely confused. It seemed like a crazy first step into the field. I'm not really a noob either I've build plenty of computers and know a lot about hardware/software.

Should I be looking to CCENT first for the entry level cert? I'm currently using codeademy just messing with code but would really like to focus on some certifications.
Depending on your company, IT may not be the best career field for vacation. There's no way in hell I could go out of town for a week with the clients my company is currently contracted to.

Find something IT related you enjoy, and master that. If networking isn't your strong suite, look at system administration and help desk positions/certs.

Ordered my Wendell Odom ICND1 book awhile ago, will be in Tuesday

I've got to do this if I have any chance of keeping up with the degree-carrying in HR missus whose currently in the suburbs of Seattle and texting me about how much she loves everything about it

Last edited:
Anyone in IT ever think about transitioning to the business side doing like a market intelligence or market research role?

Back
Top Bottom