Information Technology (IT)

All these things are dumb to me. I just see it as a push to try to bring some IT jobs back onshore so they can pay people less and use it as the guise as job creation but instead of fullstack web devs making 60-70k now they making 15 bucks an hour lol.

All these code camps imo.
Hmmm, whats the average salary of people from coding camps? You might be on to something lol.

@Sneaky thanks. The test is pretty straight forward. I would just recommend using the Get Certified Get Ahead Ebook $10 to learn the information then buy his practice exams 400+ questions and 10 simulation questions for $40 . Once you consistently score 90% above on the readiness exam your ready for the test .

Hmmm, whats the average salary of people from coding camps? You might be on to something lol.

@Sneaky
thanks. The test is pretty straight forward. I would just recommend using the Get Certified Get Ahead Ebook $10 to learn the information then buy his practice exams 400+ questions and 10 simulation questions for $40 . Once you consistently score 90% above on the readiness exam your ready for the test .

The ones in the bay area say you can make up to 120k but most i see marker 60-75k. All of these are always for "fullstack web developers". And with how they are trying to push this coding stuff in general and always market it to people who had random degrees Im telling you just watch.

The issue at hand is learning syntax doesnt make you a good developer, but like I said I see them using this to lower the cost of entry level pay who tend to work on BS projects that is normally outsourced to Asia.

I've recently decided to try and jump into the IT world. I work in an auto shop right now and have no idea where to even start. Do most of the people working in these fields have degrees, certifications or both? I looked up some certifications like CompTIA A+, network support, network technician and programming, would those be a good place to start? Thanks in advance. 

I've recently decided to try and jump into the IT world. I work in an auto shop right now and have no idea where to even start. Do most of the people working in these fields have degrees, certifications or both? I looked up some certifications like CompTIA A+, network support, network technician and programming, would those be a good place to start? Thanks in advance. 
Those CompTIA courses are great starting points, but I did Security+ rather than Programming.

Did all three courses in a "boot camp" style with no previous IT experience

Those CompTIA courses are great starting points, but I did Security+ rather than Programming.

I would be the same as you no prior experience. Did you feel like it was too much to take in?

Last edited:
Yeah my homie told me that was a good starting point (compTIA) and where he got started. He was in one of those free community college programs which I just missed the deadline to apply for smh. Now im looking to do it on my own. I looked up some stuff on a local colleges website but its no help. I'll have to meet with an advisor. I'm gonna try that CompTIA thing for sure though

Originally Posted by Raider5  

I would be the same as you no prior experience. Did you feel like it was too much to take in?
A+ was real easy. Network I would call intermediate for a newbie like you (or me at the time). Security was the most difficult, but I don't know if I would say it was the actual curriculum or if it was because it was too much to take in at the time given it was the third course in about 8 days.

Regardless, it did help me land a job almost immediately. But don't expect an $80k job right away because of these certs, you'll still have to work and gain experience and you can move up quickly depending on where you go.

Edit: The best is when you do get a job or are getting interviews, to see if any of these potential jobs will help you go to more training classes/certifications and are willing to pay for you. Then you add more value/wealth to yourself that way + experience. Totally huge win for you.

Last edited:
Wish I would have stayed at UMUC for my Masters instead of Hopkins lol . Only 6 classes at UMUC I'd be going into my 5th class by now. Might give it a shot in 2018 will have to see how 2017 goes.

I should have gotten my CCENT in high school when I was in the Cisco Networking Academy along with my CompTIA A+ certification :smh: I'm kicking myself now because now I'm looking into getting into it again. Networking is cool, computers are a breeze for me, but I see one of the dudes in my car club who's an infrastructure manager and he's making bank (homie has a 2016 GTR). I need to get in touch with my high school teacher and see what's his advice in getting my CCENT and then working towards my CCNA.

Wish I would have stayed at UMUC for my Masters instead of Hopkins lol . Only 6 classes at UMUC I'd be going into my 5th class by now. Might give it a shot in 2018 will have to see how 2017 goes.

University of Maryland University College? For what cyber security? That Hopkins tuition must be insane. My work
would pay for both places 100% but I'm not sold on anything at UMUC especially the classes in cyber.

University of Maryland University College? For what cyber security? That Hopkins tuition must be insane. My work
would pay for both places 100% but I'm not sold on anything at UMUC especially the classes in cyber.
Man Hopkins is $3900 per class, prices raising by the hundreds every year. Its a 10 course program, so total cost is close to 45K (with tuition increases) not worth it IMO. Especially since my company does not pay up front they reimburse after the class is over.

I'm not taking out loans and its just too much to put up for classes. 2 classes is almost $8000 I aint got it bruh
laugh.gif

These cost are pretty much similar to all programs in the area UMD, Hopkins, GTown, GMU, GWU 40K-55K.

There are VPs and CEOs with MS degrees from UMUC. UMUCs degree is about 26K total and only 6 classes .

Their degree has merit in the DMV area it definitely isn't looked at as a downfall. At this point I just want to check Masters off of my list and get it on my resume to get a nice pay increase.

There was a recruiter on Linkedin that was offering me 150K for a level 3 Software Eng. position with 2 years of experience and a Masters.

I'm currently a SE 1 lol so the MS counts for a good amount of experience.

I really don't care where it comes from at this point lol I just need to get it.

Last edited:

Man Hopkins is $3900 per class, prices raising by the hundreds every year. Its a 10 course program, so total cost is close to 45K (with tuition increases) not worth it IMO. Especially since my company does not pay up front they reimburse after the class is over.
I'm not taking out loans and its just too much to put up for classes. 2 classes is almost $8000 I aint got it bruh :lol:
These cost are pretty much similar to all programs in the area UMD, Hopkins, GTown, GMU, GWU 40K-55K.

There are VPs and CEOs with MS degrees from UMUC. UMUCs degree is about 26K total and only 6 classes .
Their degree has merit in the DMV area it definitely isn't looked at as a downfall. At this point I just want to check Masters off of my list and get it on my resume to get a nice pay increase.

There was a recruiter on Linkedin that was offering me 150K for a level 3 Software Eng. position with 2 years of experience and a Masters.
I'm currently a SE 1 lol so the MS counts for a good amount of experience.

I really don't care where it comes from at this point lol I just need to get it.

Gotta go for it then bruh. Best bet to find somewhere where u don't have to take the GRE in order to get in too :lol: Thing is a waste of time and money.

Gotta go for it then bruh. Best bet to find somewhere where u don't have to take the GRE in order to get in too
laugh.gif
Thing is a waste of time and money.
Everybody gets accepted into UMUC lol . I'm also already enrolled and 2 classes completed at Hopkins will not be finishing there though

unless my company will up my tuition money to 15K per year and pay up front.

Gotta go for it then bruh. Best bet to find somewhere where u don't have to take the GRE in order to get in too :lol: Thing is a waste of time and money.

Everybody gets accepted into UMUC lol . I'm also already enrolled and 2 classes completed at Hopkins will not be finishing there though
unless my company will up my tuition money to 15K per year and pay up front.

:lol: I feel u, that's the only reason I enrolled at Point Park for my MBA, no GMAT, $23k total for the program w/ my 20% employer discount. Didn't wanna take on the extra debt but can pay that off in a year IF I get a better paying gig after it's all said and done. Cats here want Masters, they see MBA, CS, or the likes and start peppering their angus

I should have gotten my CCENT in high school when I was in the Cisco Networking Academy along with my CompTIA A+ certification :smh: I'm kicking myself now because now I'm looking into getting into it again. Networking is cool, computers are a breeze for me, but I see one of the dudes in my car club who's an infrastructure manager and he's making bank (homie has a 2016 GTR). I need to get in touch with my high school teacher and see what's his advice in getting my CCENT and then working towards my CCNA.

Study for CCENT then CCNA and take the CCNA. It's rare you find someone requesting CCENT these days. CCNA is the bare minimum now it seems. Try to find Packet Tracer, a solid simulator for good networking practice.

Study for CCENT then CCNA and take the CCNA. It's rare you find someone requesting CCENT these days. CCNA is the bare minimum now it seems. Try to find Packet Tracer, a solid simulator for good networking practice.
That's exactly what we used in class, it's how we would do all of simulation modules. It wasn't difficult at all following the step by step instructions but from what I read you're right, CCNA looks to be the bare minimum.

That's exactly what we used in class, it's how we would do all of simulation modules. It wasn't difficult at all following the step by step instructions but from what I read you're right, CCNA looks to be the bare minimum.

Packet Tracer is as dope as it comes and is an incredible simulator. I have it on my machine at home. I need to install it on my laptop as well and work more with it. Alot of places want experience over certs, but if you can get your CCNA they could be your ticket to getting in the door.

Back
Top Bottom