Information Technology (IT)

Any NTers working for EMC?

nerd.gif
You specific to EMC or anywhere storage related? I ask because one of my friends works for NetApp.

You specific to EMC or anywhere storage related? I ask because one of my friends works for NetApp.

I may or may not have been offered a position as a service engineer at a certain company. :nerd:

Interested in seeing how others like it.

I may or may not have been offered a position as a service engineer at a certain company.
nerd.gif

Interested in seeing how others like it.
Ahhh good stuff man
nthat.gif

I don't know anyone specifically there, but I can ask that one friend and the other I have at Cisco if you at least would want to hear how it is to work for a vendor as opposed to a company that just buys and uses their product.

Ahhh good stuff man :nthat:

I don't know anyone specifically there, but I can ask that one friend and the other I have at Cisco if you at least would want to hear how it is to work for a vendor as opposed to a company that just buys and uses their product.

that would be grand. if you'd rather not post their response here, just let me know.

Focusing more on the HTML5+CSS3 kick w/ JS. Hopefully I can build a solid foundation to do some projects for exp that will get me a foot in the door.

Also, anybody hear about the online MS in Computer Science offered by Georgia Tech, Udacity, and AT&T? Program costs around $7,000 w/ no GRE required.

Hey guys quick question, I'm having trouble with my wifi connection I believe. I'm not sure what's going on but I have trouble seeing gifs or images sometimes on NT when on wifi. Also when I visit my school portal it will say after I sign in "Safari cannot connect to server" or " Safari cannot connect to the Internet) and when it does connect sometimes it shows the page as it was in design view and hyperlinks are on the webpage instead of banners with the regular format of the page. This happens frequently but not all the time. It also happened to my Facebook too where I would see a white page instead of the blue background and just hyperlinks.. Idk what to do.

Get an Android device . But seriously, this thread is mostly dedicated to IT as it pertains to job opportunities, career advancement, etc. Not general IT help. You should contact your school's IT help desk if you're having problems with their website. Nevertheless, this may help:

That site hasn't been optimized for mobile devices and that fact along with intermittent connection issues with your wireless router is why its appearing like that. Restart your modem & router (BOTH,) and if the problem continues contact your school's IT department. They can be of more help than we can.

Last edited:
I've already tried restarting modem and router. This is my home Network and it happens not only on the schools web page. Thanks anyways.

Anybody no anything about using SQL to extract and transfer data?

I have used SQL before but I'm not sure how difficult it would be to use to it extract data. For a potential job I would have to write my own SQL scripts to extract data with.

Last edited:
Anybody no anything about using SQL to extract and transfer data?

I have used SQL before but I'm not sure how difficult it would be to use to it extract data. For a potential job I would have to write my own SQL scripts to extract data with.

How do you want to contain the extracted data? SQL file? CSV? If you use a front end manager like PHPmyAdmin you have plenty of options but you can do it with a SQL query. Depends on the database specifically.

For mysql the command is this

mysqldump -u [username] -p [database_name] > [dumpfilename.sql]

for workbench:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/workbench/en/wb-admin-export-import.html

How do you want to contain the extracted data? SQL file? CSV? If you use a front end manager like PHPmyAdmin you have plenty of options but you can do it with a SQL query. Depends on the database specifically.

For mysql the command is this

mysqldump -u [username] -p [database_name] > [dumpfilename.sql]

for workbench:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/workbench/en/wb-admin-export-import.html

The Recruiter wasn't to specific in that. I knew enough to tell her to gather a bit more information and contact me back. When I gather more information I'll send you a DM.

Are any of the processes you talked about super complicated? I familiar with SQL but only using pre-written scripts. When it comes to writing my own no exp at all..

The Recruiter wasn't to specific in that. I knew enough to tell her to gather a bit more information and contact me back. When I gather more information I'll send you a DM.

Are any of the processes you talked about super complicated? I familiar with SQL but only using pre-written scripts. When it comes to writing my own no exp at all..

No nothing is super complicated with SQL it reads similar to how you would talk about data. It depends on what DBMS they are using. For SQL Server for example:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms140052.aspx

Each platform is different but some do have GUI options available so you wont necessarily have to create a query.

Yes Java is in big demand if we are talking about big languages. Many business rely on java because of how it can run on any platform. If you truly want to specialize look into web development with things like angularjs or nodejs which are based off of javascript. Peep this blog posting http://tutorialzine.com/2014/12/the-languages-and-frameworks-that-you-should-learn-in-2015/

I`m a Business Analyst so i`m not looking to get too deep, just not trying to be rusty on actual programming, and I`m probably going to teach myself Objective C after I finish Java to play with some App Dev.

Also I need to brush up on SQL, haven't touched it since College, you know if they have any Mac Tutorials?

I`m a Business Analyst so i`m not looking to get too deep, just not trying to be rusty on actual programming, and I`m probably going to teach myself Objective C after I finish Java to play with some App Dev.

Also I need to brush up on SQL, haven't touched it since College, you know if they have any Mac Tutorials?

There are plenty of resrouces online. If you want to brush up with SQL i would recommend trying to come up with a database project and learn sql with php all in one since you know sql already. Run a LAMP stack from bitnami as a virtual machine and just program away. If you want to get in to iOS develpoment it might be worth it to just toss the 100 (i think) and get a developer account. You get xCode and developer resources.

To me all languages are pretty similar its all concepts.

My personal opinion is that web development is going to be in more demand that anything just because of the nature of the the industry. Its hard to argue against web applications since there are no resources required from the business consumer.

For websites for tutorials I know http://www.codecademy.com/ is pretty good. Interactive and stuff kind of turns it into playing a game like keyboarding class.

I've been looking for a job for about the past 2 months without much luck the past two months. Mostly help desk and information security. Anyone want to look at my resume and give me some tips on how to improve it?

Back
Top Bottom