Interview etiquette help my fellow NT brothas and sistas

Long story short, i got an interview with St Jude Medical as a chemist
Im really happy and nervous because my current employer has cut my hours 60%. and ill need this job badly to transition.

in the interview packet, i got 4 people i have to interview with. anything i should look out for? i am really nervous. Of course this isnt my first interviewexperience, but i feel gut wrenched each and every time.

Aside from dressing business formal, what else should I consider before going in? anyone with tips would help.

I thank NT from the bottom of my heart.

jaechiney

First of all, congratulations on getting an interview with St. Jude. They are a fantastic facility.

As for your interviews, don't be afraid to tell your accomplishments. Don't OVER-do it, but if there are some things you've done that will showthem why you are 'exceptional' don't be afraid to include those details.

If they say, "What's your biggest flaw" b.s. that answer with the best of them. EX: My biggest flaw is the fact that I notice my imperfectionsmore than most and I try to use the minor mistakes in my daily life to better myself and succeed in my endeavors.

Or something like that lol

congrats and good luck fam.
pimp.gif

You have to get that 'personal grooming' on lock down. Shave, or make sure your beard is looking sharp. Hair should be neat etc. Just look good, andsmile, hold eye contact but not for too long that it gets creepy
laugh.gif

Be confident in your answers, and if they quiz you on anything if you know the answer don't hesitate to answer the question. Just find a medium where youcome across as smart but not as one of those smart people that HAVE to answer every question.

Good luck dude!

Better to over dress than under dress, don't wear a tux but dress nicely. Don't dress like a goon or in some bape-like tie or crazy colors. I like tostick to navy or black suits, white or light blue shirt, navy or red color ties.

Firm hand shake is very important. Just treat it like a conversation, its awkward for both parties. They really have no idea who you are and you most likelydon't know much about them. So be honest and tell them the skills and things you can do to bring value to their company.

I always like to do a little bit of research on the company. At the end or middle of the interview, they are most likely going to ask you if you have anyquestions for them. This is a great time to show them that you did a bit of research and that you care.

Get some good rest and be confident.

Be sure you know ahead of time what type of interviews you are getting.

Behavioral, Technical, or Brain-teaser.

Don't get blind sided by the technical interview that you did not study for.

if there are gonna be 4 people interviewing you at one time make sure to look everyone in the eyes as you answer their questions...don't just focus on theone that asked but you might want to give them a lil extra attention...maybe...

Originally Posted by DanzInRealLife

You have to get that 'personal grooming' on lock down. Shave, or make sure your beard is looking sharp. Hair should be neat etc. Just look good, and smile, hold eye contact but not for too long that it gets creepy
laugh.gif

Be confident in your answers, and if they quiz you on anything if you know the answer don't hesitate to answer the question. Just find a medium where you come across as smart but not as one of those smart people that HAVE to answer every question.

Good luck dude!
Listen to this^^ It worked well for her!
laugh.gif

Thanks guys,

Attire - dark navy pinstripe shirt by express, matching slacks, black tie, black belt.

Mentally, im prepared, ive worked in a laboratory environment for this past year right after ive graduated, so I think the advantage that I have is that i havebeen continuously working toward a better goal.

even though i have not had professional experience working with pacemakers and icd's, i think my willing to learn attitude will help me land a spot.

I got the call from the guy I will be spending the most time with at the interview on tuesday, and after a brief convo he said i will get a call in the nextfew days, and HR called first thing in the morning on wednsday wanting to set up an interview by friday 1PM.

Im hoping that its a good sign that they like me. wish me luck tomorrow NT, but if anyone has any stories or experiences they'd like to share, ill makesure to read it before i take off. thanks a million guys.

Some basics...From my training at CAE for internships

At an Interview you want to present yourself as someone who would fit into the organization and be pleasant to work with.

Here's how to do it.
1. Visit your company's website. Find out everything you can about the history, size, and mission.
2. Anticipate questions you may be asked and rehearse your answers.
3. Come prepared with a few thoughtful questions ask the interviewer. (Because they always ask if YOU have any questions)
4. Plan your travel route in advance, and allow enough time to get there promptly. Best time to get there is 10-15 minutes before assigned time. Don'tarrive to early, but never be late.
5. Bring five fresh copies of your resume.

Appearance is key.
1. Get a good night sleep.
2. Eat a healthy breakfast or lunch that includes protein.
3. Plan what to wear ahead of time.
4. Have your outfit freshly laundered and ironed.
5. Be well groomed.
6. Avoid large jewelry and heavy cologne or perfume.
7. Remember to smile.

Use your people skills.
1. Be friendly and polite.
2. Try to relax!
3. Smile and make eye contact.
4. Introduce yourself and shake hands.
5. be aware of your posture and body language.
6. Listen to each question and answer it clearly and directly.
7. Don't ramble or interrupt.
8. Ask atleast one question.
9. Close with a friendly handshake.
10. thank the interviewer for his or her time.

The follow up letter.
Saying thanks.
Always follow up with a short letter to thank the person who interviewed you. do this immediately after the interview. A good follow up letter reminds theinterviewer how interested you are in the position. It also reinforces the impression that you are organized, courteous and articulate.
Type your thank you letter in business letter format, and write it neatly by hand on a simple card or piece of stationary.

If you want an idea of what a follow up letter should look like... Let me know and ill post it.

Alright,

so i went in yesterday, I met with 4 people total

1. HR /30 min/ intro and quick tour
2. manager / 60 min/ pretty good and in-depth convo, ill be working under him if hired, all young guys at this dept, even got into a quick convo about modernwarfare 2 and me playing starcraft (it being a classic)
3. engineer / 30 min/ got most of the important things down/ ran out of time
4. director(2 and 3 reports to him)/ 30 min/ gave me a detailed tour again, i managed to ask thoughtful questions during every step of the tour

no offer was immediately made since i guess they have a few candidates to interview still, however, the director asked how soon i can start (I said if needed,immediately), and acted confident that they'd have no problem paying me better than my current wage.
i was suppose to get out at 3:30 but got out at 3:45, left pretty confident. Wrote a follow up letter and all too.

anything i can expect from this point on? the HR initially told me to expect a response by wed, but the director kinda emphesized they will call me VERY soon.ugh im pulling my hair out almost at this point lol.

^ congrats man. sounds like it all went very smoothly. at this point you really should wait until wed like the HR said, in case you don't hear till then,and if you still dont heart just send a follow up email/call.

omg i swear my head is going to explode from the anxiety awaiting the outcome.

my goal is to prolly call on Thursday. i swear, this can definitely be categorized as a form of torture.

Originally Posted by jaechiney

omg i swear my head is going to explode from the anxiety awaiting the outcome.

my goal is to prolly call on Thursday. i swear, this can definitely be categorized as a form of torture.

Good luck man. I interviewed last week for a position and got a call back for a second interview with the CEO today. 4 hours til my interview and I'mnervous as hell.

Originally Posted by Whateversclever

The follow up letter.
Saying thanks.
Always follow up with a short letter to thank the person who interviewed you. do this immediately after the interview. A good follow up letter reminds the interviewer how interested you are in the position. It also reinforces the impression that you are organized, courteous and articulate.
Type your thank you letter in business letter format, and write it neatly by hand on a simple card or piece of stationary.

If you want an idea of what a follow up letter should look like... Let me know and ill post it.

post one up, I want to have an idea for myself as well

Thank you letter after the interview is HUGE. Kind of helps you stand out a little bit and keep yourself fresh in their mind

Okay not tryna thread jack, but I have an interview question that kind of relates to this.

Am I supposed to send a follow up letter even if it's for a little PT cashier job or something like that?

Back
Top Bottom