Investing/Stocks 101

Originally Posted by 13saldana13

in a couple years, once i get my money right again i'm going to be investing in green technology. it's the future, oil will run out.

Not while you're alive it won't

Originally Posted by 13saldana13

in a couple years, once i get my money right again i'm going to be investing in green technology. it's the future, oil will run out.

Not while you're alive it won't

read the wall street journal for at least three months before you do anything. learn about whats happening in the world economy before throwing away your money

read the wall street journal for at least three months before you do anything. learn about whats happening in the world economy before throwing away your money

Barrons is another excellent newspaper to read but I think you might need to get a subscription for that. Not sure if they sell it in stores.

Barrons is another excellent newspaper to read but I think you might need to get a subscription for that. Not sure if they sell it in stores.

theneatestlittleguideto.jpg

intelligentinvestor.jpg

20090707oneil800n.jpg
(ignore the "infomercially" parts about the IBD)

The first book is a nice introduction, written for basically anyone. The Intelligent Investor is a little outdated, but it's a good read; the third book by William O'Neil talks about a completely different style of trading compared to the second book (value vs growth investing). These books really are an introduction to the world of trading; you can read and play all the simulator games you want, but nothing compares to actually investing in the market. I remember I shorted MOBI when it was around 22, got out around 20 (it had a huge rally, but then bad articles started popping up; some investment firm basically destroyed it in an article); it dropped to 10 dollars with a few weeks. I was so 
mad.gif
 that I got out early, but you live and you learn. 

Just don't start trading until you are absolutely confident. There are no guarantees you'll make money. None whatsoever. Keep your emotions out of your trading. I also recommend "Market Wizards" by Jack Schwager; some of the stories are
eek.gif
, and all of the info in this book is absolutely top notch.

I made about 2k in the Feb-April(with a 2k investment); I learned soooo much from this period. Nothing gets your heart racing more than when you are in a trade. I literally felt sick when I saw the value of my stock go down. I made some pretty stupid mistakes, but I did pretty well for a newbie.

It really is one of the most nerve-racking things you can do (investing), especially if what you're investing is a significant portion of your net worth (I'm a college student, so 2k was a huge amount of money. I did a combo of momentum trading and growth investing. Had about a 60% ROI flipping SSN in Feb and around 10% getting in on HS before a nice little spike. I still remember these trades like they were yesterday 
roll.gif

The rest of the 2k I made trading penny stocks, but it wasn't your average run of the mill website advertised *##%%@+$. Look up Tim Sykes and ReaperTrades (don't buy whatever they're peddling; you can learn a lot about what works w/ pennies and what doesn't just by looking at their posts. This really has nothing to do w/ actual investing, and I'd skip over it, but I learned a lot about the lingo and how to handle yourself by risking some money on these kinds of trades. I don't recommend it though, as the methodology is extremely shaky (and it's in a sort of legal grey area).

At minimum, the lowest amount you should start investing is $2000 (or enough to open a margin acct w/ your broker), so you don't get stuck w/ trading on a cash account ("free-riding" violations; if you make a trade (buy, then sell) on a cash account, you have to wait 3 business days for it to clear before you can make another trade). I didn't know about this when I first started trading, and it had me 
mad.gif
. You'll still be subject to the Pattern day trading rule (which never ceased to annoy the daylights out of me).

I've heard good things about thinkorswim, but I never used them. I used Speedtrader, b/c of their 2k margin minimum, but their commission rate is pretty high. If fast trades are your top priority, then Speedtrader is the way to go. I used Zecco and Scottrade as well, but I don't recommend them. Trades were slow, and the only redeeming quality about Scottrade is that you probably have one close to your home.

I got out in the end of April so I could focus more on school (taking summer classes now, I really need to catch up w/ the rest of the comp sci curricula), but the market is slowly calling me back 
smile.gif

theneatestlittleguideto.jpg

intelligentinvestor.jpg

20090707oneil800n.jpg
(ignore the "infomercially" parts about the IBD)

The first book is a nice introduction, written for basically anyone. The Intelligent Investor is a little outdated, but it's a good read; the third book by William O'Neil talks about a completely different style of trading compared to the second book (value vs growth investing). These books really are an introduction to the world of trading; you can read and play all the simulator games you want, but nothing compares to actually investing in the market. I remember I shorted MOBI when it was around 22, got out around 20 (it had a huge rally, but then bad articles started popping up; some investment firm basically destroyed it in an article); it dropped to 10 dollars with a few weeks. I was so 
mad.gif
 that I got out early, but you live and you learn. 

Just don't start trading until you are absolutely confident. There are no guarantees you'll make money. None whatsoever. Keep your emotions out of your trading. I also recommend "Market Wizards" by Jack Schwager; some of the stories are
eek.gif
, and all of the info in this book is absolutely top notch.

I made about 2k in the Feb-April(with a 2k investment); I learned soooo much from this period. Nothing gets your heart racing more than when you are in a trade. I literally felt sick when I saw the value of my stock go down. I made some pretty stupid mistakes, but I did pretty well for a newbie.

It really is one of the most nerve-racking things you can do (investing), especially if what you're investing is a significant portion of your net worth (I'm a college student, so 2k was a huge amount of money. I did a combo of momentum trading and growth investing. Had about a 60% ROI flipping SSN in Feb and around 10% getting in on HS before a nice little spike. I still remember these trades like they were yesterday 
roll.gif

The rest of the 2k I made trading penny stocks, but it wasn't your average run of the mill website advertised *##%%@+$. Look up Tim Sykes and ReaperTrades (don't buy whatever they're peddling; you can learn a lot about what works w/ pennies and what doesn't just by looking at their posts. This really has nothing to do w/ actual investing, and I'd skip over it, but I learned a lot about the lingo and how to handle yourself by risking some money on these kinds of trades. I don't recommend it though, as the methodology is extremely shaky (and it's in a sort of legal grey area).

At minimum, the lowest amount you should start investing is $2000 (or enough to open a margin acct w/ your broker), so you don't get stuck w/ trading on a cash account ("free-riding" violations; if you make a trade (buy, then sell) on a cash account, you have to wait 3 business days for it to clear before you can make another trade). I didn't know about this when I first started trading, and it had me 
mad.gif
. You'll still be subject to the Pattern day trading rule (which never ceased to annoy the daylights out of me).

I've heard good things about thinkorswim, but I never used them. I used Speedtrader, b/c of their 2k margin minimum, but their commission rate is pretty high. If fast trades are your top priority, then Speedtrader is the way to go. I used Zecco and Scottrade as well, but I don't recommend them. Trades were slow, and the only redeeming quality about Scottrade is that you probably have one close to your home.

I got out in the end of April so I could focus more on school (taking summer classes now, I really need to catch up w/ the rest of the comp sci curricula), but the market is slowly calling me back 
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom