Is Don Lemon the most influential Uncle Tom in the game right now?

**** it, I'll entertain.

So you're saying theres a justifiable reason for racism in any community.

Hes trying to make everyone look hypocritical, but religion(your points on how Muslims treat gays and women) and racism is two totally separate zip up bags.

No I'm saying that people from other cultures can criticize a certain aspect of our culture without belonging to it.

That statement was sarcasm in response to a lot of ludicrous statements Ive read in here.

If one day the topic of discussion happens to be his own race, the people it goes through realistically can't tell a multiple award winning journalist who has become one of CNN's top guys that he can't do it on his own segment.

No disrespect homie, but that is not how the media (and the entertainment world as a whole) works at ALL. Artists, TV personalities, and entertainers as a whole are often told what they can/cannot do while working under the guise of their respective companies.

Yea, you "can" criticize, as in, have the ability to, but that doesn't make it right and it doesn't mean you should.

Yea, you "can" criticize, as in, have the ability to, but that doesn't make it right and it doesn't mean you should.

Right so people from other cultures should not speak out against racism. They don't know racists like that yo. Don't criticize what you ain't a part of chief.

This Lord dude is makin about as much sense as a potato, but let him tell it, he's the most level headed dude in the thread

If one day the topic of discussion happens to be his own race, the people it goes through realistically can't tell a multiple award winning journalist who has become one of CNN's top guys that he can't do it on his own segment.

No disrespect homie, but that is not how the media (and the entertainment world as a whole) works at ALL. Artists, TV personalities, and entertainers as a whole are often told what they can/cannot do while working under the guise of their respective companies.

we're not talking about artists, entertainers, etc. and the only thing that's disrespectful is you implying i'm an idiot with no clue by saying no disrespect :lol:

we're specifically talking about his no talking points segment. i'm sure he'll run it by people to fact check, see if it could be bad PR, but for the most part if it's true and won't mess with his career in any way they'll give him his 5 minutes to use his journalistic license and talk about what he wants to talk about as opposed to just the topics CNN has him be an anchor for.

no disrespect b, but I'm done debating this topic.

Last edited:
we're not talking about artists, entertainers, etc. and the only thing that's disrespectful is you implying i'm an idiot with no clue by saying no disrespect :lol:

we're specifically talking about his no talking points segment. i'm sure he'll run it by people to fact check, see if it could be bad PR, but for the most part if it's true and won't mess with his career in any way they'll give him his 5 minutes to use his journalistic license and talk about what he wants to talk about.

no disrespect b, but I'm done debating this topic.

Nah, I just wanted to precurse that post with no disrespect on the oft-chance that you found it disrespectful (because on NT, an oppositional opinion is a disrespectful opinion.) Guess that worked against me. :lol: My bad, G. Didn't mean to imply that you are any less intelligent than I.

But you pretty much said what I was getting at when you said "he'll run it by people to fact check, see if it could be bad PR..." I guarantee you that if Don Lemon put something in that segment that CNN didn't vibe with, he would be checked during that process and told to take it out of the segment. In fact, I'm sure it's happened a number of times already.

Last edited:
Lol me get this straight people shouldn't criticize negative aspects of other cultures unless it has to do with racism against blacks. Y'all aren't eve trying to not sound biased.

Lol me get this straight people shouldn't criticize negative aspects of other cultures unless it has to do with racism against blacks. Y'all aren't eve trying to not sound biased.

That's not what anyone has said at all. I think the point that we're trying to make is that while people can make all the criticisms they want towards other cultures/communities/etc, they shouldn't expect their criticism to be received by the ones they critique in a positive light unless there is some sort of shared understanding.

Not that you have to be a part of a culture to criticize it, or that because you don't belong to a culture that your criticisms are invalid.

Last edited:

That's not what anyone has said at all. I think the point that we're trying to make is that while people can make all the criticisms they want towards other cultures/communities/etc, they shouldn't expect their criticism to be received by the ones they critique in a positive light unless there is some sort of shared understanding.

Not that you have to be a part of a culture to criticize it, or that because you don't belong to a culture that your criticisms are invalid.

This is the key, as well as the delivery of the message

Oh ok in that case anyone who is unreceptive to my criticism can bite my shiny metal....certain people in here were making it sound like you shouldn't criticize other cultures negatives. Sounds like a lot f backtracking in this thread. I went back and read some responses and people are def saying dude had no place criticizing black culture. He has a place, not everyone has to like it.

Last edited:
I'm not knocking him cause he's gay but these major news media outlets go for a certain type of black male

You'll never see them carry one that would be like the black bill o'reilly

Can't have a color talking reckless and brash like that all the time....those in power will not allow that
True

Oh ok in that case anyone who is unreceptive to my criticism can bite my shiny metal....certain people in here were making it sound like you shouldn't criticize other cultures negatives. Sounds like a lot f backtracking in this thread. I went back and read some responses and people are def saying dude had no place criticizing black culture. He has a place, not everyone has to like it.

We all have a right to criticize, doesn't mean it will be welcomed to the ones being criticized. To me, dude came off as "I'm Black so I know how it is and this is why "xyandz" is the way it is. Yadda yadda yadda." It's the same as those who were never raped telling those who were how they should cope with it. While it may be a suggestion, u don't know what they're going through/went through so u can't really act like u know because u never experienced it.

Bro must be smoking dopey dope to think Bill Cosby is an Uncle Tom. Cosby wants the progression for the African American community. Sagging our pants does not make us black, Chief Keef on the other hand is playing more of an uncle tom role because he is playing into the stereotype of a gun toting, pants sagging, dope smoking hoodlum.

We all have a right to criticize, doesn't mean it will be welcomed to the ones being criticized. To me, dude came off as "I'm Black so I know how it is and this is why "xyandz" is the way it is. Yadda yadda yadda." It's the same as those who were never raped telling those who were how they should cope with it. While it may be a suggestion, u don't know what they're going through/went through so u can't really act like u know because u never experienced it.

Don't care what they are going through I have less empathy and tolerance than the average man for certain behaviors. I'm getting tired of the excuses.

See that's the thing though, the majority of white ppl don't see themselves some group, there's no "us" among them unless we're breaking in to units based on ethnicity or religion, etc. Lets face it they'd much more identify with caste system based on income. Whereas many black ppl think there's an "us" due to the color of skin alone and carry that mentality based on things that have happened in the past.

there's an "us" among us because this country has created that "us" for us.
I know. I'm just saying we continue to think that way and in those quotes it can't really be applied to white ppl cuz they don't think that way or had to deal with such a restriction created for them.

Bro must be smoking dopey dope to think Bill Cosby is an Uncle Tom. Cosby wants the progression for the African American community. Sagging our pants does not make us black, Chief Keef on the other hand is playing more of an uncle tom role because he is playing into the stereotype of a gun toting, pants sagging, dope smoking hoodlum.

Real ****

All these folks think is cool to be "hood"/"ratchet" now, like they got a pass or something. Playing right on into it.

You think after the Emancipation Proclamation was signed, they just gave up on trying to control blacks?

*....waiting for all the people "within the community" to get a movement of blacks rising up and facing their collective psychological issues head on...*

*...waiting for cats who grew up and still live in the hood to get a new black panther style movement going...*

*...waiting for the black community to stop making excuses for the things we know are dead wrong while simultaneously encouraging/championing those very things and refusing to accept anything else...*

*...waiting for the black community to stop demanding that "hood culture" be the only representation we accept as authentic...*

**** it, I'll entertain.

So you're saying theres a justifiable reason for racism in any community.

Hes trying to make everyone look hypocritical, but religion(your points on how Muslims treat gays and women) and racism is two totally separate zip up bags.

They are two different things but the principle still stands, I can criticize a religious culture without being a part of it, in the same way I can criticize a race's behavior without being a part of it. Of course religion and race are two different things did u come up with that all by yourself? To say that my criticisms are invalid because I'm not in that culture is bogus.

Last edited:
*....waiting for all the people "within the community" to get a movement of blacks rising up and facing their collective psychological issues head on...*

*...waiting for cats who grew up and still live in the hood to get a new black panther style movement going...*

*...waiting for the black community to stop making excuses for the things we know are dead wrong while simultaneously encouraging/championing those very things and refusing to accept anything else...*

*...waiting for the black community to stop demanding that "hood culture" be the only representation we accept as authentic...*

I want this to happen too, but if we look back on history *COUGHCOINTELPROCOUGH*, we can see that America isn't too friendly with organizations that promote a pro-black agenda. Black Panther Party for Self Defense, Lincoln Detox of Harlem, Republic of New Afrika, National Rainbow Coalition... the list goes on.

It's easy to say that "Someone should do something," but if you're unwilling to be apart of the solution, I don't think you have a place to suggest a plan of action.

It's really ashame that black people support the use of calling each other n*gga, leave that to other races to call each other so they look ignorant. Us brothers and sisters of color need to stop calling our brothers uncle tom's because they aren't contributing to the ongoing steriotype of foolishness and acting ignorant for fame.

Back
Top Bottom