Is Getting A Shapeup an "Unproffesional" Look?

Was talking to a friend about this the other day. I know it might sound like a silly logic but he brought up the point that many CORPORATE/POLITICAL blackfigures walk around without shape ups. Obama, Jessie Jackson, Tiger Woods, news anchors. I have heard some say that it is "too black."

Has anyone heard this before? Yea I know it sounds silly but it is something to ponder.

like a line up? i dont see that....
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

i believe krs-one asked something similar to this in his song whys that? something about why black people on tv and in commercials or ads always are portrayedwith an afro...

Originally Posted by Korean Dave

A line up can look professional if done in good taste.
What is a bad taste shape up though?
laugh.gif

I am not talking about crazy haircuts, just a haircut and a shape up.

WHat would make one "in good taste"

Originally Posted by Gmills23

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

This topic is funny to me.
But forreal white people dont even really notice what black dudes get cuts/shapeups. So I dont think it's really a factor.
laugh.gif
Funny you say that.

When I DON'T get a haircut, I get asked, "Did you cut your hair."

But when I do go to the barber shop they say nothing
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

LOL Never looks like he has one to me
obama_smoking.png
27_obama_lg.jpg

Compare those with the first two pics. He obviously just doesn't go get haircuts and ignore his line

Well, actually in many places, your friend is right. For example, many corporates don't get the top/front of the shape up done. Also, many cut off theirsideburns (easier for shaving daily) into a wide box right where the ear starts. This can be seen opposed to getting the front perfectly straight and razoredand then also getting long skinny precision sideburns.

Also even just a ceasar like most get in urban environment is a little unproffesional also only because its a young thing. Sure there are exceptions, but mosttha thave ceasars are young, hip kind of guys (even whites like Beckham (sp?) and Timberlake).

No, it is always in your best interest to be well-groomed. A shapeup falls in that category. Plus, you are more confident in yourself which leads to a focus onyour work. I know when I don't shave I have caught myself running my hand over the stubble often throughout the day.

Reactions: GJR
Originally Posted by Im Not You

061211_obama_vlrg_3awidec.jpg
obama%20thoughtful.jpg

Is it crisp? No. Is he getting shape ups? Yes.
but Obama would never sit in a chair and get a Brooklyn fade or some OD sharp lines.

There's a little too it looking "too black" maybe, but I think it's more that people in those demographics you named tend to be older too andget where they care less about having a crisp line and the fade just on point. Because whoever did Obama's in that left picture needs to be slapped. Templeis different length than the top but not on purpose, so it's not faded or blended. In fact I bet he does it himself

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by Korean Dave

A line up can look professional if done in good taste.
What is a bad taste shape up though?
laugh.gif

I am not talking about crazy haircuts, just a haircut and a shape up.

WHat would make one "in good taste"

If you have to ask, then you definitly wont know what I'm talking about. Walk down to your local hood and look around.

So what did you think about him Johnson? Well he has the credentials but did you see his hair he had a shape up. You're right, who's next.

Huh? Why can't you just answer the question. I don't know what a "shapeup in good taste" is. LOL

You either get one or you don't LOL

Originally Posted by donfratrachelli

Originally Posted by Im Not You

061211_obama_vlrg_3awidec.jpg
obama%20thoughtful.jpg

Is it crisp? No. Is he getting shape ups? Yes.
but Obama would never sit in a chair and get a Brooklyn fade or some OD sharp lines.
And since when was a Brooklyn fade and OD sharp lines define "shape up"?

These are shape ups (not saying but they're the best just to illustrate what a normal shape up is:

medium_AJAM.jpg

p-diddy-picture-1.jpg

Jay-Z.jpg

I think black folk care about this more than white people....

KRS-1 should be one to talk...his +!#% looks like a birds nest.

I dunno how seriously people will take you (if you're in your late 20's - early 30's) if you get some sharp @%! side burns, and some thin @%!mustache on that Prince steez...

I see the point about the sideburns, but I dont see how a shape up can be bad taste? I mean unless you gettin that spray paint @*%
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom