Is it bad I don't care to listen to 97% of the hip hop out there today?

There is a huge bidding war for Chance and frankly they don't sign more Kendricks because it's not easy to put candy in the medicine.

Few artists posess Kendricks ability to make radio hits while still retaining a message. Labels are a business at the end of the day, first and foremost. It's all good if you got a message in your music but can you make a Swimming Pools so that you can not only get on the radio but also get the non-backpackers to listen.

It's fairly easy to make conscious rap. It's a lot harder to make radio singles that can go far at the same time.

This is ********

and as far as radio songs. You have people who aren't even saying lyrics. Who are mumbling. All it needs is melody and a beat.

I understand the love for trap music. It taps into your warrior spirit which is embedded in your dna. I could break down the science but not in this thread but there was a certain type music billions of years ago in africa that would essentially equate to what trap music is today.

I get it. However, i think its a bit puzzling that sometimes you dont take a step back and ask yourselves the why and how of everything. If you have a brain at some point you have to hear the hyper-misogyny and celebration of penitentiary culture and draw a parallel there.

You ever ask yourselves why youre so quick to defend it? Thats your subconscious at work. Consciously, you know the **** is ******ed but your subconscious is eating the **** up. The music causes your brain to release dopamine, causing you to crave what it is youre hearing.

Last edited:
This is ********

and as far as radio songs. You have people who aren't even saying lyrics. Who are mumbling. All it needs is melody and a beat.

It is fairly easy.

Ask anyone who makes music and they'll tell you it's a lot easier to sit with a dictionary and fit all types of big words into your rap than it is to actually come up with a catchy radio record that resonates with people.

If you look at the Billboard r&b/hip hop charts top 10, there is no mumble rap. It's not even really rap on there aside from Kevin Gates with 2 Phones, who certainly isn't mumble rap.

There's a science behind songwriting otherwise any Joe Blow could be a hit pop/R&B songwriter.

Last edited:
Rap wasn't always about lyrics. In the 70s/80s, dudes were making songs solely to party to and to perform to a crowd not everyone was kicking complex lyrics like Big Daddy Kane. Also MCs weren't always the focal point.

Hip-Hop hasn't died, its evolved and will continue to evolve.

Also there is a plethora of quality artists with good substance, but you're not going to hear them on the radio.

It is fairly easy.

Ask anyone who makes music and they'll tell you it's a lot easier to sit with a dictionary and fit all types of big words into your rap than it is to actually come up with a catchy radio record that resonates with people.

If you look at the Billboard r&b/hip hop charts top 10, there is no mumble rap. It's not even really rap on there aside from Kevin Gates with 2 Phones, who certainly isn't mumble rap.

There's a science behind songwriting otherwise any Joe Blow could be a hit pop/R&B songwriter.

Any Joe Blow is

Fetty Wap has been doing music for how long, yet he got how many number one records last year?

Rap of substance is easy to make. From people who have no substance, education and don't read....ok :lol:

I understand the love for trap music. It taps into your warrior spirit which is embedded in your dna. I could break down the science but not in this thread but there was a certain type music billions of years ago in africa that would essentially equate to what trap music is today.

I get it. However, i think its a bit puzzling that sometimes you dont take a step back and ask yourselves the why and how of everything. If you have a brain at some point you have to hear the hyper-misogyny and celebration of penitentiary culture and draw a parallel there.

You ever ask yourselves why youre so quick to defend it? Thats your subconscious at work. Consciously, you know the **** is ******ed but your subconscious is eating the **** up. The music causes your brain to release dopamine, causing you to crave what it is youre hearing.

But can you really say the labels are to blame anymore when the top 3 lucrative and pushed rappers are Drake, Cole and Kendrick?

And street rappers like Keef can move 300k but yet still get dropped because the labels don't want those problems? Or someone like Thug struggles to sell over 30k records?

YG, Future and Meek are the only street rappers who I can think of that are still even pushed by labels. I guess Gates counts as a street rapper but he's not really on no ignorant ****.

Dudes like 21 Savage are independent and thriving solely off of the fans desire for that type of content.

"Pull up at your mama house and dump some rounds in it" ain't making it to the radio but yet Red Opps comes on at a party or club and everyone is gonna sing along.

You could maybe blame the labels for creating the environment for that content to thrive in the first place though.

But can you really say the labels are to blame anymore when the top 3 lucrative and pushed rappers are Drake, Cole and Kendrick?

And street rappers like Keef can move 300k but yet still get dropped because the labels don't want those problems? Or someone like Thug struggles to sell over 30k records?

YG, Future and Meek are the only street rappers who I can think of that are still even pushed by labels. I guess Gates counts as a street rapper but he's not really on no ignorant ****.

Dudes like 21 Savage are independent and thriving solely off of the fans desire for that type of content.

"Pull up at your mama house and dump some rounds in it" ain't making it to the radio but yet Red Opps comes on at a party or club and everyone is gonna sing along.

You could maybe blame the labels for creating the environment for that content to thrive in the first place though.

I dont think i mentioned labels one time so im not sure where youre going with this

Any Joe Blow is

Fetty Wap has been doing music for how long, yet he got how many number one records last year?

Rap of substance is easy to make. From people who have no substance, education and don't read....ok :lol:

Fetty actually is good with melodies.

Future and Swae Lee are songwriting for Beyoncé. Just because these dudes don't fit your typical definitions of being lyrical or whatever don't mean they aren't good songwriters or that they aren't talented.

We're Nelly and T-Pain not talented songwriters because they weren't lyrical?

Speak on it.

Rap wasn't always about lyrics. In the 70s/80s, dudes were making songs solely to party to and to perform to a crowd not everyone was kicking complex lyrics like Big Daddy Kane. Also MCs weren't always the focal point.

Hip-Hop hasn't died, its evolved and will continue to evolve.

Also there is a plethora of quality artists with good substance, but you're not going to hear them on the radio.

Wrong, songs like "The Message" and "White Lines" by Melle Mel, etc. were all lyrical. If you were not lyrical back then, in hip hop, you were considered a joke. You can make party/up-beat songs, and still be lyrical. The difference is, back then, the beat and lyrics either coincided with each other, or the lyrics always overshadowed the beat.

Today, a lot of rap/hip-hop is enjoyed solely based off the beat. Beats and production are the driving forces, with most of the mainstream/commercial rap.

Wrong, songs like "The Message" and "White Lines" by Melle Mel, etc. were all lyrical. If you were not lyrical back then, in hip hop, you were considered a joke. You can make party/up-beat songs, and still be lyrical. The difference is, back then, the beat and lyrics either coincided with each other, or the lyrics always overshadowed the beat.

Today, a lot of rap/hip-hop is enjoyed solely based off the beat. Beats and production are the driving forces, with most of the mainstream/commercial rap.
:stoneface: I didn't say every rapper wasn't lyrical though.

Any Joe Blow is

Fetty actually is good with melodies.

Future and Swae Lee are songwriting for Beyoncé. Just because these dudes don't fit your typical definitions of being lyrical or whatever don't mean they aren't good songwriters or that they aren't talented.

We're Nelly and T-Pain not talented songwriters because they weren't lyrical?

Definitely talented without being lyrical, but both were also part of eras with a fair radio balance, which I think has been addressed a handful of times in here. Simply put, mainstream radio just had a lot of everything on there, so you weren't being beat over the head by the same sounds all the time. It's weird, cause in 2016, everyone has every type of music you could possibly access through a variety of social media whether it's YouTube, Spotify, SoundCloud, etc, yet an almost singular sound is flooding the radio, which is still a huge part of what's being played. I can't give an exact ratio of what it is, but it feels like that diversity in mainstream rap that you don't have to seek out is at an all-time low. The normal standard video channels have pretty much been eliminated. Think it would do some good to have your standard video programs able to place Bankroll Fresh by Torae, Beatking by Phonte, and YG next to Black Milk.

70s/80s hip hop was ALWAYS about the lyrics though. That is my point. Whether it was a socially conscious song, or a party song.
Plant Rock was lyrical? One of more popular songs from that era.

Also how could that be the case when hip-hop didn't start with MCs actually rapping?

Let's stop trying to Blame the music on the violence in the hood like really at 10 yrs old I understood that killing & robbing was not a good thing to do.....Let's not make excuses for these dudes man & use rap as the scapegoat before gangsta rap even came out there was violence in the hood due to the crack.....As far as rap goes the production is one of the main problem all these clowns making the same type of beats just a bunch of cookie cutter beat everything sounds like 1 long song....As far a conscious rap I love it but when i go out I don't want to here that....

Nelly can rap circles around most of these clowns rapping today. He's not a lyricist but he could rap. Flow, content, style.

Nelly can rap circles around most of these clowns rapping today. He's not a lyricist but he could rap. Flow, content, style.

Yep I agree alot of these dudes would have been laughed out of record label offices in the early 00's & if they would have been signed you never would have heard they're music because it would have been shelved & they would have gotten dropped....It's not about being trapped in the 90's or early 00's the point is these dudes don't have it they can't rap man....The 90's & early 00's had alot of goofy rappers but at least they had their own style & wasn't copying off dudes....That's like the Original Trap rappers T.I., JEEZY, GUCCI & ROCKO came a little later but all them had there own sound....These dudes just bite off each other nobody really has a identity in rap anymore.....

Last edited:
This is the exact reason I just quit the radio and got a spotify premium account. I get to download whole albums to my phone and listen on the go. I've been catching up music I never got to hear.

SUPER late pass but I just heard Aquemeni for the first time; easily my favorite Outkast album. :pimp:

Let's stop trying to Blame the music on the violence in the hood like really at 10 yrs old I understood that killing & robbing was not a good thing to do.....Let's not make excuses for these dudes man & use rap as the scapegoat before gangsta rap even came out there was violence in the hood due to the crack.....As far as rap goes the production is one of the main problem all these clowns making the same type of beats just a bunch of cookie cutter beat everything sounds like 1 long song....As far a conscious rap I love it but when i go out I don't want to here that....

Why is it that everyone that uses this argument almost always use themselves as an example of why music isnt influential?

Everything in existence has an effect on something. Atoms are positive, negative, or neutral. Thus everything under the sun is the same.

You cant possibly be a grown man and think these pervasive themes of materialism, misogyny, murder amd mayhem have no effect on people. A scientist who studies these things would laugh in your face if you told him that. How could anything dealing with repetition not? As a human you are wired to respond to repetition.

Thats why school is 99 percent committing things to memory. We can go in multiple threads on this same page and find examples of how we're influenced by music.

You cant possibly believe they influence how we think and dress and believe they cant influence action.

Its levels to it. It can be physical...or it can be something as little as the word ***** being the default term for women in your brain. It was never as simple as "21 savage made me kill someone" amd i think thats the part some people camt wrap their brains around. Its all or nothing with some people.

Again, rap music is not the #1 cause of the black plight. But it indeed plays a factor.

Last edited:

Yep I agree alot of these dudes would have been laughed out of record label offices in the early 00's & if they would have been signed you never would have heard they're music because it would have been shelved & they would have gotten dropped....It's not about being trapped in the 90's or early 00's the point is these dudes don't have it they can't rap man....The 90's & early 00's had alot of goofy rappers but at least they had their own style & wasn't copying off dudes....That's like the Original Trap rappers T.I., JEEZY, GUCCI & ROCKO came a little later but all them had there own sound....These dudes just bite off each other nobody really has a identity in rap anymore.....
Mike Jones! Who?! Mike Jones! 281-330-8004! Hit Mike Jones up on the low cuz Mike Jones about to blow!

First hip hop song I ever heard was Method man and the intro was jokes so it got me hooked. My brother put me on to mad old school stuff as a kid, **** is dope but I was born in 92 so when I was coming up all the down south stuff was staring to pop off. I honestly like both lyrics and the trap ****. Expand ya horizons my guy.

Last edited:
Why is it that everyone that uses this argument almost always use themselves as an example of why music isnt influential?

Everything in existence has an effect on something. Atoms are positive, negative, or neutral. Thus everything under the sun is the same.

You cant possibly be a grown man and think these pervasive themes of materialism, misogyny, murder amd mayhem have no effect on people. A scientist who studies these things would laugh in your face if you told him that. How could anything dealing with repetition not? As a human you are wired to respond to repetition.

Thats why school is 99 percent committing things to memory. We can go in multiple threads on this same page and find examples of how we're influenced by music.

You cant possibly believe they influence how we think and dress and believe they cant influence action.

Its levels to it. It can be physical...or it can be something as little as the word ***** being the default term for women in your brain. It was never as simple as "21 savage made me kill someone" amd i think thats the part some people camt wrap their brains around. Its all or nothing with some people.

Again, rap music is not the #1 cause of the black plight. But it indeed plays a factor.

Yea I hear dude if you got any kids I hope you teaching them accountability because if your kid commits a crime when he/she gets older no judge gonna want to hear no "Hip-Hop made me do it" excuse.....He just gonna send him up state it starts at the home man period better teach your kids the difference between reality & fiction.......

Mike Jones! Who?! Mike Jones! 281-330-8004! Hit Mike Jones up on the low cuz Mike Jones about to blow!

Haha yea man I always forget about him he was corny but do had his own lane.....

I think it's part of being young. You don't have the same self awareness and aren't as reflective. You live in the moment.

I thought the same when I was younger. I am me because of me.

To a certain extent that's true, but not everyone has the same environment and upbringing.

There's a reason rap doesn't run out and sign other Logic's, but instead chooses a bunch of Chief Keef's and Migos and chooses to push them. You have to start looking at why is that and look at who makes the decisions.

I think it's part of being young. You don't have the same self awareness and aren't as reflective. You live in the moment.

I thought the same when I was younger. I am me because of me.

To a certain extent that's true, but not everyone has the same environment and upbringing.

There's a reason rap doesn't run out and sign other Logic's, but instead chooses a bunch of Chief Keef's and Migos and chooses to push them. You have to start looking at why is that and look at who makes the decisions.

Logic has sold more than Chief Keef and Migos though.

Funny thing about Migos is.....them dudes are actually talented. It's their subject matter...and repetitiveness (industry biting flow) that holds them back.

When they first burst onto the scene...it was a breath of fresh air...because NOBODY was rapping like that. A dude like takeoff from a technical rap standpoint is up there. Dudes flow and worldplay is ridiculous. Then the whole industry, from Ogs to vets, to r&b singers, to pop bit their flows....and diluted the sht outta what once was an original organic thing.

Migos Impact reminds me a lil of Das EFX's in the 90s. The came with that "wiggedy wack" type flow...weren't talking about anything at all....and everybody else in the industry jumped on it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom