Is it just the Jordan mystique that makes him the "undisputed" GOAT?

Serious question, because it kills me when people say that he's the undisputed greatest player of all time like there's no reasonable debate for any other player. Yes he won 6 championships, but so did Kareem...and Russell had 11. Jordan had 6 regular season MVP's, so did Kareem. MJ had 10 scoring titles, Kareem only had 2...but he's the NBA All-time's leading scorer. Then there's Magic Johnson who's arguably in the discussion because he revolutionized the pg position arguably greater than what MJ did for the shooting guard position. Could have very easily been the best player in the league at positions #1-4, and had one of the greatest games in NBA history while filling in for an injured Kareem at center. 
So that's Russell, Kareem, and Magic I think who all have a fitting place in the discussion as well as Wilt Chamberlain who I didn't even bother to list because we all know his individual stats are off the charts. 

I got time to kill at work today, so I'm just saying it's the Jordan mystique...the shoes, the bald head, the overall image that has people convinced he is the GOAT. I understand it's difficult to discuss players from previous eras that we didn't see play, but that doesn't take away from what they accomplished. 

Serious question, because it kills me when people say that he's the undisputed greatest player of all time like there's no reasonable debate for any other player. Yes he won 6 championships, but so did Kareem...and Russell had 11. Jordan had 6 regular season MVP's, so did Kareem. MJ had 10 scoring titles, Kareem only had 2...but he's the NBA All-time's leading scorer. Then there's Magic Johnson who's arguably in the discussion because he revolutionized the pg position arguably greater than what MJ did for the shooting guard position. Could have very easily been the best player in the league at positions #1-4, and had one of the greatest games in NBA history while filling in for an injured Kareem at center. 
So that's Russell, Kareem, and Magic I think who all have a fitting place in the discussion as well as Wilt Chamberlain who I didn't even bother to list because we all know his individual stats are off the charts. 

I got time to kill at work today, so I'm just saying it's the Jordan mystique...the shoes, the bald head, the overall image that has people convinced he is the GOAT. I understand it's difficult to discuss players from previous eras that we didn't see play, but that doesn't take away from what they accomplished. 

Its things like leading the league in scoring, getting the mvp, dpoy in the same season while being a guard.

Its things like leading the league in scoring, getting the mvp, dpoy in the same season while being a guard.

The titles, the accolades, his image...the whole 9. He's about as complete of a player that the NBA has ever seen...playing in an era where (for the most part) there is no debate about the level of competition. It's no disrespect to guys like Wilt or Bill Russell...but the NBA was much better/more competitive IMO in Jordan's era. It's just the evolution of sport, and Mike was king.

The titles, the accolades, his image...the whole 9. He's about as complete of a player that the NBA has ever seen...playing in an era where (for the most part) there is no debate about the level of competition. It's no disrespect to guys like Wilt or Bill Russell...but the NBA was much better/more competitive IMO in Jordan's era. It's just the evolution of sport, and Mike was king.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

Lebron is the GOAT

THIS. The love MJ gets is all designed to screw over lebron. He wasn't that good. Those were just special effects and an image
I have MJ in my top 20 though

Originally Posted by Im Not You

Lebron is the GOAT

THIS. The love MJ gets is all designed to screw over lebron. He wasn't that good. Those were just special effects and an image
I have MJ in my top 20 though

the bald head

laugh.gif

DPOY as a guard is much more difficult as big men are rewarded for stats like blocks and high rebound #s.

6 rings in 8 years is the most likely reason. 6 finals mvps while going 6-0, his style of play and his fg % as a two guard is another. Not that I necessarily agree with him being the "undisputeD" GOAT, but I see why some say that.

6 rings in 8 years is the most likely reason. 6 finals mvps while going 6-0, his style of play and his fg % as a two guard is another. Not that I necessarily agree with him being the "undisputeD" GOAT, but I see why some say that.

NO SON

its the overall package

he was the greatest scorer and defender that the NBA has ever seen.

i dont think we'll ever see such a great scorer win a dpoy trophy again.

dont forget he won the scoring title every time he won a championship, no will ever do that 6 times again.

highest career ppg.

highest career playoffs ppg.

most playoff points scored total
(which is amazing considering all the time he missed,when someone like kareem who played 20 years straight should have this record)

highest ppg average in the nba finals. 42 points in a 6 game series!  no one is ever gonna average that again.

he's 2nd all-time in steals and thats because stockton played 432 more games than him.

jordan owns the most records, more than wilt and kareem. all while playing in the toughest era to score in. (the 90's)

it would take too long for me to list all of his records.

NO SON

its the overall package

he was the greatest scorer and defender that the NBA has ever seen.

i dont think we'll ever see such a great scorer win a dpoy trophy again.

dont forget he won the scoring title every time he won a championship, no will ever do that 6 times again.

highest career ppg.

highest career playoffs ppg.

most playoff points scored total
(which is amazing considering all the time he missed,when someone like kareem who played 20 years straight should have this record)

highest ppg average in the nba finals. 42 points in a 6 game series!  no one is ever gonna average that again.

he's 2nd all-time in steals and thats because stockton played 432 more games than him.

jordan owns the most records, more than wilt and kareem. all while playing in the toughest era to score in. (the 90's)

it would take too long for me to list all of his records.

6 rings.
5x MVP.
14x All-Star.
6x Finals MVP.
DPOY
9x All-NBA Defensive Team
10 scoring titles.
Career regular season scoring average of 30.1 points.
Career playoff scoring average of 33.4 points.
5,987 career playoff points.

It's not the Jordan "mystique" that makes him the GOAT - what he did on the basketball court makes him the GOAT.

6 rings.
5x MVP.
14x All-Star.
6x Finals MVP.
DPOY
9x All-NBA Defensive Team
10 scoring titles.
Career regular season scoring average of 30.1 points.
Career playoff scoring average of 33.4 points.
5,987 career playoff points.

It's not the Jordan "mystique" that makes him the GOAT - what he did on the basketball court makes him the GOAT.

No.

But the "mystique" is what makes it hard for anyone to put up a debate of anyone being better, or for anyone dethroning him from that position of being the GOAT.

Back
Top Bottom