Is it ok to take paid time off right after I started my new job?

ask people you feel like you can trust at work.

if they say its a bad look then dont do it.

Did they tell you you have 1 week vacation to take ? Like it's part of the job ? If so I say take it it's yours if not write it down asap about October

Plan on taking a week vacation in October... Dont plan to ask until July... which is 3 months in advance.. yall think thats a good look?

I started working in Feb.

I'm glad I only work with 2 other people boss included and we all take a couple weeks off a year. We all blow through our vacation and still take time off. :lol:

We cover the other persons stuff while they are gone and we all work 50 hours a week on the regular. No one cares if you want to leave early for something or take a week off we'll cover it. There is more to life than work.

Some of y'all are seriously saying you should wait an ENTIRE YEAR before taking a PTO day at a salaried job? That's insane.
He's a Gov contractor too, so he gets at least 80hrs a year PTO. Whether they bank them all on your start date or have you accrue every pay period, I really don't se how it'd be a problem. Most places if you accrue, will even just let you go negative and accrue it back. I've been a contractor damn near 10 yrs. People take vacations all the time. PMs and HR understand people have lives really. The companies that have been super cut throat and ruthless over silly stuff like that tend to not last long. Ask your boss and see what he/she says. Coming in on time, getting your work done, your professional relationship with clients, and things like that will be remembered more than you going on vacation within a year of getting hired.

As a Black man in corporate America, I can honestly tell you that I've waited a whole year before taking paid time off

As a Black man in corporate America, I can honestly tell you that I've waited a whole year before taking paid time off

:lol: Word.

If you are within 6 month range from the day you started, don't ask for a PTO. Not a good look.

That is a probationary period in most Corps. Performance and commitment is all they are gaging you on, atleast wait till the you've had your first review.

A lot of the same people who have been working around here have reputations for a number of different things. I can't think of anyone who is known or talked about for using their pto too early. We even have a guy who was a serial s.h.a.r.p (sexual harassment and rape prevention) violator who kept getting rehired.

I think some of you might be too sensitive or worried in that regard. But everyone and every work environment is different. Take your vacations.

Last edited:
If you wanna go, GO. 

This job don't own you man. Long as you working hard when you there I wouldn't give a damn. Idk why people don't want to take vacation time when it's there for you to take. Just be productive when you are there. Plenty people that show up to work everyday and don't get **** done. Just my two cents. 

in same predicament i start 4/24. will tell them after i start that i plan on taking off memorial day weekend. however, in the past i told a job after the 1st interview i needed to postpone 2nd interview for family vacation. i got back from vacay and they rescinded the offer. ill take unpaid days or do makeup days if need be.

Last edited:
If you wanna go, GO. 

This job don't own you man. Long as you working hard when you there I wouldn't give a damn. Idk why people don't want to take vacation time when it's there for you to take. Just be productive when you are there. Plenty people that show up to work everyday and don't get **** done. Just my two cents. 
While true, THIS is not why people are telling dude NOT to go.

That's wild. I hope I never end up working for a crap boss/company that made me feel like that.

My boss encouraged me to take all 19 days of my PTO my first year and was actually upset that I didn't :lol:

Last edited:
The company I work for is amazing in my opinion and if I was so cavalier about taking time off that early into starting it would have reflected poorly.

Last edited:
I usually will wait a few (4-6)  months before requesting a weekish long vacation at a new job.  But, in the past I told companies I had plans coming up when they offered me the job and they were always cool with it.  The company I am at now is super laid back and we have unlimited vacation, and my manager is always pushing me to take more. 
laugh.gif
  They are pretty much cool with anything as long as I am doing my thing.
pimp.gif

The company I work for is amazing in my opinion and if I was so cavalier about taking time off that early into starting it would have reflected poorly.
Bruh we don't even have to plan in advance or even explain ourselves. Sometimes you get up and are just like NOPE and if you got the hours banked, text our team lead like "going to take today off," and she'll hit you back like ok enjoy, is anything wrong? I mean we're all cool with each other so out of respect but not obligation might tell her if you have an appointment, aren't feeling well, car troubles, whatever but of holidays where everyone tends to take leave like block leave week before Christmas and some 4 days is the only time they'll ask in advance just to make sure everyone isn't off on the same day.

Bottom line, as long as you are a good employee, you won't have to worry about much. Now if you suck and have them where they are just looking for a reason, then yea I'd be concerned about every little move I make

Last edited:
Bruh we don't even have to plan in advance or even explain ourselves. Sometimes you get up and are just like NOPE and if you got the hours banked, text our team lead like "going to take today off," and she'll hit you back like ok enjoy, is anything wrong? I mean we're all cool with each other so out of respect but not obligation might tell her if you have an appointment, aren't feeling well, car troubles, whatever but of holidays where everyone tends to take leave like block leave week before Christmas and some 4 days is the only time they'll ask in advance just to make sure everyone isn't off on the same day.

Bottom line, as long as you are a good employee, you won't have to worry about much. Now if you suck and have them where they are just looking for a reason, then yea I'd be concerned about every little move I make

I'm in 3 months and a few days into my new job and have only missed two days because of snow.

My manager is super lax so when I put in for two days in May she okay'd without hesitation. She explained to me if I have a few of my vacations days left towards the end of the year to just apply them to Christmas/New Years and have all those days off.

two pieces of advice,

1. establish a reputation that you are important and necessary to your team there, show up on time, do what's expected of you on time and without mistakes, don't become expendable or easily replaced

2. use every available second of vacation time provided to you in your compensation package, that's part of your paycheck, you wouldn't go to them at the end of the week and hand back a hundred dollar bill and be like "nah I don't need this this month" so don't hand back the time you negotiated into your compensation package.

Back
Top Bottom