Is it Racist to be a Jamaican for Halloween?

I'm a white guy. I just wanted to buy a blond dreadlocks wig, make a green shirt that says "Jamaica Mon" and walk around with a Cool Runningsdvd. I'm not trying to offend anyone and have nothing against Jamaican people, I just think it would be a funny costume. Would this be considered racist ineveryone's opinion?

indifferent.gif

no it wouldn't be racist because there are white Jamaicans. If you wore black face then that would be a different story.

Originally Posted by GoodfellaDave

I'm a white guy. I just wanted to buy a blond dreadlocks wig, make a green shirt that says "Jamaica Mon" and walk around with a Cool Runnings dvd. I'm not trying to offend anyone and have nothing against Jamaican people, I just think it would be a funny costume. Would this be considered racist in everyone's opinion?
Plz Dont.

not racist but condescending and offensive. i hope you stay in a white neighborhood with that, though and if not, good luck. you might wanna go the extra mileand carry a gun like a real jamaican if so.

It's only racist if you don't have more than six part-time jobs. (Or is it eight? Being an actual Panamanian, I cannot fall below 70 work hours aweek.
frown.gif
)

NO...

IMO, it would only be racists if you actively emphasized certain negative racial stereotypes pertaining to Jamaicans--notably black Jamaicans.

But, why not be on the safe side and be something different instead...

i think if you painted on black face then it would be offensive. there has to be white jamaicans... i mean there are white africans.

Back
Top Bottom