Is the Sneaker game dying?

I disagree with this. Kanye knows how to sell hype, and who buys hype? Young consumers who don't know any better with money to burn. If Jordan isn't connected with the youth why are Jordans still popular still? That's the mind boggling part to me. While many say Jordans are dying, they actually have stood the test of time. That's saying something. I wonder if you throw a Kanye retro out 25 years from now if would get any attention. Only time will tell between who is classic vs who is just hot right now because of hype.
Here's the thing, the hype comes from Kanye himself. They're buying the shoe because his name is on it. They will sell rather they're limited or not. He had grown men buying super expensive duck boots and camping out for them. Calabasas flying off the shelves. Also, you've got to look at the affect he's had on Adidas. This whole boost wave nonsense, NMD, EQT ect. collecting started because he pulled heads over to the brand. NMDs have BEEN out and folks didn't give two damns about them. They've been able to sell other models behind him. Adidas really came A LONG way in a short time and I don't even think that they're maximizing their opportunity. I'm not saying Jordan brand is dying now, but that interest in them isn't as high with some of the youth anymore because most of then are beast and they follow trends. There's only certain models that sell with them, Jordan 1's being the leader. Will Yeezy's stand the test of time? There's a couple of ways to look at that question. One major factor is Kanye himself. He has a really volatile personality and his mouth could really kill the brand. Dude is ALL OVER THE PLACE. All these rants and crazy things he does have really started to become overbearing for some folks. Even his hardcore fans want him to shut up at times. I could see him saying something super offensive or stepping over the line and that would cause big issues for him. It's really a coin flip with him. Will see though.

Last edited:
NMDs have BEEN out and folks didn't give two damns about them.
You're dead wrong! The NMD OG R1 sold out the day it dropped with very little advertising. Adidas had a soft yet effective marketing campaign for it. By the time it was realized by the masses, the pair was nowhere to be found and could only be found on eBay going for at least $400+. Adidas then did two collaborations that set the sneaker community in a frenzy. They rolled out something like 10+ colorways in March 2016 and they all sold out the day they dropped. NMD's have never "BEEN" out and people didn't give 2 damns about them.

While I agree with your opinion on Kanye, you couldn't be more wrong with your NMD statement.

its a bubble that is largely due for a correction...due to oversaturation and a non organic demand for them, it creates a hype cycle that only a few can take advantage of...

iono what im talking about...
People have been calling it a bubble for damn near 13 years, it's not a bubble. This is the reality of sneakers now, it will never be like it was before.

It's more of a "brand/style" bubble than a general sneaker bubble. A lot of "limited" NBs, Asics, Sauconys, Jordans can now be found for a fraction of what they went for a few years ago.

It's more hype than anything. Celebrities have always worn shoes, that's not the new phenomenon.
Most definitely. I just feel like it goes hand-in-hand though. Hype is created but some celebs definitely play a role. Not faulting them...it's just the herd following.

Edit:
Just realized I'm talking more about "fashion" as a whole. Not only sneakers but every other designer/brand that's been popping up as of late.

Last edited:
shoes are more popular than ever

those youtubers get seeded shoes

they have packages coming in everyday

I can see it being hard to manage, you'd have to give them away as they come in cause you'd run outta space within a few months

what I don't like about them is they sell excessiveness to kids while they're making money off it and sell all their shoes or take em back to the store

Last edited:
You're dead wrong! The NMD OG R1 sold out the day it dropped with very little advertising. Adidas had a soft yet effective marketing campaign for it. By the time it was realized by the masses, the pair was nowhere to be found and could only be found on eBay going for at least $400+. Adidas then did two collaborations that set the sneaker community in a frenzy. They rolled out something like 10+ colorways in March 2016 and they all sold out the day they dropped. NMD's have never "BEEN" out and people didn't give 2 damns about them.

While I agree with your opinion on Kanye, you couldn't be more wrong with your NMD statement.

I think he's confusing the ultraboost and the NMD

I think he's confusing the ultraboost and the NMD

Maybe I am confusing the two. Repped both of you. Eitherway, I remember folks not caring about that stuff. Adidas is on the rise and even though I don't like them or really understand what the "wave" is about with the youth at all I respect Adidas for making a power move.

Maybe I am confusing the two. Repped both of you. Eitherway, I remember folks not caring about that stuff. Adidas is on the rise and even though I don't like them or really understand what the "wave" is about with the youth at all I respect Adidas for making a power move.
Word! You're correct that the masses didn't give a damn about that stuff. Once Kanye was photographed in the triple white Ultra Boost it was a wrap, the Hypebeast came in droves after that. It hasn't been the same since.

Back
Top Bottom