[:: J. COLE THREAD | DREAMVILLE's ROTD3 ALBUM OUT NOW!! ::]

i like the single. not great but not bad at all. im sure it bumps in the whip nicely. i just can't wait to hear the album, i have no doubt it will be incredible

Originally Posted by Ace Rawstein

I don't see him making the type of songs that'll get crazy popular in today's hip hop but he's more than capable to create that hot club banger/memorable dope single to garner attention for his albums and what not.
ohwell.gif
...but I do wanna believe what u saying...and it is true in the case of targeting his fanbase

I may have my NYC goggles on but I think he can make a song like Jay-Z's Can I Get A...., Money Aint A Thing, Izzo, Girls, Girls, Girls, etc. I think Cole can make singles in that fashion where they'd be hot enough to create that type of anticipation for his albums. I heard the signs for that potential on The Come Up and Friday Night Lights. Maybe I'm too much of a fan and not looking at it neutrally though but I think he's more than capable of it.

Thing is right now I think he's trying/forcing to do those records instead of just letting it happen. Like I see that with a lot of new artists where they think they HAVE to make a pop single (and that's somewhat true) so there's some stress/pressure to do it.
Originally Posted by FlatbushFiyah23

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

That Work Out song isn't something you put on an album Cole. Better switch that over to that summer mixtape
laugh.gif

The way some of yall talking got me thinking Cole just straight up doesn't have it in him to be a star. Whether it just be him or a combination of that and the ppl around him. I don't see him making the type of songs that'll get crazy popular in today's hip hop but he's more than capable to create that hot club banger/memorable dope single to garner attention for his albums and what not.
I don't get what your basing this off of at all and I don't understand why for some people he HAS to be a star.  Everybody doesn't start off as a star but you can grow into a star. I understand it was a different musical climate but  look at Jay when he dropped, he had a critically acclaimed album that didn't go plat but grew into a star.  I would rather grow into stardom than be an overnight success and then forgotten about in a few years because my music/subject matter is stale.  I can see that happening with some hip-hop artists who have recently blow up ie Drake, Wize etc.  Cole can develop as artist but who is to say he HAS to be a star now or "doesn't have it in him to be a star." Quite frankly that logic/assumption is just ridiculous and I have yet to hear any reasonable/logical basis for that statement.
I think that's just based off him and his reactions to these leaked songs. Cole knows if he doesn't have that catchy single to make ppl buy his album there will be no album. That's just the facts of it. I'm not particularly pressed on him becoming a star right now or growing in to one. I'd be more happy if he kept his artistic integrity and had artistic creativity on every song, on every album and when he was satisfied with an album he'd get assurance that it would see the light of day. Unfortunately this aint how it is in the music business.

And in this climate, I can't really say Drake or Wiz automatically became stars. They just found their niche and capitalized off it. Wiz definitely grew in to a star. That's an artists 5+ years in the making. I'd say the same for Drake to a lesser extent. The way Jay grew in to a star has a whole lot of other variables you're not addressing or simply ignoring to make a point but regardless I don't think many artists have that chance to be taking years to "grow" until they become a star. The way the format is now, you build your brand before you get signed, some do it to a point they don't even necessarily need a major contract or a co-sign from a major star already in the game to get on and blow up. Cole got scooped up by Jay and now is basically a project as far as branding and promoting goes. But this that same ol argument 100s of pages back when dudes were talking about Cole being a regular guy that could spit and didn't have the gimmick/theme or that "it" appeal to make it.

All I can say right now Cole is walking on that thin line of making it to where he can live off rap comfortably not being too worried about his album(s)s releasing and being one of those dope rappers that are living semi through the underground going back to the drawing board living off a grass roots movement like Little Brother did or currently Skyzoo or Elzhi.

^^ATGD anything is possible...i thought u were tryin to say it was actually something that he has done musically that had the potential to be that hot club banger/ memorable single....but the songs u gave as an example I can see him doing that as he grows...he just gotta relinquish the reigns to some of the production and be more willing to work with other people...im sure that will come around over time.
Video for Work Out should mirror his favorite rappers classic...i think it will be 
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
...song fits it imo

if you really wanna have ya mind=blown...read thru some of the comments on rapradar.com on the song post...its over 200 and they all over the place

u got ppl sayin return of simba should have been the single and u got ppl actually heated cuz this is "bubble gum pop" and then alot more other isssh...

I think NT reaction is a lot more rational lol

Originally Posted by mjhead23

yea I agree with you...speaking for myself and being a fan of his I actually like the record and im glad he pulled this off...
but just being objective ya know, I know people may not rock with this and it may not attract him any more fans and it may reaffirm to some ppl that he aint "got it" but I hope im wrong
mjhead23... I dont listen to the radio much but Im down south and I know Who Dat wasnt coming out that many speakers down here...college campus computer speakers yes but i mean in the grand scheme of things that song is just a rap song...Work Out is def a complete song that should be given a chance...im just sayin sum ppl gonna disagree 

I'm in Cincinnati the radio is HORRIBLE here so when they played Who Dat I was shocked. But it was in rotation for a min.

they barely ever played "in the morning" here in cincinnati, all they play is gucci....ill make sure to call in "workout" as much as possible

I don't see him making the type of songs that'll get crazy popular in today's hip hop but he's more than capable to create that hot club banger/memorable dope single to garner attention for his albums and what not.
ohwell.gif
...but I do wanna believe what u saying...and it is true in the case of targeting his fanbase
I may have my NYC goggles on but I think he can make a song like Jay-Z's Can I Get A...., Money Aint A Thing, Izzo, Girls, Girls, Girls, etc. I think Cole can make singles in that fashion where they'd be hot enough to create that type of anticipation for his albums. I heard the signs for that potential on The Come Up and Friday Night Lights. Maybe I'm too much of a fan and not looking at it neutrally though but I think he's more than capable of it.

Thing is right now I think he's trying/forcing to do those records instead of just letting it happen. Like I see that with a lot of new artists where they think they HAVE to make a pop single (and that's somewhat true) so there's some stress/pressure to do it.
Originally Posted by FlatbushFiyah23

That Work Out song isn't something you put on an album Cole. Better switch that over to that summer mixtape
laugh.gif

The way some of yall talking got me thinking Cole just straight up doesn't have it in him to be a star. Whether it just be him or a combination of that and the ppl around him. I don't see him making the type of songs that'll get crazy popular in today's hip hop but he's more than capable to create that hot club banger/memorable dope single to garner attention for his albums and what not.
I don't get what your basing this off of at all and I don't understand why for some people he HAS to be a star.  Everybody doesn't start off as a star but you can grow into a star. I understand it was a different musical climate but  look at Jay when he dropped, he had a critically acclaimed album that didn't go plat but grew into a star.  I would rather grow into stardom than be an overnight success and then forgotten about in a few years because my music/subject matter is stale.  I can see that happening with some hip-hop artists who have recently blow up ie Drake, Wize etc.  Cole can develop as artist but who is to say he HAS to be a star now or "doesn't have it in him to be a star." Quite frankly that logic/assumption is just ridiculous and I have yet to hear any reasonable/logical basis for that statement.
I think that's just based off him and his reactions to these leaked songs. Cole knows if he doesn't have that catchy single to make ppl buy his album there will be no album. That's just the facts of it. I'm not particularly pressed on him becoming a star right now or growing in to one. I'd be more happy if he kept his artistic integrity and had artistic creativity on every song, on every album and when he was satisfied with an album he'd get assurance that it would see the light of day. Unfortunately this aint how it is in the music business.

And in this climate, I can't really say Drake or Wiz automatically became stars. They just found their niche and capitalized off it. Wiz definitely grew in to a star. That's an artists 5+ years in the making. I'd say the same for Drake to a lesser extent. The way Jay grew in to a star has a whole lot of other variables you're not addressing or simply ignoring to make a point but regardless I don't think many artists have that chance to be taking years to "grow" until they become a star. The way the format is now, you build your brand before you get signed, some do it to a point they don't even necessarily need a major contract or a co-sign from a major star already in the game to get on and blow up. Cole got scooped up by Jay and now is basically a project as far as branding and promoting goes. But this that same ol argument 100s of pages back when dudes were talking about Cole being a regular guy that could spit and didn't have the gimmick/theme or that "it" appeal to make it.

All I can say right now Cole is walking on that thin line of making it to where he can live off rap comfortably not being too worried about his album(s)s releasing and being one of those dope rappers that are living semi through the underground going back to the drawing board living off a grass roots movement like Little Brother did or currently Skyzoo or Elzhi.

Yo I hear what you are saying and I feel you on your points.  I actually do not disagree.  I just think the jury is out as to whether or not Cole as a project can work.  I do not think that he necessarily has to follow the format that of the way every other artist is now.  I think Cole is building is brand...its just as I said in a few posts earlier music fans especially hip-hop fans are impatient.  They want everything NOW and expect everyone to be an overnight success....even the "fans" themselves do not appreciate the growth of an artist.  I guess I am one of the few who does and has actually enjoyed Cole's growth over the past few years.

I feel what you saying but I think that impatience comes from the fans also being aware that Cole dropping an album isn't a guarantee and at the end of the day we want a consistent output of material from our favorite artists.

Had Cole not been signed and had he not been signed to a label and a guy I'm not all that confident in as far as keeping him around I'd be happy with him releasing mixtapes at his own pace. I would not even be pressing the idea of him getting signed or eventually dropping an album cuz in that situation the ability to grow and build your brand is more in his hands and when he does get signed (with the right label) he's ready to go.

I feel what you saying but I think that impatience comes from the fans also being aware that Cole dropping an album isn't a guarantee and at the end of the day we want a consistent output of material from our favorite artists.

Had Cole not been signed and had he not been signed to a label and a guy I'm not all that confident in as far as keeping him around I'd be happy with him releasing mixtapes at his own pace. I would not even be pressing the idea of him getting signed or eventually dropping an album cuz in that situation the ability to grow and build your brand is more in his hands and when he does get signed (with the right label) he's ready to go.
Just curious why are you not confident about Jay keeping him around?

Been listening to both tracks a lot lately... Work Out is growing on me more & more, very solid track. Lost Ones is just amazing.
laugh.gif
smokin.gif

Too many ppl expecting Cole to have that fast/big success like Drake and Wiz but Cole thinkin about longevity. He could put out mixtapes every 3 months, get big name artist on songs, and feature on other artist songs but why flood everybody with your music? That just creates hype you can't live up to for your solo album(Thank me later, Rolling Papers). Cole's consistency will take him far for a long time watch. Do yall see Drake and Wiz having the same hype and buzz in 4-5yrs that they have now or even close? Personally I think Drake has already reached his peak and Wiz's "weed music" is already getting old yet Cole is consistently rising. Unless Cole's debut is absolute garbage he will be around for a while. Stars come and go and can arise from thin air but legends take time to create and mold because they last forever.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I like Work Out for the single
He even sings for the ladies on it. And I think it'll work

And in regards to past songs of his that could've been singles, shouts out to Good Game smh 
pimp.gif

and it got LYRICS. hot beat. you could flip the hook, running with the sametheme and it be straiiight

but, is lost ones gunna album? Ima changed man after MBDTF. No more leaks man

^yea lost ones is on the album..its not the final version they say more has been added to the production end....I still haven't listened to it tho

Played Work Out followed by How High in da whip....
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom