[:: J. COLE THREAD | DREAMVILLE's ROTD3 ALBUM OUT NOW!! ::]

Cole's debut didn't get lukewarm reception because of a particular sound and whether the style was too far off from his mixtapes.

I think the album got lukewarm reviews because the actual quality of it lacked that impact, polish, or whatever. I'm no audio/music genius but it seemed to lack professional mastering, mixing, and/or other production tricks. Without that, the production sounded unpolished and ultimately got stale quickly.

Power Trip is a good example. I know a lot of people in this thread love it. I think it's a good song. But there's something about the beat that makes it sound unpolished and muddy... maybe the kick drum and how it's mixed... but regardless, it didn't have the staying power for me, and I think that's why.

I believe Cole once said he made his beats on Reason or whatever back in his mixtape days. I'm sure he went into the studio for his album... but it still sounded like stuff he made on his laptop.

Cole might be able to do a mixtape on his own, but for him to reach the masses, he needs more experienced producers other than himself. IMO. More hardcore followers can probably argue against my points, but as a casual fan that's what I think

Last edited:
its pretty amazing that kendrick lamar is bigger than cole.

never did i think that was possible.
Why not? Kendrick is way more artistic than Cole is
Just curious, would you say Drake is more artistic than Kendrick then?
nerd.gif

Just curious, would you say Drake is more artistic than Kendrick then? :nerd: ...

If Drake didn't have the amount of music he has out I would but IMO a lot of Drakes stuff post SFG sounds the same, at the same time who knows how kendrick will sound a couple years from now. But to answer your question no I wouldn't say Drake is more artistic than Kendrick

No one in the game is more artistic than Kendrick right now BTW.

ASAP rocky seemed like he would be until you found out its just a facade.

Just curious, would you say Drake is more artistic than Kendrick then?
nerd.gif
If Drake didn't have the amount of music he has out I would but IMO a lot of Drakes stuff post SFG sounds the same, at the same time who knows how kendrick will sound a couple years from now. But to answer your question no I wouldn't say Drake is more artistic than Kendrick
Then why isn't he bigger than Drake?...

I don't have much time to write much cuz I'm at work but Kendrick and Cole are also similar artist as far as subject matter goes, drake and Kendrick are not so that comparison is a lil different.

Last edited:
Power Trip is a great song, I just don't see it shutting the radio scene down at all. Or putting Cole back in the spotlight. Let's just hope he has more up his sleeve for the days leading up to the album.

Power Trip is a great song, I just don't see it shutting the radio scene down at all. Or putting Cole back in the spotlight. Let's just hope he has more up his sleeve for the days leading up to the album.
I don't see why not. Power trip seems like a really good radio song imo. Honestly , I don't care if he has a hit single on the radio. I just want a better album then his debut .

Power trip will do just fine. I've said it before in this thread. It won't be a top 10 hit or nothing but it will definitely be all over the radio (already is out here in the Bay Area).

Just two weeks it was like #100 on iTunes top songs, now it's at #53.

Same with billboard charts. It was like 90 two weeks ago, now #60 on hot 100... It's only been 5 weeks on the chart, it'll pick up once the video drops as well.

Although we are a lil bit away I think this will get more rotation in the beginning of the summer too

i want that polo (short or long sleeve) but $125 ?!?!?! cant do it.

I feel what cole is saying, but times arent the same as back then, you gotta stay relevant...and hes not an EM, Jay or huge stars that can move how they want and still be relevant...imo, but i aint knockin his reasoning...im already a fan:D

i want that polo (short or long sleeve) but $125 ?!?!?! cant do it.

I feel what cole is saying, but times arent the same as back then, you gotta stay relevant...and hes not an EM, Jay or huge stars that can move how they want and still be relevant...imo, but i aint knockin his reasoning...im already a fan:D

I agree with him not being a Em or Jay but do you see what happens when he releases something? websites freeze :lol:. I think if Cole was more active on social networks he'd die out faster than he would not being on them

I agree with him not being a Em or Jay but do you see what happens when he releases something? websites freeze :lol:. I think if Cole was more active on social networks he'd die out faster than he would not being on them

Agreed...I think a huge misconception in society today is that social media makes everyone more relevant. I think it works for some people in certain industries but I don't necessariiy think it works for artists in music. I for will say I don't care what Cole does every day nor do I think anyone of us needs to know but the way he uses social media to give info about his music and drop songs etc is EXACTLY what the fans need from him. For those that disagree I would ask well what more do you want him to do on social media?

Agreed...I think a huge misconception in society today is that social media makes everyone more relevant. I think it works for some people in certain industries but I don't necessariiy think it works for artists in music. I for will say I don't care what Cole does every day nor do I think anyone of us needs to know but the way he uses social media to give info about his music and drop songs etc is EXACTLY what the fans need from him. For those that disagree I would ask well what more do you want him to do on social media?

Exactly

give us more music +shrugs+

Im only on FB so it makes no difference to me...

I see your point, and they are very valid/right. Could totally see the logic behind this.

However, IMO he could be a much bigger artist if he capitalizes on his potential impact on social media. Do I care about if he's active on social media? **** no. But then again, I think social media has been a detriment to our society, for it allows people to live on the internet, and desensitizes us to actual physical human interaction. Furthermore, social media makes people far more important than they are, and it can kind of create a fictional hierarchy of sorts in regards to that...but whatever.

Back to Cole. As I stated, I don't care about whether or not he's active on social media but there are a lot of fans,and even more potential fans who do. What Cole said in that piece is absolutely right...if this was the 90's. This is a new era. You have to, sooner or later adjust to the times. I'm in the music biz a bit, (or at least trying to get my feet wet) and we discuss this. Fans have a more personal relationship with artist than ever before. If you only tweet, or IG when you are dropping music, it can easily bite you in the *** when you decide to drop something, for it could potentially appear that you only use/care about your fans when you need them I.E. when I decide to drop an album, song, single, etc.

Hopefully it doesn't bite him in the butt when the album drops, but Power Trip isn't selling the way I thought it would, and If the album doesn't move as many units as one may assume, the lack of social media could play a part. In a way, you're taking your fans for granted by only acknowledging them when you need them.

I see your point, and they are very valid/right. Could totally see the logic behind this.

However, IMO he could be a much bigger artist if he capitalizes on his potential impact on social media. Do I care about if he's active on social media? **** no. But then again, I think social media has been a detriment to our society, for it allows people to live on the internet, and desensitizes us to actual physical human interaction. Furthermore, social media makes people far more important than they are, and it can kind of create a fictional hierarchy of sorts in regards to that...but whatever.

Back to Cole. As I stated, I don't care about whether or not he's active on social media but there are a lot of fans,and even more potential fans who do. What Cole said in that piece is absolutely right...if this was the 90's. This is a new era. You have to, sooner or later adjust to the times. I'm in the music biz a bit, (or at least trying to get my feet wet) and we discuss this. Fans have a more personal relationship with artist than ever before. If you only tweet, or IG when you are dropping music, it can easily bite you in the *** when you decide to drop something, for it could potentially appear that you only use/care about your fans when you need them I.E. when I decide to drop an album, song, single, etc.

Hopefully it doesn't bite him in the butt when the album drops, but Power Trip isn't selling the way I thought it would, and If the album doesn't move as many units as one may assume, the lack of social media could play a part. In a way, you're taking your fans for granted by only acknowledging them when you need them.

Great post and I appreciate the respect in your response.

I agree with you 100% regarding the impact of social media on society.

I totally hear your point regarding the fact that fans may view him as just needing them when he drops something. To me its interesting that fans would view it that way but I think people at times have absurd expectations when it comes to artists/celebrities so I can understand that point. I wonder if that thinking is more of an effect of social media being present because I doubt many fans would feel that way if social media wasn't present.

Consider the fact that when there was no social media that artist would do specific things for promotion ONLY when they were dropping and album, single etc. So at that point did the fans feel like the artist was only caring about them when he or she needed them?! Just and interesting question to think about that crossed my mind.

Honestly speaking I truly do not believe that Cole's lack of social media has anything to do with Power Trip not being received well commercially. Personally I just think the song is not that good and was very underwhelming.

Great post and I appreciate the respect in your response.

I agree with you 100% regarding the impact of social media on society.

I totally hear your point regarding the fact that fans may view him as just needing them when he drops something. To me its interesting that fans would view it that way but I think people at times have absurd expectations when it comes to artists/celebrities so I can understand that point. I wonder if that thinking is more of an effect of social media being present because I doubt many fans would feel that way if social media wasn't present.

Consider the fact that when there was no social media that artist would do specific things for promotion ONLY when they were dropping and album, single etc. So at that point did the fans feel like the artist was only caring about them when he or she needed them?! Just and interesting question to think about that crossed my mind.

Honestly speaking I truly do not believe that Cole's lack of social media has anything to do with Power Trip not being received well commercially. Personally I just think the song is not that good and was very underwhelming.

Well, in regards to what I bolded, the thing is that's true. Fans used to be used to that dymanic of "Artist doing specific things for promotion only when they were dropping an album, single, etc." however those were the times then, the times now are far different.

If social media was around back then, it would have played just as much of a pivotal role then as it does now more than likely. One of the first rules in music I think everyone sees is that the consumer has the power. You give them what they want. If all of your fans are on social media, it can only help if you are active on social media too. Maybe not back then because social media wasn't around, but since it is today, virtually no social media interaction w/your fans can easily be pictured as Cole alienating his fans.

We'll agree to disagree on whether Power Trip is good, however, one thing is clear. When Cole was more active on social media, his music and career had a lot more of a stronger buzz to it. He was a bigger artist then. Almost every record he's dropped since the sideline story cycle has went either unheard or didn't receive the notoriety that it could have. And he isn't a Drake, or even a Big Sean at this point,(Popularity wise) and even they are more active on social media than him. You want your fans to have that one on one/family like relationship with you, not the "I'm the artist and you're the fan" relationship.

Last edited:
Just curious....Where are the articles or evidence that Power Trip is underperforming?

When i think of Cole I dont think of chart dominance, so its kinda hard for me to place value on what he is doing position wise but of course it is a factor in relevance

I know the closer he is to top 40, the better it is for the label...and he is almost there w Power Trip... but still were he is on the charts isnt the best indicator of his status in mainstream

I like Power Trip alot...but I also liked Workout(which caught alot of flack) and that went plat.

Well, in regards to what I bolded, the thing is that's true. Fans used to be used to that dymanic of "Artist doing specific things for promotion only when they were dropping an album, single, etc." however those were the times then, the times now are far different.

If social media was around back then, it would have played just as much of a pivotal role then as it does now more than likely. One of the first rules in music I think everyone sees is that the consumer has the power. You give them what they want. If all of your fans are on social media, it can only help if you are active on social media too. Maybe not back then because social media wasn't around, but since it is today, virtually no social media interaction w/your fans can easily be pictured as Cole alienating his fans.

We'll agree to disagree on whether Power Trip is good, however, one thing is clear. When Cole was more active on social media, his music and career had a lot more of a stronger buzz to it. He was a bigger artist then. Almost every record he's dropped since the sideline story cycle has went either unheard or didn't receive the notoriety that it could have. And he isn't a Drake, or even a Big Sean at this point,(Popularity wise) and even they are more active on social media than him. You want your fans to have that one on one/family like relationship with you, not the "I'm the artist and you're the fan" relationship.
'

Yeah I definitely hear your point. I think it says more about us as a society that many equate lack of social media interaction to alienating a fan base. If anything I would think lack of producing music would be considered alienating a fan base. I am a fan and I don't feel alienated because Cole still gives the fan base music and also like the fact he doesn't over-saturate the market with his music.

It's annoying to hear Workout still being played on the radio here in Santa Barbara, when it should be Power Trip.
One station occasionally plays Power Trip, while the other hasn't even once yet but is STILL constantly playing Work Out. :smh:

Almost makes me wanna call the radio station up and question these peoples knowledge on current singles.
Why would you be spinning Work Out when Power Trip is out?
Maybe i dont understand the radio business...but Work Out is played out man, get people on Power Trip now. You should be up to date with artists new stuff... trying to get those new singles some shine.

Come to think of it, i think i am going to place a call to that station. Not to complain, but to request power trip and see if it works.
It's too good of a song to not get spins man...honestly, not just saying it as a J.Cole fan...its a great song.
Much better than Work Out was...even as a radio single, it just sounds so much better.

Back
Top Bottom