[:: J. COLE THREAD | DREAMVILLE's ROTD3 ALBUM OUT NOW!! ::]

He said no one is "RAPPING" on the album except him.

He chose his words carefully. If Kendrick is on the album he probably does a hook.

We'll see if this tracklist is real... :nerd:

Have extremely high expectations for this project, Crooked Smile is :smokin :smokin dude hasn't put out anything I haven't thought was dope since a couple songs on Sideline Story...Born Sinner is gonna be great *CANT WAIT*

Crooked Smile is in iTunes now.
Show your support, lets get that single up high on the charts! :pimp:

And slowly some of the tracks on that "track list" are being confirmed but the whole thing hasn't yet, waiting on official word...

Fauntleroy retweeted someone saying he'd be on the title track. Tracklist gaining validity.

Kendrick will be speaking on the track. No rapping, not clear on the hook situation. But so far all we know is that Kendrick will just monologue a bit.

Last edited:
And thats all she wrote

As said before, Kendrick will be speaking/monologuing or on the hook. No rapping.

Last edited:
Mixed emotions about some of these track titles...

But ima trust Cole and keep faith that the content will deliver.

And I have a feeling the people sleeping on the 50 feature will probably eat their words...I doubt Cole puts a wack 50 verse on the album.

As the tracklist has finally been revealed, I finally get to share this information.

A few weeks ago, J. Cole hit the UK for a few interviews and more importantly, play his sophomore solo album Born Sinner to a select group of press, DJs, friends and influencers and I was lucky enough to have been invited to the listening session.

Sitting in the Dean Street studios in London’s center, Jermaine sat down, asked everybody in the room their names and thanked them individually for coming to listen to the LP before pulled out his iPhone to play us almost the entire album.
The entire album was produced by Cole (minus a couple of interludes) and he began working on the LP a week after the release of his debut LP Cole World: A Sideline Story as he felt unfulfilled in a sense by the debut release, despite it topping the Billboard charts and selling a lot more than his label predicted.

Born Sinner is split into two sections “Horns” and “Halo” or “Dark” and “Light” and J. Cole describes the LP as his “Escape from depression into happiness” Before rolling out the tracks…

1. “Villuminati” (The Intro Track)…
“Sometimes I brag like Hov…”
Beginning with a sample that comparable to an old cotton field chant before opening into a bass heavy trunk rattler of a track that samples The Notorious B.I.G‘s “Born sinner, the opposite of a winner” line from “Juicy”, leading into a five minute long verse highlighting the contradictions in humanity and society.
He also confronts illuminati theories and utters lines like “Please give me back my soul” in relation to what seemingly needs to be done in the industry to get ahead. The track has a myriad of transitions and Cole lets the beat breath at the end following a female voice hauntingly singing “I ain’t never letting go, I ain’t never letting you go again”.
With controversial lines like “It took a black president to tell the Japanese sorry” Cole isn’t afraid to ruffle feathers.

2. Kerney Sermon (Skit)

3. “LAnd Of The Snakes”
Following the skit which sounds like an infomercial from a money hungry church pastor, Jermaine unveiled the second track on the LP which was recorded in L.A as a result of Cole deciding he wanted to live in the City Of Angels, so he moved into a three bedroom house with about 12 of his people (keeping it classy but bringing the hood along too), but despite the upside of living in ‘Hollywood’, there was a dark side to it which inspired this cautionary tale (which I think samples “Da Art Of Storytelling (Part 1)” by Outkast) about the trappings, dangers and distractions of the City Of Angels (hence the capitalised L and A in the title) .

4. “Power Trip”

5. “Mo Money” (interlude)
A short verse which sees Cole breaking down the love, hunger and trappings of wealth and the pursuit of riches, utilising the word money in repetition during the verses to punctuate the message of the track.

6. “Trouble”
“The theme song of the “Horns” section of Born Sinner.” – J. Cole

7. “Run Away”
“Could I runaway from 50 mil like Dave Chappelle”
This track was described by J. Cole as one of his favourites on the album

8. “She Know” (f/ Amber Coffman)
This one is set to be the third single from the LP and features The Dirty Projectors singer Amber Coffman.

9. “Rich N***az”
Jermaine only played us about 10 seconds of this at the listening session, it opened up with a middle eastern intro before dropping into a club ready beat, but was swiftly cut off. so I’m just going to have to wait like everyone to hear what this sounds like.

10. Where’s Jermaine (Skit)

11. “Forbidden Fruit” (f/ Kendrick Lamar)
This one is one of my favourite tracks on the album and kind of plays on the Adam and Eve story from the book of Genesis in the Bible.
Jermaine wasn’t lying when he said there were no rap verses on the LP as Kendrick Lamar doesn’t lay down a 16 bar, but the track cleverly weaves between Cole’s vocals and Kendrick’s before letting Lamar take on the chorus duties.
This one must have been recorded quite recently as there is a line that goes “Imma drop the album same day as Kanye” in reference to moving his album release date to the same day as Kanye West’s Yeezus LP.

12. “Chaining Day”
Over an almost royal and more positive soundbed than we have heard so far on the album, J. Cole tackles the thirst for riches and wealth which in some, including himself manifest in the purchase of jewellery which in some cases the pieces so-called rich black folk would nearly kill to purchase is the “same **** a rich white man would laugh at”. The track ends on Cole declaring “this is the last time I buy Jewellery”… or is it?

13. Ain’t That Some Sh*t (Interlude)

14. “Crooked Smile” (f/ TLC)
The second single from the album. Speaking on the track, Jermaine said the song was about “not only disussing our imperfections, but embracing them.
Taking away the power from others that would try to use them to hurt us” and the song is the theme song of the lighter ‘Halo’ section of the Born Sinner LP.

15. “Let Nas Down”
One of the most important tracks on the album. There is a long intro story to go with this, which Jermaine broke down in detail, but in a nutshell following the release of the “Work Out”, which despite dominating radio and going double platinum received the worst feedback Cole had ever faced in his career. Well one day J. Cole received a call from one of his idols and production mentor, No I.D. who informed him that he had a conversation with Nas (who is Cole’s favourite rapper) and Nasir wasn’t happy about the single saying “Why did he do that? Cole is the one. He didn’t need to make that record, he shouldn’t have done it”. That statement cut like a knife with cole, but it gave him the fuel to write the track and this one definitly is the highlight of the LP.

16. Born Sinner (Feat. Fauntleroy)
We didn’t get to hear this one. But hey we already gave you too much.

Deluxe:

17. Miss America
18. New York Times (Feat. 50 Cent & Bas)
19. Is She Gon Pop
20. N***az Know

http://www.soulculture.co.uk/music-...ner-album-tracklist-x-track-by-track-preview/

I started reading that summary and got to the 3rd track and quit.

I just want to be surprised w no expectations so imma chill. He did alot to be very secretive this whole time so imma just ride the wave and catch the album in its entirety when it's available.

I wonder if he had a different plan for releasing the tracklist. Can't really read into his tweet but it didn't seem that enthused too me... More like a, "whatever, here it is."

I'll give the 50 track a chance
Not going to lie that "We Up" track 50 has with K.Dot is a banger tho

Really, really excited for this album. I feel that this album will be just as good as Kanye's or close. May be too many tracks though ...

Born Sinner. One time live stream at the above locations. 8PM EST. Charge your phones, bring headphones and be on time or you will miss the full experience.

Download the Lisnr App to your iOS/Android device, find your listening location and be the first to hear Born Sinner. Thursday June 6th @8PM EST/ 7PM CT / 5PM PST.

The album will be played front to back ONE TIME starting at 8PM.

nyc is at 47th b/w 8th and 7th

I am not someone to read too much into a tracklist as I judge the music for what it is. I will say I like that there are no rap features on the album and just on the bonus tracks but I do not like that there are 4 skits. Skits generally don't work for me in hip-hop albums and I almost never play them (exceptions being GKMC & Lauryn's solo studio album). I hope the skits are good and fit in the flow/theme of the album...that is my only concern regarding the tracklist.

Back
Top Bottom