[:: J. COLE THREAD | DREAMVILLE's ROTD3 ALBUM OUT NOW!! ::]

Jesus iI cant believe you diehards dont like this album, I actually like it. he had mr.nicewatch on his debut that was trash, im a j cole hater so I can care less but this album is decent better than his debut imo. I just don't like his regular joe story, like I have sex with girls is dudes only vice, he dont do anything else, I feel like im listening to a loner, like where ie his crew I feel like dude is just by himself in the game no team. even his girls raps arent convincing. plan and simple his subject matter is trash. lmao at letting nas down, son did oochie wally and owe me with 3years of eachothe. cherry wine is probably is best single towards women n he was 20 deep to make that.

and lets be serious about KL and GKMC dude was destined to make a classic, from KL ep OD Sec80 dude was 3for3 classics real KL fans knew he had a classic we just didnt know he was gonna go all cinematic and blow fools ears away. jcole aint got that ride on the beat like kdot

I feel what J Cole is saying though...like all the verses on runaway I can relate to more so than anything I heard on Kendrick's album

Kendrick's voice can get annoying at times. I've never said that about an MC who is suppose to be top tier. I'm suppose to always feel the voice...
ohwell.gif

I feel what J Cole is saying though...like all the verses on runaway I can relate to more so than anything I heard on Kendrick's album

Kendrick's voice can get annoying at times. I've never said that about an MC who is suppose to be top tier. I'm suppose to always feel the voice...
ohwell.gif

Big sounds congested a lot to me and Hov's voice isn't that great either tbh :lol:

But damn, a lot of y'all have BS as his worst yet :smh: :lol: I still think dude sells a fir amount more week 1 than CW:SLS did, maybe even approaching GKMC numbers week 1 if things fall into place right. From what I'm hearing Yeezus is really gonna either be :wow: :wow: or absolutely unlistenable for people, but I still think Ye will get the number 1 spot simply out of starpower and his track record, but the gap might not be all that big. Hope we all still support Jermaine though :smokin

Just gave Born Sinner a listen. Like it more than SLS. Need to give it a few more spins though.

Dollar & a Dream tour starts today in Miami. Anyone up here going/plan to go if they can find the venue? I plan to go tomorrow night here in Atlanta.

Question to everybody who rocks with this album. If you like the album that's cool, music is some of the most subjective art that's available. If your one of those who really enjoy the album, my question is, is this the type of album you were expecting from J. Cole ? Like I understand wanting to progress, and him being in that dark space he spoke of, but this is in the complete opposite direction that he was going in. And he didn't gradually do it. He just went from 4 projects sounding one way, and then the next album is a sound that takes a major turn. Out of 4 previous projects he has not one project that sounds anything like this. Especially with power trip as the lead single I really thought it would be more of that, more in the morning, More nobody's perfect, Lights Please, more records with some bounce to them rather than so much of Trouble, LAnd of the snakes and villuminati type of records.

Last edited:
Sucks bro.
Like I wanna defend the album.
Every part of me wants to say NAH MAN YOU GUYS ARE WRONG, BACK OFF, THIS IS THAT HOT FIRE RIGHT HERE...
But i cant.

I wanna say STOP HATING...
But i cant.

I fully understand why people dont like this now.
What boggles my mind is how so many non-cole fans love it. Like absolutely love it. On twitter, on blogs. This thing is BUZZING RIGHT NOW.
But us cole fans...the ones whove been with him since 09 or even earlier.
Most of us are underwhelmed...majorly.

I think we just know deep down inside, that he could do a lot better.
A LOT better. :\

You cant make catchy *** songs like BLOW UP and HIGHER and LIGHTS PLEASE and BEFORE IM GONE, and then give us the dull songs that are going to be forgotten within a couple weeks that he did here.

If more songs were like LET NAS DOWN, and actually had some passionate, hungry, story telling... it would be a classic cole album.
The story telling is what got a lot of us to be fans.
We fell in love with cole because he was expressing his struggles and we all related.

He's not expressing much of a story outside a couple songs on this album.
Hes trying hard to spit bars that are OKAY, but nothing mind blowing...and they are on subpar beats.

So its underwhelming to us who know his whole catalog. He has made much better songs. Much more catchy, more timeless, more overall good music.

SMH speak for yourself. Ive been down with Cole since The Come up/Warm Up. And this album ***** on debut. EASY. Sideline Story was a disappointment and even Cole knows it. Work Out was a weak cookie cutter run of the mill single and Cole and Nas know it. Play this in the whip the beats are phenomenal. You can't honestly tell me this isnt his best work production wise. Dope concepts with Runaway, Let Nas Down, Mo Money and Forbidden Fruit (should have had a K.Dot verse). I diggin the religious themes and the inner struggle with doing right and wrong. The contradictions. The album is kinda brilliant. It just kinda loses steam towards the end.

By the 18th I prolly will officially say this is a better ALBUM than CW:TSS.

It seems like a lot of y'all are listening to this album to critique and compare and not to be entertained as a fan, which is unfortunate.

As a long time fan of his(since 09), I'm glad to see him not allowing himself to be boxed in. He made a great album with no skippable tracks that is wide ranging in appeal. The more I listen the more I find it odd that a good bit of ppl on NT don't like the music on here. This album is filled with stuff that I don't hear no other rapper doing right now, from song format to lyrics. Yet ppl are criticizing from both sides saying erything sounds the same and boring and then others are hollain bout nutin sounds like his old stuff...

Like what's wack on here? Like what's boring? All I'm hearing is great melodies and dope production that sounds fresh but it appears I'm in the minority.

Every single from the album is/will be better than CW singles(and I liked all CW singles). No left over 2-3 yr old tracks. No Nice Watch, No Cole World. "Rise and Shine" and "Breakdown" were the only type of records that he coulda held on too and recreated if he wanted. Every other sound from CW I am actually content with him not bringing back. And I really liked CW a lot. I think that was his best project up til now.

Ppl have been calling Cole boring since The Warm Up and for him to put out Born Sinner and it sound nothing like his previous work but still be labeled boring... I mean I don't get it. I understand a lot of hardcore fans wanted Cole to pull a Kendrick but he didn't, but y'all acting like this is unacceptable album and I can't see how that is remotely close to being true.

c/s

People don't listen to new **** with an open mind it seems. Everyone tries to box rappers and put expectations on them like their A&Rs on some ****. Just sit back put it in the whip and just press play. Cole seems to be in his comfort zone I mean he is bringing new flows and sounds like he is having fun.

Question to everybody who rocks with this album. If you like the album that's cool, music is some of the most subjective art that's available. If your one of those who really enjoy the album, my question is, is this the type of album you were expecting from J. Cole ? Like I understand wanting to progress, and him being in that dark space he spoke of, but this is in the complete opposite direction that he was going in. And he didn't gradually do it. He just went from 4 projects sounding one way, and then the next album is a sound that takes a major turn. Out of 4 previous projects he has not one project that sounds anything like this. Especially with power trip as the lead single I really thought it would be more of that, more in the morning, More nobody's perfect, Lights Please, more records with some bounce to them rather than so much of Trouble, LAnd of the snakes and villuminati type of records.

I love the album and I think this is his best project yet. In fact I think he gets better with each project he releases. But to answer your question this is not what I expected cuz I stopped expecting things and I am pleasantly surprised to say the least. I love the fact that this sounds nothing like his previous work. Sideline Story was a dope album but the old songs and production from that album is what puts Born Sinner ahead so easily. Its nothing skippable on this album to me... I am not saying every song is flawless but in this thread alone and other spots on the net ive seen ppl call songs and sections of the album as their fav and other ppl have the complete opposite being theirs.

I know some of yall watched the Harvard vid and misinterpreted what he said and or u may just be going off his work in the past and the feeling that you wanted him to rival(or more like lowkey copy) GKMC, so i know thats where some yall disappointment comes from, yall dont even have to front... yall had it in your mind that he was gon be on some either extra heavy social commentary type steez , mixed with blacking out just for the sake of rhyming just so yall could say he is the same caliber or better of rapper as Kendrick(which I already agree). But he did none of that and he didnt have to do none of that... he made this album for him and the joint came out dope as hell. Like this is a grown man album to me. Kendrick point of view was at 16-17, Cole's is at 26-27 with a mill in the bank and the freedom to do whatever he wants now. He kept it real but instead of telling stories about other ppl he made it legit about himself and thats what I really like about the album...especially on the heels of the Truly Yours series which heavy geared toward other ppl's situations.

I love the album and I think this is his best project yet. In fact I think he gets better with each project he releases. But to answer your question this is not what I expected cuz I stopped expecting things and I am pleasantly surprised to say the least. I love the fact that this sounds nothing like his previous work. Sideline Story was a dope album but the old songs and production from that album is what puts Born Sinner ahead so easily. Its nothing skippable on this album to me... I am not saying every song is flawless but in this thread alone and other spots on the net ive seen ppl call songs and sections of the album as their fav and other ppl have the complete opposite being theirs.

I know some of yall watched the Harvard vid and misinterpreted what he said and or u may just be going off his work in the past and the feeling that you wanted him to rival(or more like lowkey copy) GKMC, so i know thats where some yall disappointment comes from, yall dont even have to front... yall had it in your mind that he was gon be on some either extra heavy social commentary type steez , mixed with blacking out just for the sake of rhyming just so yall could say he is the same caliber or better of rapper as Kendrick(which I already agree). But he did none of that and he didnt have to do none of that... he made this album for him and the joint came out dope as hell. Like this is a grown man album to me. Kendrick point of view was at 16-17, Cole's is at 26-27 with a mill in the bank and the freedom to do whatever he wants now. He kept it real but instead of telling stories about other ppl he made it legit about himself and thats what I really like about the album...especially on the heels of the Truly Yours series which heavy geared toward other ppl's situations.
Fair enough. As I stated, it's all subjective. Personally, I can't say it's his best project because I enjoy more colorful production with melodies and better hooks mixed with some great rapping. That's what Cole came up doing on The Warm Up, FNL, and CW:SS. Even the truly yours and the any given sunday series. I wonder what made him feel like all of a sudden I wanna make an album where the focus is to rap, rap and rap some more. As far as Kendrick, I just think it's obvious that after listening to BS, GKMC was a big influence on it. That's one of the reasons the two have been compared so much. And BS isn't close really to GKMC imo. And I would disagree , I feel like outside of She Knows, Rich N***az, Power Trip, Let Nas Down, Crooked Smile, and Born Sinner, I have no desire to listen to anything else and the rest of the album is definitely skip worthy. 

And my disappointment imo comes from that. I wanted more of his previous work, More Power Trip. I feel he's too talented of an artist to make an album where he's just rapping. And touching on the same concepts over and over at that. The whole, I cheated on my girl and the struggles of fame for a whole album is cool if you make it a pleasing listening experience with hooks and better melodies, better songs. But personally I don't wanna hear you just, rap about that repeatedly. Don't know if this is his best or worst project, but I will say I definitely enjoy listening to every other project he's dropped a lot more than Born Sinner. I do like though, that people are listening and forming their own opinion rather than taking others.

Wow... I am not really feeling like this at all... :smh:

I'm listening to the Mac Miller album over this... and 2 years ago I made so much of my friend for liking Mac and hated on Mac... :smh:

And I've been down with Cole since The Warm Up dropped.... wow... it sounds like a weak attempt at a mixtape.

Really Cole, you chose to drop this the same day as Yeezus? :smh:

@2UCM92 See how you just named six songs that you rocked with and said everything else is skip worthy right? Thats the other half of the album when you dont count the skits and interludes.

I just want to point out that you are saying that "Villuminati" is weak, which imo has one of the best beats and most energetic flows on the album. You are also saying that Runaway is weak, which imo is one of the most relatable and well written songs on the album. along with Chaining Day which is heavy in substance.(Am I in the minority on these 3?)

After that, there is LAnd of the Snakes, Trouble and Forbidden Fruit. The two with the old popular samples I can see ppl not liking because he didnt really do anything to the beat or they feel some type of way about him sampling Outkast n Tribe. So yea I can understand those may be weak to ppl... but in my case I dont care about that and I see them as just 2 fun records(w bounce actually), one has some story telling and one has some dope wordplay, and both have dope hooks imo.

Trouble...Lyrically not much on Trouble but both this and the Chaining Day cuts are some of the best and surprising production Cole has kicked out in my opinion. From the choir on Trouble to the melodies on Chaining Day that gets stuck in your head "I need you to luuuv me, luuuv me, luuuv me"

But as you said this is all subjective, and this may be some of the most annoying or bland material that some of you all have heard from Cole.... I mean my top Cole songs are enchanted, losing my balance, and rise and shine.... and nothing on this album sounds like any of them, yet I am far from disappointed.

all these long *** replys in this thread probably mean that Born Sinner was not as expected :smh:

@2UCM92 See how you just named six songs that you rocked with and said everything else is skip worthy right? Thats the other half of the album when you dont count the skits and interludes.

I just want to point out that you are saying that "Villuminati" is weak, which imo has one of the best beats and most energetic flows on the album. You are also saying that Runaway is weak, which imo is one of the most relatable and well written songs on the album. along with Chaining Day which is heavy in substance.(Am I in the minority on these 3?)

After that, there is LAnd of the Snakes, Trouble and Forbidden Fruit. The two with the old popular samples I can see ppl not liking because he didnt really do anything to the beat or they feel some type of way about him sampling Outkast n Tribe. So yea I can understand those may be weak to ppl... but in my case I dont care about that and I see them as just 2 fun records(w bounce actually), one has some story telling and one has some dope wordplay, and both have dope hooks imo.

Trouble...Lyrically not much on Trouble but both this and the Chaining Day cuts are some of the best and surprising production Cole has kicked out in my opinion. From the choir on Trouble to the melodies on Chaining Day that gets stuck in your head "I need you to luuuv me, luuuv me, luuuv me"

But as you said this is all subjective, and this may be some of the most annoying or bland material that some of you all have heard from Cole.... I mean my top Cole songs are enchanted, losing my balance, and rise and shine.... and nothing on this album sounds like any of them, yet I am far from disappointed.
I mean, yeah those were the six songs I said I rock with, but like for example. I named She Knows, and to me that isn't better than Work Out, Lights please, In The Morning, Nobody's Perfect, like I don't feel that's better than most of CW:SS. Get me ? But Yes, that's what im saying. If Villuminati is one of the best beats and most energetic flows then this album just isn't for me. The production on that is just alright imo, and that's one of the best beats on the album so that's saying something and it sounds like he's just rapping for a really long time on it saying the same stuff he's always said at that. But, Villuminati isn't weak. i'm not saying that. It just boring imo I have no desire to play it again. And Runaway isn't weak either, im just not a fan of it. Production wise, it sounds like villuminati and the hook leaves a lot to be desired. Imo.

After that, We're just gonna have to agree to disagree with LAnd of the snakes, Trouble, and forbidden fruit. Those 3 records are so far from album quality, especially when you compare them to the music he's produced from the majority of his catalog, imo those would have a hard time making FNL and The Warm up. Chaining day was such a huge let down too. That live performance of it had me hyped for the album. The production on that is so bland imo but that I need you to love me part is pretty cool.

For me, I've never even once thought cole was boring or bland until born sinner. I've always thought it was completely bogus. All of his previous work was the exact opposite of that imo. The records you mentioned, Enchanted, Losing My Balance, Rise and Shine, I think Cole is at his best right with stuff like that. Proven by the fact that he got to this point making making records that sound like the aforementioned and not records like LAnd of the snakes and trouble. Imo if he would of came out the box making projects like Born Sinner he would be no where near where he's at now. Not using someone's success to validate how good the music is, just saying that to back that that's where Cole is best at.

Nope, besides the 2 singles, Villuminati & Chaining Day are my favorites.

Album is still weak though to me
Really Cole, you chose to drop this the same day as Yeezus? :smh:

Same thing I said, this is what had most of us thinking it would be better than it was :smh:

second listen wow... TROUBLE :x :x

she knows :x :x :x

i like forbidden fruit too but why kendrick aint get a verse? thats his type of beat he woulda killed it.

Back
Top Bottom