[:: J. COLE THREAD | DREAMVILLE's ROTD3 ALBUM OUT NOW!! ::]

Let me start my post off with saying I've been a J. Cole fan since I stumbled across "Lights Please" in summer of 2009 and decided to download The Warm Up. In 2010, 4 days before Friday Night Lights released, I got to see him perform in my hometown, in front of a crowd of maybe 300. Venue wasn't even half full, and it was a small venue to begin with. Probably still one of my favorite shows I've seen. So needless to say, I'm a Cole fan, and am more than happy to see where his career has come.

With that being said. I LOVE 2014 FHD. After listening for a little more than a week, I absolutely love it. If anything, it shows that Cole is the exact same person as he was when he released The Warm Up, dude has not changed one bit. And this is definitely the closest to mixtape Cole start to finish we have gotten. He made this for his fans who have been there since day 1. The production is in my opinion fantastic, the lyrics are strong, there are times when they can be pretty weak, but over all the production, hook, melody, etc makes up for it.

This album really came outta no where, and to be honest, I haven't really been checking for Cole lately, but he surpassed my expectations.

I know not everyone agrees, but this is easily > Born Sinner to me.

Oh and that David Letterman performance :wow: Simply amazing.

3 and a half years ago, Cole couldn't get his first single out, after trying how many different songs, now he's releasing an album like FHD and projected to sell 300,000? Dude has come a long way :smokin

Last edited:
Does anyone know what samples cole was talking about not clearing in the outro?
nerd.gif
He said it does clear. "Thank you to whoever in Japan just cleared that"

And it's most like January 28 since it samples a Japanese song.

Crazy that this probably happened in Sept/October and the album dropped in early December. Dude really put in work to drop the album in 2014.

There's a sample he couldn't get cleared because when he says the name it's mixed to sound edited so we can't hear who it is

There's a sample he couldn't get cleared because when he says the name it's mixed to sound edited so we can't hear who it is

Does anyone know what samples cole was talking about not clearing in the outro? :nerd:

According to Boxden, someone reversed the mix part of the track and u can hear him say The Doors, so they wouldn't let Cole use the sample

that's another thing people forget, when good songs don't make albums, especially in Cole's case because he samples a lot (I think that's what happened with Kenny Lofton and others), its because the samples didn't clear

so most likely we'll hear those tracks on Truly Yours 4. Those copyright laws are no joke tho

Does anyone know what samples cole was talking about not clearing in the outro? :nerd:

According to Boxden, someone reversed the mix part of the track and u can hear him say The Doors, so they wouldn't let Cole use the sample

that's another thing people forget, when good songs don't make albums, especially in Cole's case because he samples a lot (I think that's what happened with Kenny Lofton and others), its because the samples didn't clear

so most likely we'll hear those tracks on Truly Yours 4. Those copyright laws are no joke tho

That's so wack man

it
That's so wack man

it's a damb shame, could you imagine the album with January 28th :x :smh: and that would have happened if the sample didn't clear.
I feel like thats what happened with the beat in the promo vid for Born Sinner too.

people also forget that mixtapes are free so you don't have to clear samples, but when you want to profit off a song with a sample you have to get permission

Just watched all of the Angie Martinez interview...

My man Cole speaking for the people :smokin

I watched the whole thing and enjoyed it, and really found what he was saying to be pretty spot on.

Definitely got a new respect for him after this Angie interview.

This is what hip hop is supposed to be.

The interview of JCole and Angie It's the same thing Kanye has been preaching all year, its the same thing Kendrick Lamar raps about. It's what Lupe brings up from time to time, it what Talib and Mos Def been feeding us, it's what hip hop needs. Been messing with j Cole before his 2 debut albums. I wasn't feeling either of those 2 albums. I'm glad he went back to his old self. 

Nothing matters.

Clothes, jewlery all of that. None of that matters. We are slaves. We don't need the new Jordans, we dont need to buy Margiela's and Balenciagas, balamin jeans, givenchy shirts etc.

I try to preach this to the youth whenever I can. I tell my younger cousins, and try to reach one at least.

Meek Mill, Rick Ross, etc. all they rap about is being rich and violence. This is part of the reason why this cycle won't end. Just imagine if every hip hop song was coming from nas, jcole, kdot etc. This will change alot. But "THEY" won't let it happen. Making it rain in strip clubs. Throw that money towards a business and help build within your community. We don't need these "OTHER" people opening up stores, restaurants, etc. in our neighborhood. We gotta build. 

J Cole was so spot on with the whole Jazz part as well. 

- Peace.

Hip hop would be boring if everything came out sounding like a Nas tracks. It's not balanced but it's the generation we are living in.

Hip hop would be boring if everything came out sounding like a Nas tracks. It's not balanced but it's the generation we are living in.
Boring is good. Our life isn't a party like these rappers try to make it seem like. That's the life they live until they are irrelevant and owe the IRS money and have to go back to their old lifestyle. Not everything needs to be about violence, jewelry, cars, mansions and money. It's crazy how people be in the clubs rapping these lyrics like they actually live the lifestyle. They start to believe it because they got on some $500 dollar designer shoes on and bout the cheapest bottle on the VIP menu thinking they are doing it. Their are plenty of other things to rap about and those common subjects are not necessary in today's world with the way it is in our communities and in most of our minds. You can still have trap beats and turn up. I'm not saying all rappers have to be lyrical and conscious, but the topics that are being rapped about and put out is what is killing our communities. 

Growing up I use to always hear people say "rap influences the youth, rap is the reason why our kids are growing up to be gang bangers, drug dealers etc." I thought that was silly. But as I got older I started to realize, it really does.

Once Trinidad James came out with the molly song, I seen so many people try molly.

Just my opinion. 

Boring is good. Our life isn't a party like these rappers try to make it seem like. That's the life they live until they are irrelevant and owe the IRS money and have to go back to their old lifestyle. Not everything needs to be about violence, jewelry, cars, mansions and money. It's crazy how people be in the clubs rapping these lyrics like they actually live the lifestyle. They start to believe it because they got on some $500 dollar designer shoes on and bout the cheapest bottle on the VIP menu thinking they are doing it. Their are plenty of other things to rap about and those common subjects are not necessary in today's world with the way it is in our communities and in most of our minds. You can still have trap beats and turn up. I'm not saying all rappers have to be lyrical and conscious, but the topics that are being rapped about and put out is what is killing our communities. 

Growing up I use to always hear people say "rap influences the youth, rap is the reason why our kids are growing up to be gang bangers, drug dealers etc." I thought that was silly. But as I got older I started to realize, it really does.

Once Trinidad James came out with the molly song, I seen so many people try molly.

Just my opinion. 
That's more of parenting than rap music.I like club bangers as much as the next guy and summer jams. But can understand how the artist words can go to effect someone. Shoot I already posted what I thought to be "classic" albums. I just can't sit around and listen to them everyday. Some days I just want to listen to ignorance ****

Eminem and Action Bronson talk about wild things I'll never do. Just comes down to how open your mind is and what influence you/that person.

Cole locked into something with this album, he got into the soul of those real hip hop heads, the album is not single driven.
Its more of a industry wake up call too much of this hip hop nonsense, so much wack rappers that have suddenly become accepted.
This album reinstated my faith like look hold on hip hop ain't dead soul is still out there just search for it, it will come to the surface eventually.
I bought 2 copies one for me and one for my girl lol this album is just that real
solid 9/10 tale of 2 citiez is my **** :smokin

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom