Jamaican government talks legalization of marijuana

not that it wasn't pretty much legal already but yea
pimp.gif

ASSOCIATED PRESS

9:38 a.m. March 1, 2008

KINGSTON, Jamaica - Jamaica is considering the legalization of marijuana, a drug revered by members of the island's large Rastafarian population who say smoking it is part of their religion.
A seven-member government commission has been researching possible changes to the Caribbean nation's anti-drug laws, which some police complain are clogging courts and jails with marijuana-related cases, a government official said Friday.

"We have discussed it, and we are preparing a report to present to the prime minister," said Deputy Prime Minister Kenneth Baugh.
In 2003, a government commission recommended legalizing marijuana in small amounts for personal use. But lawmakers never acted, saying legalization might entail loss of their country's U.S. anti-drug certification. Countries that lose it face economic sanctions.

A U.S. State Department report Friday said that Jamaica is the largest producer of marijuana in the Caribbean and a major hub for drugs bound for the United States.

Members of the Rastafarian movement, which emerged in Jamaica in the 1930s out of anger over the oppression of blacks, have long lobbied for the legalization of the drug that they say brings them closer to the divine.

There are an estimated 700,000 Rastafarians in the world, most of them among Jamaica's 2.6 million people.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/world/20080301-0938-jamaica-marijuana.html

I'm going back this Summer ASAP.

Regardless of what the legal standing is, I'm getting some potent
pimp.gif
from my uncle 'dem. Good times.

Well, they've contemplated this before as a way to get police services out of the red and please the large Rasta population.

However they didn't for fear of upsetting the US and gaining worldwide infamy.

Hmmm.... Although I am a rastafarian and believe in the legalization of it and would be happy for it, Jamaica does not need to focus on this right now, themost important thing is focusing on the violence in the country and preventing it. I was just in J.A last week for a funeral, I hate that having to be myreason to go out there.

But anyways..

well looks like I'm going to Jamaica

lol jp, I dont smoke any more, I stopped like 3 yrs ago, but I actually lit one up in December for tha first time since I stopped and I was ###*+% UP!

It's not Jamaicas fault for marijuanas being smuggled inside the U.S.

See how much power the U.S. has?...Sanctions?...The U.S. wants everyone to be like them.

Originally Posted by Jiggaman414

lol jp, I dont smoke any more, I stopped like 3 yrs ago, but I actually lit one up in December for tha first time since I stopped and I was %+#**@ UP!

thats how you enjoy the herb take a nice long break then light it up MON
pimp.gif

Basically it was pretty much legal in JAMAICA already every1 smoke down there from citizens to some to the damn cops, it prob will happen concerning the hugepopulation of Rastafarian..I know 1 of my friends who will LOVE that if they did that in the U.S.A LMAO
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 200nikesdeep

Originally Posted by Jiggaman414

lol jp, I dont smoke any more, I stopped like 3 yrs ago, but I actually lit one up in December for tha first time since I stopped and I was %+#**@ UP!

thats how you enjoy the herb take a nice long break then light it up MON
pimp.gif

word. it was like my first time all over again, I was hearin voices and $$#$

I'm actually doing a speech on this on Monday. It should be legal here in the United States as well because of all the money that drug interdiction isgiven, yet drug abuse is not really curbing. I don't smoke, but maybe this will make the US reconsider their position on the subject.

Not like it was not legal already.
Majority of the law smoke it. It would make it a nice tourist spot if they legalize it, look like they will.
Beats the expensive tickets to Amsterdam.
grin.gif

isnt all-ready?
laugh.gif

they could be th first country to go Hemp produts, and profit off all its resourceful purposes
pimp.gif

Go small AXE!!!

It sure would make that a heeeeavy tourist spot lol.....

In a way it already is cause of the weed ^ last summer when I was there this tourist from Russia (I think) was there, loved the atmosphere and smokin ganja inthe open and how good it is. She said she'd be back! and she meant it, 2 months later she dropped everything she had where she lived and opened up a typeof bed and breakfast outside of Montego Bay.

^ thats pretty awesome, forsee this happening and i forsee alot of people moving there (hippies, HS burnouts,weed heads globaly)......but for me, Hurricanes =visiting only

But if JA taxs it, they could see alot of thing happen... If the poloticians are pure in heart

I bet we would see other countries legalizing, ( Mexico, Canada)?

Seriously though, is this really going to change anything? Everyone does it already over there.
I was there in 2005 and people were trying to sell me it by the gallon.

Back
Top Bottom