Jason Whitlock says "Less Tattoos = Better Ratings"...

As much as all of you and I don't care, I bet much of the older NBA viewers (i.e. the ones buying the season tickets and purchasing all the merchandise) do. So this guy may be correct. I bet the NBA WOULD appeal to more people if the players weren't tattooed and were friendlier. Not saying the NBA should implement any sort of tattoo rule, but this guy has a point.

I totally fail to see that point...first off, where are the statistics of the NBA's declining popularity? Also, look at the jersey sales (you mentionedmerchandise purchases) from 06-07.

1. Kobe = tattoos, questionable character
2. Dwayne Wade
3. LeBron James = Tattoos
4. Allen Iverson = Tattoos, questionable character
5. Steve Nash
6. Carmelo Anthony = tattoos, questionable character
7. Stephon Marbury = tattoos, questionable character
8. Dirk
9. Gilbert Arenas = Tattoos
10. Vince Carter

Since Whitlock is generalizing, I'll do the same...go to ANY NBA arena, and you will see fans of all ages, races, etc rocking various jerseys. The body inkand decisions these guys make off the court seem to hardly matter in the grand scheme of things as long as they continue to perform at a high level. I do agreewith the dress code. That was in correlation to what happened in Detroit a few years back. The league needed a slight make-over and it did the right thing byhaving guidelines on what you wear to games, and also on the bench. The whole issue Whitlock brings up about the tats is stupid and there is little basis forhis argument other than saying a parent has to explain to their child the deeper meaning/psyche one has when getting ink, because it is clearly a way for oneto hide their various insecurities.

Like Gritty said....NO ONE would want to pay top dollar to watch Larry Huges or Delonte West. However, he failed to mention the fact that the 1st and 2nd bestplayers in the league (Kobe/Lebron) BOTH have tattoos, piercings, etc. Hmmm...to me it just sounds like he is writing with the sole purpose to stir the pot. Ican't honestly sit here and think that he BELIEVES what he is typing.

Shoot, the whole Italian soccer squad that won the WC was inked up...where was the outrage from Whitlock then? Bottom line is, Whitlock takes "issue"(quotations becaue I don't think he truly believes what he says) with anything involving young african-americans. There is a pattern in his topics/writing,and I can see why ESPN let him go. He will make the occasional good point, but that gets clouded in the grand scheme of things due to how off the wall hisstance is on a lot of topcis pretaining to race.

I bet he is writing his next editorial on the negative effect of black athletes who wear headbands.

I guess no one ever taught Jason that correlation does not equate with causation..

Maybe the actual revelation should be that less-tattooed teams play more team-oriented basketball which might be more fan-friendly.. I dunno.. There's adifference between that and saying tattooed players = bad rating.. Slight difference but a HUGE one..

Originally Posted by Q46totheE

As much as all of you and I don't care, I bet much of the older NBA viewers (i.e. the ones buying the season tickets and purchasing all the merchandise) do. So this guy may be correct. I bet the NBA WOULD appeal to more people if the players weren't tattooed and were friendlier. Not saying the NBA should implement any sort of tattoo rule, but this guy has a point.

I totally fail to see that point...first off, where are the statistics of the NBA's declining popularity? Also, look at the jersey sales (you mentioned merchandise purchases) from 06-07.

2. Dwayne Wade
5. Steve Nash
8. Dirk
10. Vince Carter

I never said the NBA was declining in popularity. I also don't see where you think I did.

Also...the raking of jersey sales by player are kind of irrelevant...whose jersey are they supposed to be buying, all those nice, well-mannered, tattoo-lessAmerican superstars that are just taking over the NBA these days?
laugh.gif

Do you really think that if the players in the NBA today lost the attitude and the tattoos that it WOULDN'T appeal to more people, particularly the crowdthat any business wants to attract (the middle- and upper-classes)?

Do you really think that if the players in the NBA today lost the attitude and the tattoos that it WOULDN'T appeal to more people, particularly the crowd that any business wants to attract (the middle- and upper-classes)?

the attitude is one thing... but if you really refuse to watch the NBA because players have tattoos, you probably wouldn't watch anyways. if you lovebasketball and love watching basketball, you won't be focused on anybody's tattoos when you're watching a game.

and just like you said a lot of people have old-fashioned views... a LOT of people just don't like the fact that the NBA is so black. that's the realreason why a lot of people aren't attracted anymore. the people who would quit watching because players have tattoos seem like the same people who wouldquit watching because the league is 90% black.

should we appease those people too? require every team to be 3/5ths white to attract viewers?

Its pointless to even get worked up over anything Whitlock writes.

He used to have a voice and a vision, now he has neither

His writing and subjects have seen much better days ...

Funny that he mentioned Delonte West when Lebron probably has as many, if not more tattoos....but Whitlock knows that people do WANT to watch a tattooed up Lebron play basketball.

GOT 'EM

Originally Posted by Joseph Camel Jr

Originally Posted by Q46totheE

I totally fail to see that point...first off, where are the statistics of the NBA's declining popularity? Also, look at the jersey sales (you mentioned merchandise purchases) from 06-07.

2. Dwayne Wade
5. Steve Nash
8. Dirk
10. Vince Carter
I never said the NBA was declining in popularity. I also don't see where you think I did.

Also...the raking of jersey sales by player are kind of irrelevant...whose jersey are they supposed to be buying, all those nice, well-mannered, tattoo-less American superstars that are just taking over the NBA these days?
laugh.gif

Do you really think that if the players in the NBA today lost the attitude and the tattoos that it WOULDN'T appeal to more people, particularly the crowd that any business wants to attract (the middle- and upper-classes)?

When I said I failed to see the point, I was talking about your last line where you said Whitlock had one.

and no, you didn't mention that the NBA was declining in popularity, but I brought up that point because it isn't hurting for viewers or people who buythings with an NBA logo on it. You DID insinuate that the NBA could potentially be more marketable if it's players had "less" attitude and ink. The NBA is talking about expanding to Europe amongst other things. The league will not lose viewers or fans due to what tats it's employees rock on thehardwood.....Anyways, most of the guys in the top 10 of jersey sales have tats/questionable character. These are obviously traits that people ignore whenshelling out cash for an item with their name on the back. It's not irrelevant to the discussion when you are the one who brought up people buyingmerchandise.

*Also, can you name me one sport where most of it's athletes DON'T have tats, and still appeals to a large portion of a population?

The image problem that Whitlock keeps digging at is based solely on the fact that he views many of it's stars as "thugs." Lebron James is EXACTLY what the business world wants and he has many of the characteristics that Jason Whitlock has a complete disdain for...

it's a new era in professional sports. Individualism is accepted, and no one really gives two looks at a guy with a new tat. It's not the same aswhen Dennis Rodman showed up in Detroit/San Antonio with a wide variety of tattos and haircolors. Lebron will be a billionaire and is going to be the mostmarketable star since Mike left. He represents the "new" NBA athlete and the direction the league has gone. There is nothing you can do about it,and the league will NOT lose viewers or fans no matter what.

Maybe better ratings are due to the fact that the more entertaining games (western conference) are now being played at 9pm instead of 10:30...

Now that I live out here I don't understand why I used to punish myself staying up late to watch the Lakers when I knew I had to get up mad early forschool the next morning.
ohwell.gif

I hate Whitlock more than any sports writer, every time he comes out with a article it is bad mouthing black athletes for every little thing. Right behind himis that chick from espn who just wrote the article on how we should all root for the Spurs and Pistons if we want to see "real" basketball withpeople who really hustle and play the game "right".

Typical Whitlock article: dude usually has a decent point to make, but he delivers it by blaming black people, hip-hop, etc.

Originally Posted by B1LLY HOYLE

When will Fox News hire him?

I know you're being facetious, but that's how he got picked up by Fox Sports to begin with. He was commenting on the Imus issue, obviously came outand blaimed rap music, black people, and Vivianne Stringer, the execs at Fox got a hard on (old white guys who are xenophobes/borderline racists are fine, buta black guy who hates black people= golden), and they've since begun picking up his content from Kansas City, and he has been delivering it. He used to bea normal sports writer, then he went reverse what he is now where he claimed everything was racist, and then he 180'd his fat +*% to what he has becomenow.

I hope he's on Bob Costas' HBO special about race & sports later this year.

I can't wait to hear what he has to say.

Originally Posted by TrueBlack88

"No one wants to watch Delonte West or Larry Hughes play basketball. It's uncomfortable and disconcerting. You don't want your kids to see it. You don't want your kids to think they should decorate their neck, arms, hands, chest and legs in paint. You don't want to waste time explaining to your kids that some millionaire athletes have so little genuine self-confidence that they find it necessary to cover themselves in tattoos as a way to mask their insecurities."

indifferent.gif
This fool. It's frustrating to watch people blame largeproblems of our society on petty things such as body ink.

jason whitlock is a joke... he shouldn't be taken seriously... his articles aren't meant to do anything but stir up controversy that always circlesaround race... he's +!$# useless
indifferent.gif
smh.gif

I don't have a single tattoo or piercing on my body.

I am not black.

And I think Jason Whitlock is a total idiot.

Originally Posted by eaglebball1499

I don't have a single tattoo or piercing on my body.

I am not black.

And I think Jason Whitlock is a total idiot.

Co-sign, I was walking behind Whitlock at the NCAA Regional at Ford Field in March and as a future sports writer myself (in a few short months when Igraduate) I wanted to slap him in the face and call him and idiot for all of the stuff by him I've read.

No 'mo, but folks don't want to watch Delonte West cuz he's on that Sam Cassell look.

Originally Posted by PrurientSole

Typical Whitlock article: dude usually has a decent point to make, but he delivers it by blaming black people, hip-hop, etc.

Back
Top Bottom