Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Thanks fellas, I really appreciate it.

Telling y'all from personal experience, it gets rough but u can't give up. I lost my job back in august of 2011, I know I was fortunate to get unemployment and still be able to work with a friend and get paid under the table. When my unemployment ran out (February of this year) that's when I really had to hussle.

I applied to jobs that I normally wouldn't think of applying at. I couldn't just sit and not get any income. Worked at Vons and Walgreens for 6/7 months, working about 65 hours just to get $400 :x

Finally build the courage to quit vons (was getting almost minimum and having to wake up at 4 everyday was rough)

I know it gets tiring and annoying, but just keep applying. Don't give up, something will fall through.

Lost my job in August been having no luck in finding another job. I got straight hustled outta of my old job and feels like life has been kicking my *** ever since. Unemployment accepted me then denied me when they made contact with my previous employer and now I got an appeal meeting on the 14th.

I applied with AT&T but haven't heard from them and I got a friend trying to get me into the Apple store but haven't gotten a call either. I even tried going back to my old job at best buy and that was a fail.

I'm down to my last $100 and just feel like a Damn loser, I couldn't even go to school this semester cause I lost my job and couldn't afford it. The only good thing I got going is my girl but I'm even starting to notice I'm messing that up cause now I don't have money to do anything and feel like I'm just a bum boyfriend.

I live in the Miami area, hoping maybe someone on here knows of any spot hiring... I'm to the point where I'll take anything.

Sorry to hear about your current situation... Its great that your opening to earning legit way you can. Just remember, this aint how your story ends, just another plot twist that you will overcome in time with hard/smart work. If your wit a girl that really down for YOU, she will hold you down in good time and bad. Money shouldn't make relationships. ( i know it makes things easier tho). Take her to the park, free museum, grab a cam and take pix of interesting sights/subjects. It dont cost to be creative. Your personality> money. The money will come. Much success on your endeavors.

Anyone have GOOD experiences with temp agencies or head hunters (salary-wise, career potential, ect)?

I feel like I've applied everywhere but I'm not giving up yet. Things are definitely getting frustrating tho with everything else in my life but I'm feeling like something good will happen soon................at least I hope.

temp agencies are great for experience and great to hold you over to get money while also applying... and theres even a small chance you might get hired by that company....2 things to expect from a temp agency sometimes they lowball you with how much you make an hour and the position/assignment can end at any given time for no reason... with that being said i would definitely use an agency to get a job... i have been using agencies to get many jobs and most were strictly temp but the job im at now i got from my agency and i actually did get hired so ya i would give it a shot...

I'm currently in a tough situation as well. I'm currently unemployed like a lot of people in this thread. So, here is my back story. I graduated in may with my B.S. degree in Criminal Justice. I was working at a hospital in the food service department for 4 in the half years. I left there on 8/23/13 once I found out I was selected to get in this arm security job. That started on 8/26/13. I would of been making $32 and hour. Only security job here in the DMV area that I know that doesn't require any previous experience and obtain a top secret clearance. All I needed was a 4 year degree, which I have. So, I was in training for about 2 weeks for this position. Now here is the bad part, I've never had any experience holding or shooting a handgun. We had training on the second week on fire arms, but we wasn't actually in a range, so we were in a room with real pistols, but with dummy rounds inside the mags (Obvious reasons). So, it was very difficult at the time to catch on. So, at the end of the 2nd week of training, we had a practice relay at an actual gun range. Remind you, this was literally my first time ever at a gun range and actually shooting a gun. It was very hard and frustrating.

So, Monday comes around and it is the qualifications to get on contract. The first go around, I didn't pass the course of fire. That was my first attempt. So, I literally had to wait the entire day to get my second relay going. So, once again, I didn't pass and had to wait 2 weeks to retake the course of fire exam with no pay (That sucked so bad). I went to the range on my side of town to practice, but it wasn't enough for me to perfect it, since going to a gun range is expensive. So, 2 weeks go and I took the course of fire exam again and I didn't pass, so they had to let me go..smh. I could reapply in 6 months, but I want to get my shooting down pack before I apply.

Right now, I am not working and I've been looking for jobs preferably in law enforcement/security. I've applied for so many, but of course, my lack of experience is not getting me anywhere at this point. I've been working since I was 16 and this is my first time ever being unemployed at my current age of 26. I really hate it with a passion and funds is pretty low. I can't really do anything as far as going out and enjoying life. I'm at the point in my life that I will just take anything for the time being. I feel like my college degree is becoming to be a waste even though, I don't regret having it and will never trade it for anything. I just need something for now.

^with a bs in criminal justice you should be alright.  Not knowing what field of criminal justice you want to go in, but there are jobs.  Maryland corrections, maryland state troopers, metro police.  The gig your going for sounds awesome, but if it doesnt work maybe consider these options.

BS in CJ is only good depending on where you're from. That's my degree. I'm in Boston. State Trooper Civil Service List is like 5,000 deep
laugh.gif

For Probation jobs, they want a Master Degree for positions with a starting salary of $50K
indifferent.gif

Corrections you're looking at about a 6-12 month wait for base of $40K. I've heard corrections is stressful as hell too.

Last edited:
I'm still in school and employed..but I have a question.

Would experience in different areas on my résumé show that I'm not focused?

I have experience with customer service, marketing, and internships... some finance, advertising, a little accounting, and a PR internship my belt.

If an employer saw this would they think I wasn't focused on one specific thing or would this benefit me?

Last edited:
I'm still in school and employed..but I have a question.

Would experience in different areas on my résumé show that I'm not focused?

I have experience with customer service, marketing, and internships... some finance, advertising, a little accounting, and a PR internship my belt.

If an employer saw this would they think I wasn't focused on one specific thing or would this benefit me?
It would benefit you. You show that you have a very diverse skill set and you're not limiting yourself. Makes for a very interesting conversation piece during interviews. You're still in school, so it's not that big of a deal.

My resume right now has everything from finance to marketing/politics to journalism and analytics.

@FDUB In that six months before you reapply, you definitely need to get lessons. Don't look at the money you're spending as an expense but as an investment. That segment alone cost you a great paying job.

Last edited:
It would benefit you. You show that you have a very diverse skill set and you're not limiting yourself. Makes for a very interesting conversation piece during interviews. You're still in school, so it's not that big of a deal.

My resume right now has everything from finance to marketing/politics to journalism and analytics.

@FDUB
In that six months before you reapply, you definitely need to get lessons. Don't look at the money you're spending as an expense but as an investment. That segment alone cost you a great paying job.
You right, but right now, if I get a job (Hopefully soon), I'll go to the range more often to the point that shooting a pistol is natural. Right now i'm just looking into getting into unarmed security for the time being. My main goal in my field of study is to be a DEA field agent, but I need to get shooting down pack before I go that route.

Thanks fellas, I really appreciate it.

Telling y'all from personal experience, it gets rough but u can't give up. I lost my job back in august of 2011, I know I was fortunate to get unemployment and still be able to work with a friend and get paid under the table. When my unemployment ran out (February of this year) that's when I really had to hussle.

I applied to jobs that I normally wouldn't think of applying at. I couldn't just sit and not get any income. Worked at Vons and Walgreens for 6/7 months, working about 65 hours just to get $400 :x

Finally build the courage to quit vons (was getting almost minimum and having to wake up at 4 everyday was rough)

I know it gets tiring and annoying, but just keep applying. Don't give up, something will fall through.

Respect to ya Chiva.

Keep your head up FDUB. Be thankful that you have that degree. A lot of people on this thread don't (myself included)

Trust me, something good will fall your way soon.

Just got back from signing the formal offer. Got the benefits package, and my form to go take the drug test. I will do that tomorrow.

I go in my current job in 10 minutes (I live a mile away lol) I will hand in my formal 2 week resignation today.

If all goes well, I start on the 25th, not the 27th. I CAN'T WAIT.

The worst part about my job search is my lack of experience, there are so many jobs out there in my field but I just don't have the years under my belt :smh: trying to find an entry level position is a pain.

@chiva1908 thanks a lot and congrats on your job offer! It's a struggle! I have never thought in a million years that it would happen to me. This situation made me look at life in a different perspective. What makes the situation better is, I'm actually dating this girl that was in my situation, but she wasn't working for 6 months! But, she just started working a few weeks ago, but she obviously see the potential in me and is a very positive towards me. She is definitely a keeper and obviously sees me at my lowest point. I can honestly say that is what makes me not feel as down and depressed.
Word of advice, if you have a girl or dude on your side at a time like this, hold him/her as tight as possible because those types of people are a RARE BREED!!

As far as the job thing is concerned, I'm suppose to take a written test for PG county corrections on Thursday. I really don't have much interest in corrections, but at this point in my life, I'm willing to take anything and it's in my field of study that I went to school in. The pay isn't the best, but it's tolerable. Times like this makes me want to go out more and travel. I'm usually a homebody, but now I'm willing to go out WAY MORE!!! Once everything gets settled financially, I'm never going to be home lol. I hope everyone here that is in my situation keep their heads up and have faith! Things will get better for us !

Well I have just joined team unemployed. Quit my bank job because I didn't like how I was treated. I have a good amount saved up but I hate being unemployed. I'm about to start looking for new work tomorrow.

I'm trying to get into property management. So if anyone knows of any Leasing Consultant positions available in the Northern VA/DC area, let me know. It will be a new field for me but there is a lot of overlap with skillset and duties between a Personal Banker and Leasing Consultant. Hopefully, this doesn't last long. I need to work. The idle mind is the devil's playground.

Just got back from signing the formal offer. Got the benefits package, and my form to go take the drug test. I will do that tomorrow.

I go in my current job in 10 minutes (I live a mile away lol) I will hand in my formal 2 week resignation today.

If all goes well, I start on the 25th, not the 27th. I CAN'T WAIT.
I start the 25th too bro :pimp:

Got hired at aaron's as a delivery driver last week. I've worked there for 4 days so far and its actually a pretty interesting job. a majority of the day is spent driving around the city and talking to my coworker. I get to see areas i've never been to before and seeing the way different people live is pretty cool.

a friend of mine lives in atl and said that i can crash there until i get on my feet. i'd prefer to find a job before i just pick up and move b/c i don't want to burn through my savings. any atl cats have any job leads?

i have a question in regards to OT. any help would be greatly appreciated.

what are the laws on OT if you are paid on a salary. i did some research and even if you are paid salary, if you work over 40 hours a week you are entitled to OT. i have also found that being paid salary means you are not entitled to OT regardless if you work more than 40 hours.

Reactions: sb
What's a good job to get IMMEDIATELY that's still conducive to a career? I'm not talking about McD's or carrying boxes in a warehouse, rather something that looks good on a resume?

Career paths I'm interested in:

Marketing
Criminal Justice

I understand they are two very different discipline.

Just touched down in Atlanta. I'll be here for a week on the job hunt. Fams, please let me know of anything. I'm basically starting over from scratch.

Back
Top Bottom