Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

never heard of double calls, but maybe to make sure they weren't lying? maybe the person forgot?

references are so dumb, imo.

if you have important people as references, the jobs can't even contact them, let alone get a response about a BS job a former employee has used them as a reference for...

for example, my girl was the lead policy aide to the ohio house of representatives....if her reference is the former speaker of the ohio house, you REALLY need to try and have an extended convo with them about a part time job? LOL ok, good luck.

I did do a follow up email because it has been two weeks and the supervisor told me HR will contact me soon. She also stated after the interview that I will be a great fit to the company and that I hope I take the job offer when it arrives. So I was confused on why they would double check references.

The reference thing is dumb a lot of times to me as well. Its more of a pain in the *** then anything.

Recruiter wanted to check my references before an interview AND then have the actual company check em too. Like cmon man, your bothering these professional/personal people I know. Dont even know if I got the job yet.

Recruiter wanted to check my references before an interview AND then have the actual company check em too. Like cmon man, your bothering these professional/personal people I know. Dont even know if I got the job yet.
Recruiters tried to pull this with me, but I never gave them my references.

They'll just call up your references and try to recruit them too. Now I only give references when the offer is on the table and I have to sign paperwork.

Last edited:
Recruiters tried to pull this with me, but I never gave them my references.

They'll just call up your references and try to recruit them too. Now I only give references when the offer is on the table and I have to sign paperwork.

Exactly

Have they told you why? If not, ask...

For the first guy they didn't tell me the whole truth, just sugar coated it. I think they're afraid of offending me or something. I also don't even like the girl at the front desk who makes the schedules. Already on her bad side and don't know why either lol.

Shouldn't discourage you unless your personality is just that bad

Damn, these past few pages have been all good news in a row.

smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

How do you guys handle having an interview in a different state than your current full time job? I figured it's going to be tricky.

How do you guys handle having an interview in a different state than your current full time job? I figured it's going to be tricky.
I would just say I'm sick and go or had a family emergency, something they would never question,that's if the interview company wouldn't give me enough notice to interview.

My interviews for my current job were out of state and during the interview process I ended up in a situation where I was on the same flight as my manager and if I didn't figure that out it would have been the most awkward thing ever because I totally lied to him about why I was going to be absent.

It can get expensive though, many times I had to pay my own way to these interviews and there would be no reimbursement, I considered it an investment though, small things compared to what a new job would provide me.

I would also put "willing to relocate" on your resume next to your current city and state at the top of your resume. You can also try putting down a relatives address who lives in that state but when you get calls you'll be stuck having to explain it/ they won't give you a lot of turnaround time to show up.

I did the out of state interview thing for more than a year feel free to ask any questions you may have.

I would just say I'm sick and go or had a family emergency, something they would never question,that's if the interview company wouldn't give me enough notice to interview.

My interviews for my current job were out of state and during the interview process I ended up in a situation where I was on the same flight as my manager and if I didn't figure that out it would have been the most awkward thing ever because I totally lied to him about why I was going to be absent.

It can get expensive though, many times I had to pay my own way to these interviews and there would be no reimbursement, I considered it an investment though, small things compared to what a new job would provide me.

I would also put "willing to relocate" on your resume next to your current city and state at the top of your resume. You can also try putting down a relatives address who lives in that state but when you get calls you'll be stuck having to explain it/ they won't give you a lot of turnaround time to show up.

I did the out of state interview thing for more than a year feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Did you have any luck landing the jobs? Were companies generally receptive to the idea of you going from one state to another? How much time in advance did you receive before the interview? I didn't want to keep popping up and randomly taking a day off here and there, it would look suspicious. I'm in finance. Trying to relocate from Texas to New York. I'd imagine once I start to get interviews, they'll fall on random days and times. It'll look suspicious if I'm taking off days like that.

I'm kind of concerned because who's to say they won't choose a similar applicant that's already in their area. I guess that's for me to find out.

Last edited:

Did you have any luck landing the jobs? Were companies generally receptive to the idea of you going from one state to another? How much time in advance did you receive before the interview? I didn't want to keep popping up and randomly taking a day off here and there, it would look suspicious. I'm in finance. Trying to relocate from Texas to New York. I'd imagine once I start to get interviews, they'll fall on random days and times. It'll look suspicious if I'm taking off days like that.

I'm kind of concerned because who's to say they won't choose a similar applicant that's already in their area. I guess that's for me to find out.
It was mixed. Some places once they found out my situation it would be a hard stop after that, and they'd move on to other applicants.

Other places would move forward but the amount of time for notice I got was usually 2-3 days. The most I ever got was a week advance notice for my interview.

I also ran into a lot of bad luck because I was using my grandmothers address so people would think I'm in the area and say "Come in tomorrow early AM" and I would have to end that myself.

At a point I also thought I was being suspicious but I didnt care, I wanted out of my current situation badly.

My last time doing this for the job I have now there were frequent back and forth trips to NYC and even once they called me at 6 PM and asked if I would be willing to come back the next day, luckily I had taken two days off in advance. For my last interview it was done via webcam because they knew what kind of pressure they were putting on me to keep going back and forth, but IDK how common that is.

I'm also in finance and I think if theres any field thats receptive to the idea of out of state applicants, its finance, they know about the allure of working in NYC finance VS other locations.

I definitely think its worth the effort and time it takes to finesse an out of state job search, it does get rough at times though I wont lie.
What are the chances that you'd be on the same flight, the mystery of life.
I know right. Luckily I went into his office and started asking questions about his flight because I'm paranoid like that and just thought I should cover my bases. I left the building went outside and called the airline right after that 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Depending on the company they could fly you out there. I remember I was doing training in Louisiana and the company offered to fly me out to NYC since I wasn't in DC.

I interviewed at an SF finance firm and they paid for my plane ticket + hotel accommodations.

Like @Antidope mentioned, some of it was done via Skype before/after.

I've gotten flown out as well but most of the time I felt as if asking for the flyout would just be one more reason for them to deny me, so I would just pay

Have an excuse ready to take the day off. Plan out how early you need to leave. Ask if the company offers transportation assistance. When I was interviewing out of state, one company didn't and it would cost me $190-$320 a month depending on where I caught the Metro North in addition to my city transportation. The more money you can save the better.

Back
Top Bottom