Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

How off is it from what he wanted? If it's ten percent or less I would take it.
its more than 10% off from what he wanted but its the only offer on the table so far from him.Idk if he wants to do the waiting game.
Something is better than nothing man, tell him to take it. He can still look for jobs while he's working at this one.

I dont think it would be an issue if he found a new job and abruptly left that one, I've seen it happen many a time. People shouldnt expect a temp to ride it out if they ever find something perm?

The amount of people who have said that having to submit their paystubs to employers is a foreign concept is eye opening. We have had very different interview experiences.

^^^^^^ THIS!  I have gotten a few jobs where the degree is "required" but no actual proof was shown. I could just say I graduated from said university with said degree..

However having a bachelors myself I think I have grown more socially than academically ( and happy to have one because it is and actual gatekeeper in case they ever asked for proof). 

Can you imagine spending 100k on the college degree only to lose the job to someone who didn't go to said college and lied on his resume?

Something is better than nothing man, tell him to take it. He can still look for jobs while he's working at this one.

I dont think it would be an issue if he found a new job and abruptly left that one, I've seen it happen many a time. People shouldnt expect a temp to ride it out if they ever find something perm?
[rule]The amount of people who have said that having to submit their paystubs to employers is a foreign concept is eye opening. We have had very different interview experiences.

Yeah I told him just counter offer and if after a few days or week they are still being hard on the issue just take it. The employer wants him to sign a 6-8 month contract that he will make him stay there though but I told him just leave if something permanent pops up or pays what your supposed to be paid anyways.

Update: Been on a few job interviews since mid-December. Had three in the last week. The first was with a temp agency, the second a college friend got me an interview where his parent is an administrator, third was with a childcare organization as a potential data coordinator.

The job with my friend's mom is almost an hour and a half travel each way. Return interview on Monday. I'm starting to feel bad because the commute might just be too much. But this is the first potential job offer since losing my job in August. What's the best play here???

The company my dude interviewed for that wanted copies of his old paystub undercut him on the offer
laugh.gif
. I told him counter but its a contract engineering position and they said the budget is tight. They dont even want to offer him a per diem.

What would you advise him to do?
This is simple.

If he's unemployed, take the offer. If he finds another permanent position, leave the temp gig.

Update: Been on a few job interviews since mid-December. Had three in the last week. The first was with a temp agency, the second a college friend got me an interview where his parent is an administrator, third was with a childcare organization as a potential data coordinator.

The job with my friend's mom is almost an hour and a half travel each way. Return interview on Monday. I'm starting to feel bad because the commute might just be too much. But this is the first potential job offer since losing my job in August. What's the best play here???
I'd take it. I was doing a two hour commute to work once upon a time. Try and see if there's a van pool service in your area

Man in this climate you gotta get it how you live. The commute may not be desirable but if its the only offer on the table right now take that asap.

Yea if you dont have any job you should take the first thing you can get. Ill work some real BS before im unemployed for any real length of time. If its a solid job with just a commute, make that drive till you find something closer.

Any time spent not working is a lost opportunity to make money.

I work doing general labor/main/grounds and have been doing so for 4 years at these condominiums where I also live at. Started there back in May 2012 and my boss really really looked out for me and brought me board to work after I when thru a rough 2010-11 losing two jobs due to other co-workers and being in a major theft ring.

I messed up so bad I can't face the places or step foot in them out of guilt/shame. I vowed never to return to work in the restaurant, retail, or entertainment industry because other people seriously sabotage me. And I don't trust myself.

Being a groundskeeper I set my own hours, work by myself in peace and quiet and simply walk to my hallway and go back home.

I'm planning on leaving for the Navy in a couple months and been reflecting back on a lot from when I started this job until now and I've been seriously blessed.
But my time is dwindling (turning 24 in March) and I need to move on so I can provide for my future family someday.

I wasn't **** did i so much ****** dirt and he gave me a stranger a second chance I'm forever indebted because others would have just turn me away.

The transition from civilian to military will be hard for me I can feel it but have to be strong........

Last edited:
Where they do that at? :x

I'm at a point now where I'm getting comfortable at my current gig and I don't like being comfortable because I start to get complacent and settle. Job is coo but doesn't really pay the bills w/o any left over for savings. Been trying to find a decent p/t gig but they want you available for f/t hours and pay min wage. Been looking at Web Dev or Project Manager positions but they want a lot of exp, can't move since I don't have the scratch. Feel like there's all these powers doing their best to keep pinned down and stressed. But then I remember the speech in Rocky Balboa and get up and start swingin again.

I know my situation aint as bad as others, but it still is *****. Keep your heads up brohams.

Man we are in the same position I swear, especially my gig being a union job seeing people staying here for 30+ years :smh: I
needed a job and this one paid way more than I was looking for so I stuck with it. It's been 3 years now and I've been ready
to leave after 6 months with this terrible management and long commute. Trying to save up money now has been difficult
but it's really about planning and getting things you need not wants.

I'm also grinding the free web development courses out there and paying for team treehouse looking to switch careers
to something I actually enjoy.

Yea if you dont have any job you should take the first thing you can get. Ill work some real BS before im unemployed for any real length of time. If its a solid job with just a commute, make that drive till you find something closer.

Any time spent not working is a lost opportunity to make money.

So true!! I didn't work for a year when I moved to a new city, was a pain in the @$%.

My boy turned down 2 jobs and was about to turn a 3rd one down until I talked him out of it.

As you recall he was offered a assistant manager position in Walmart (60k+bonus) 10 minutes away.

City police (37 academy 42 after academy)

He was about to turn down BestBuy (68K + bonus) because a 45 minute drive but I told him to take it and continue looking.

Last edited:
Lol turning down 68k because of 48 minutes. The nerve of this dude. The entitlement.

Lol turning down 60k over ten minutes. This guy doesn't deserve a job.

Last edited:
Lol turning down 68k because of 48 minutes. The nerve of this dude. The entitlement.

What the hell :lol: pride is a *****. I applaud the Hispanics that will work any job because money is money and pride went out the window a longtime ago

Last edited:
Has anyone dealt with a company that has a deadline for 401k?

I just found out from my company that their deadline was January 1 and I started on January 11. They can only match me starting in 2017.

It makes no sense to me and I'm really pissed about this. Basically, they won't match me if I contribute to the 401k in 2016.

Last edited:

he turned down 60K because he was expecting at least 75K ... lol.

The 45 minute commute IMHO is a bit much but I can't continue to see dude dwindling down his saving to hold off . In all honesty 45 minutes is a lot for a family man. Like I told his ads take it and continue looking or move to a place with more job opportunities.

Has anyone dealt with a company that has a deadline for 401k?

I just found out from my company that their deadline was January 1 and I started on January 11. They can only match me starting in 2017.

It makes no sense to me and I'm really pissed about this. Basically, they won't match me if I contribute to the 401k in 2016.
I've heard of it before, and it seems pretty ridiculous. You would think most places would accommodate new hires, I started a job in the middle of July and got 401k matching from the jump. It just makes sense.

he turned down 60K because he was expecting at least 75K ... lol.

The 45 minute commute IMHO is a bit much but I can't continue to see dude dwindling down his saving to hold off . In all honesty 45 minutes is a lot for a family man. Like I told his ads take it and continue looking or move to a place with more job opportunities.
45 minute commute is nothing. I've had a 2 hour commute accounting for traffic and my current one ranges from 50 minutes in the morning to 90 minutes at night. That guy needs to stop with the nonsense. He wants to walk two blocks and make 6 figures.

Graduated in May '15, started my job in April '15. I recently received a "promotion" opportunity but it seems like a lateral move. Management is calling it a promotion, but the position I would be going to is in the same pay grade that I'm currently in, but the new role is in one of the most important desks in the office (core business). Thing is, the pay grade is fairly broad. From the base salary up to an $8K pay bump.‎

They were in the process of writing the offer letter up Friday and I'll have it on Monday. If the pay  bump is not what I'm expecting, what's a good amount to counter offer?

Let's say my current pay (random numbers) is $53K + 8-10% annual bonus.

If they were to offer $55K, what should I counter with?‎

I've heard of it before, and it seems pretty ridiculous. You would think most places would accommodate new hires, I started a job in the middle of July and got 401k matching from the jump. It just makes sense.

45 minute commute is nothing. I've had a 2 hour commute accounting for traffic and my current one ranges from 50 minutes in the morning to 90 minutes at night. That guy needs to stop with the nonsense. He wants to walk two blocks and make 6 figures.
Just curious to know if you are married with kids?

Also, how much are you making?

The reason I made the comment about 60k (10 minutes) because in a way, I think he was better off on that job that making 68k and having to commute 45 minutes. Just in gas alone a year, he might be saving 4k and the extra commute easily in my opinion makes up for the rest.

Graduated in May '15, started my job in April '15. I recently received a "promotion" opportunity but it seems like a lateral move. Management is calling it a promotion, but the position I would be going to is in the same pay grade that I'm currently in, but the new role is in one of the most important desks in the office (core business). Thing is, the pay grade is fairly broad. From the base salary up to an $8K pay bump.‎

They were in the process of writing the offer letter up Friday and I'll have it on Monday. If the pay  bump is not what I'm expecting, what's a good amount to counter offer?

Counter with what you think your new role demands and what you are expecting.

I think is better to be honest and let people know your expectations instead of trying to request and offer just based on the amount they are offering you. What's the worst it can happen? They tell you this is the max?

Just curious to know if you are married with kids?

Also, how much are you making?

The reason I made the comment about 60k (10 minutes) because in a way, I think he was better off on that job that making 68k and having to commute 45 minutes. Just in gas alone a year, he might be saving 4k and the extra commute easily in my opinion makes up for the rest.
I am not married and no kids.

I've also been in that situation where the money I was spending on gas was killing, I was filling up every four days it was ridiculous and I was not making anything close to what I deemed an acceptable salary. I eventually found a van pool for only 100$ a month and it made things better. Making 60+ will do more than help alleviate the cost of gas.

Neither option was worth rejecting

Last edited:

You should be getting a 7-10% raise man. Based on the numbers you just threw out that's about a 3% raise that's ridiculous especially if they're going to play up the importance of the role and call it once of the the most important desks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom