Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

In doing a lot of research these last few weeks on career advice, and resume and interview tips, I read that early March is the time you want to start applying as a May graduate.

Already applied to a few places this last week, seems a little early but it couldn't hurt right?

Originally Posted by Girl Thats Drob

Anyone interning currently? I have an internship right now (only a sophomore) and I'm interested to see who all got offered a position after serving the internship.
I interned at WPXI-TV (NBC affiliate channel 11 news in Pittsburgh) last spring semester (I graduated last May) and unfortunately
they didn't offer me a job... even though it was for credit and I earned an A in the course. As a sophomore, you should try your best

to leave a good impression on your supervisor(s) and maintain (e-mail most likely) contact until you graduate. Good luck! 

Decided to give this a bump

I just got a call from a job I interviewed for literally a year ago. They said that they really liked me but could not offer me (or any of the candidates) a job at the time. Got a 'refresher' interview scheduled tomorrow and hopefully I land the gig. It's an analyst job for a govt contractor handling network security. I feel like this is a sign because I just started taking steps to start a career in network administration. My current job is cool but it is mind numbing work and I just took it to keep the bills paid..

If you get that email saying that they couldn't offer you a position at the time ALWAYS follow up and ask to keep your stuff on file. You never know cause they might actually follow up with you later. Wish me luck

Originally Posted by s0leFUNK

Decided to give this a bump

I just got a call from a job I interviewed for literally a year ago. They said that they really liked me but could not offer me (or any of the candidates) a job at the time. Got a 'refresher' interview scheduled tomorrow and hopefully I land the gig. It's an analyst job for a govt contractor handling network security. I feel like this is a sign because I just started taking steps to start a career in network administration. My current job is cool but it is mind numbing work and I just took it to keep the bills paid..

If you get that email saying that they couldn't offer you a position at the time ALWAYS follow up and ask to keep your stuff on file. You never know cause they might actually follow up with you later. Wish me luck

Good luck brother. I hope you get it

Originally Posted by Antidope

Originally Posted by s0leFUNK

88e351d6e8089929ba54bf1c12e12a5887a8fed.png

You can do a Google search on resume techniques that work.  Dont be afraid to draw inspiration from different sources and turn it into something that represents YOU
Thats pretty cool. I'd be interested to know how you did that.

Originally Posted by LosPollosHermanos

Originally Posted by Antidope

Never use a template to write your resume. The templates are poor, and moreover, everyone else uses them which means your resume will be laid out identically to everyone else's. For simplicity and readability, you should always use Times New Roman or Arial font for a resume, and only one or two sizes. Avoid complicated formatting (such as automated bullet point lists, numbering schemes/outlining schemes, and tables or frames) as much as possible. And always send your resume in PDF, not Word format. This belongs to a friend of mine take a look at it. http://destinypedia.net/Legal Resume_Redacted.pdf
Not to be argumentative or rude, you told him not to use a template. Then you send him a template.
Just sayin'
I wouldnt necessarily call that a template, its just adhering to a lot of common techniques for resume writing, from what I was told by my friend he did that all from scratch, or did you mean that I told him not to use one then proceeded to give him one to emulate?

Originally Posted by oso23

Yahoo just had an article on the worst top 10 u.s cities to find a job. The city I live in is number 2 on the list.
30t6p3b.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
Half of that list is California

[table][tr][th=""]Metro Area[/th] [th=""]Unemployment Rate, Nov. 2011[/th] [th=""]Y-Y Change[/th][/tr][tr][td]1. Merced, Calif.[/td] [td]16.9[/td] [td]-1.7[/td][/tr][tr][td]2. Fresno, Calif.[/td] [td]15.7[/td] [td]-1.7[/td][/tr][tr][td]3. Modesto, Calif.[/td] [td]15.5[/td] [td]-1.7[/td][/tr][tr][td]4. Stockton, Calif.[/td] [td]15.5[/td] [td]-2.3[/td][/tr][tr][td]5. Visalia-Porterville, Calif.[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]-1.8[/td][/tr][tr][td]6. Atlantic City-Hammonton, N.J.[/td] [td]12.4[/td] [td]0.1[/td][/tr][tr][td]7. Bakersfield-Delano, Calif.[/td] [td]13.4[/td] [td]-2.2[/td][/tr][tr][td]8. Hickory-Lenoir-Morganton, N.C.[/td] [td]11.7[/td] [td]-0.7[/td][/tr][tr][td]9. Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, Calif.[/td] [td]12.5[/td] [td]-2.0[/td][/tr][tr][td]10. Brownsville-Harlingen, Texas[/td] [td]11.2[/td] [td]-0.5[/td][/tr][/table]
Its funny that a lot of central valley (California) cities were listed. I am a Civil Engineer doing Construction Management and was relocated from the Bay Area to Stockton,CA. There are hundreds of jobs opening up for the project I am working on (CHCF Stockton). If they is anyone interested in Construction Management, there are tons of jobs with many different companies and contractors at this site. 

I had to quit my job in January because I lost my transportation to and from work. Was getting mad offers at other places while I was working there but as soon as I was available the phone stopped ringing lol. Moving to Orlando next month so hopefully I can get a job at hospital or nursing home there

I got laid off from ford like 6 months ago. My friend and I got in after high school. Been laid off, and rehired 3 seperate times. My friend just got the call back yesterday, gets to go back Monday. I haven't heard *##@.
sick.gif
. I get unemployment and I work a under the table part time job at the moment, which equals out to about $350/week. Which isn't bad, even though that wasn't even half of my pay at ford. Bills aren't too bad, I share a house with 2 of my friends so rent + cell+ car = a little over 2 weeks of my current income. Living off 650/month + my side hustle could be worse, but it sucks. Lol And HATE sitting around doing nothing all day. So boring. I'm a pot smoker, so at first it was aight cause Id just post up, blayz, and play ps3 all day. I got thrown on papers in january so I can't smoke till july. Can only drink so much lol
Maaaan *##@ is so boring.
Hoping for the call back soon. Hate living off uncle sams %%@$* %%%.

I have an interview with Gilbane Construction tomorrow. They're a really big company and it would be a great opportunity, but I haven't been on an interview in years. I'm so nervous.
ohwell.gif

Wish me Luck.

Originally Posted by lana85

I have an interview with Gilbane Construction tomorrow. They're a really big company and it would be a great opportunity, but I haven't been on an interview in years. I'm so nervous.
ohwell.gif

Wish me Luck.

Good luck. I tried finding a job around SoCal but no luck smh,
tired.gif
. Hopefully relocating will increase my luck
ohwell.gif

Gilbane is always hiring. they def like civils and minorities. but they hire all around too. GL

as for me...

HIRED. Electrical Engineer. New York, NY.

7 L O N G months of searching and i end up getting hired via a friend. who u know makes a big difference. GL to those out there still searching.

Found a temp to hire job via a staffing agency, start on Wednesday. Position is for an Accounts Payable/Payroll Clerk only 11.50/hr but I'll take it for right now and something else to add to my resume.

Originally Posted by sreggie101

Gilbane is always hiring. they def like civils and minorities. but they hire all around too. GL

as for me...

HIRED. Electrical Engineer. New York, NY.

7 L O N G months of searching and i end up getting hired via a friend. who u know makes a big difference. GL to those out there still searching.
Ive never even heard of them. I hope theyre a good company....Well see how the interview goes first. Its either working for the CEO or in HR.

Thanks everyone and the best of luck to you all.

Does anyone know who unemployement works? I work for a minor sports team and they are getting sold in the next month. I am not sure if the new ownership is going to keep everyone around or just clean house and fill it with the people who they want. Am I able to collect unemployment since I was technically laidoff and not "fired"...any help would be appreciated. Never been in this situation.

I'm coming on month 2 and this is horrible. Boredom. I'm in the gym tomorrow and filling out more applications.

Originally Posted by tyisny

anybody in NY know of a good temp agency?
Or just online temp agencies
Temp Agencies flock to places like Craigslist jobs, look there.
In fact everyone here looking for a job should check there. Theres a lot of good looks on there

aight fambs...

i'm stepping in this thread cuz i'm leaving my current situation of playing my senior year of basketball i'm going to need a job...

i plan on going to grad school to get my MBA from a top tier program in the future.. (3-5 years from now)

as for now, i want a job that i can search for and hold down until then and gain some exp.

SOME THINGS ABOUT ME:

-BBA-Marketing degree
-5 years retail exp (Footaction, Hibbet Sports as a asst and head manager)
-couldnt really do too much else cuz of basketball
frown.gif

-from Lamarque, which is about 30 min outside of houston.

-not afraid to move home, and also not afraid to move anywhere and start over w/ an air mattress and empty apartment.

are there any suggestions i should look for?

I'm planning on going to school in the fall 12 full time somewhere and getting a MS-Finance or Entrepreneurship from a lower tier school for bolstering up chances of getting to a better school in the future, and broaden my abilities (i would love to go into investment banking for a career)

i've played ball, took a full load and worked 30 hours all college, so working a full time job and going to school full time is a daunting task to me cuz i've done it all thru undergrad on another level.

if i could find somewhere that i could work 40+ hours a week and make a salary more than 30K ($15 an hour) i'd be cool (this is what i made as a head manager... the job sucked, though, and i was steadily at 50 hours a week).

i sum it up by saying "what kind of job should i look for?"

i have until the end of summer to find a school for a 1.5 years and job in the same city for about 3-5 years...

work is much harder to find than school...

Does anyone know who unemployement works? I work for a minor sports team and they are getting sold in the next month. I am not sure if the new ownership is going to keep everyone around or just clean house and fill it with the people who they want. Am I able to collect unemployment since I was technically laidoff and not "fired"...any help would be appreciated. Never been in this situation.

You would be able to collect unemployment since you would be laid off.  As long as you aren't fired with a legitimate cause or quit voluntarily you can get unemployment when you lose your job.

Originally Posted by frostythepoptart

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Originally Posted by frostythepoptart

100% disagree.

You should check out tons of templates and various different resumes, and then decide if you want to create your own. The resume OP posted imo is terrible. all the credentials are there but who cares if it doesn't have any aesthetic appeal. bullets , tables, are all methods to give yourself a cleaner more worthwhile look. That resume looks like a sloppy newspaper article and if someone has the chance to look at that or a succint to the point 1 page resume what do you think they are more likely to do.

as far as only working in retail just make your job sound bigger than it was. if you worked at mcdonalds you could fib about how you greeted every customer in a certain fashion, make your day to day activities sound a lot better than cooking and cleaning, and there are many ways to do that.
Who cares if it doesn't have any aesthetic appeal? No wonder this thread is +75 pages.
30t6p3b.gif

I don't think it's a terrible resume at all. Looks exactly like every resume I've ever created and I haven't been without work since I was 16.

Experience and personality mean so much more than any aesthetic attribute on a resume.

and I'm sorry but you really can't make working at McDonalds sound like anything other than working at McDonalds.

Not there's anything wrong at all with working at an establishment like that, but you have to put yourself in the position of the employer. Most likely they're not stupid and no matter how eloquently you describe your ability to operate the deep fryer you're not going to impress anybody.

If your only experience is working retail you need to convey that that's where you developed your foundation of outstanding customer service and teamwork skills and leave it at that.
so basically you just disagreed with me about mcdonalds then sat and wrote why examples on how you agreed with me?
eyes.gif

for the job this man applied for his resume was most likely good because of what he had to offer and they'd likely take the time to go through all of that. That said times have changed my friend, everyone wants a job and they are scarce. every career center meeting i've had at school mentions making your resume stand out.

what separates or makes your jumble of text worth reading in comparison to 5 others sitting on the table. HR is going to go through 10000000000 of these a day and you prefer to be just another block of text rather than put a little format into your resume? Nobody said get out the coloring crayons.

the whole aesthetic idea is why the "1 page rule" has been lightly placed on resumes. otherwise you put too much emphasis on hoping your resume will be read, or even skimmed rather than forcing their hand by being inviting.
I thought you were overly criticial. His resume certainly wasn't terrible and you place a little too much emphasis on aesthetics.

I'm not saying aeshetics don't matter but they supplement everything else about you that you've conveyed on your resume, they don't render those other factors irrelevant, which is basically what you implied when you said who cares about your credentials if you're resume doesn't have aesthetic appeal.

Got a job offer today fellas
pimp.gif
.... i was down for a min, but its starting to look up...keep ya'll heads up and keep putting those apps in

Back
Top Bottom