Joey Bada$$ 1999 mixtape

Halfway through this mixtape and I'm kind of liking this better than 1999.

Its a good tape but nowhere near as good as 1999. There is some really good production on here and some of the other members of Pro Era impressed me with their lyrical ability.

Dude can spit but I've always said he needs some new original production . . . that dusty 90's sound getting/got old quick . . . It's 2013 yo . . .

But it's crazy that him and Keef are the same age and the different types of music they're making lol

Last edited:
I love the vibe. Some say he's stuck in the 90's, and that may be. But that means nothing, this is still art at the end of the day. There is a wave of artist embracing the 20th Century feel with music.

There has to be a sphere with the genre of hip-hop, can't expect all artist to bring a sound to achieve a similar goal.

...With all of that said, this tape may be better than 1999. I'll give it a few more spends, but I'm definitely a fan now.

Joey is cool. I feel like the rest of Pro Era are a bunch of unpolished rappers. There were a few bright spots but just from listening, you could tell that they were new to the recording process.

I love the vibe. Some say he's stuck in the 90's, and that may be. But that means nothing, this is still art at the end of the day. There is a wave of artist embracing the 20th Century feel with music.
There has to be a sphere with the genre of hip-hop, can't expect all artist to bring a sound to achieve a similar goal.
...With all of that said, this tape may be better than 1999. I'll give it a few more spends, but I'm definitely a fan now.

I agree with your response to those who say he is stuck in the 90's. I just think he is bringing a fresh sound to the boom-bap style of hip-hop which I like. The bottom line as you said is that it is art and dude can spit. The production on this album is dope and far from "dusty" (whatever that means) at all.

RhymeSik, I feel you on some of the other PE members being unpolished. Joey is easily the most polished rapper of the bunch and I still think he has plenty of room for growth and improvement just like any young artist honing their craft. The other members I like beside Joey and I think can really spit are Capital Steez,CJ Fly, Dessy Hinds, and Nyck Caution all these guys have pretty good flows and clever wordplay and I would be intrigued to hear future works from them.

Dude can spit but I've always said he needs some new original production . . . that dusty 90's sound getting/got old quick . . . It's 2013 yo . . .
negative, thats why he's popping off, cuz he's embraced that boom bap with a lyrical acumen to match.

negative, thats why he's popping off, cuz he's embraced that boom bap with a lyrical acumen to match.
To cats like you who were in their teens/early 20's in the 90's and miss that sound . . . but is that demographic gonna really buy albums?

To cats like you who were in their teens/early 20's in the 90's and miss that sound . . . but is that demographic gonna really buy albums?​

What demographic does buy albums then? because in general, It's not the hip hop/rap listening demographic. There are rappers who have sold well recently that were underground rappers who built a buzz and solid fan base then dropped the major label debut with some solid singles. Now they have established careers. Ex. J cole, Mac Miller, Kendrick.

It's not all about buying albums, I don't know if that is his aim, but his music/style isn't going to appeal to the masses.

He needs to focus on making music that plays into his strengths. Joey is catering to an art more so than human appeal. As a luxury, there is a sub-culture who would truly appreciate his art.

ways
Dude can spit but I've always said he needs some new original production . . . that dusty 90's sound getting/got old quick . . . It's 2013 yo . . .​

To cats like you who were in their teens/early 20's in the 90's and miss that sound . . . but is that demographic gonna really buy albums?​

I see your point but son should stick to his lane. You can't just jump on trends and the same sound that everybody else is using. Those dusty beats have always been a great sound.

What demographic does buy albums then? because in general, It's not the hip hop/rap listening demographic. There are rappers who have sold well recently that were underground rappers who built a buzz and solid fan base then dropped the major label debut with some solid singles. Now they have established careers. Ex. J cole, Mac Miller, Kendrick.

Exactly! And also why does everyone's favorite artist have to sell major records? I have posted this in other threads in this forum and I truly don't get the expecation among hip-hop fans that their favorite artist is going to "blow up" and appeal to the masses.

Someone else posted that Joey is catering to the art of hip-hop and he has stated before that he doesn't care about the radio. I applaud him for being a true artist and doing it for the art. Fans that love that will support just like they did with Kendrick, J. Cole etc.

Its sad how so called hip-hop fans now equate commercial sales with actually artistic success.

To cats like you who were in their teens/early 20's in the 90's and miss that sound . . . but is that demographic gonna really buy albums?
Buying albums is so.....90's.  

Dudes can make a great living off of touring, promotion, etc.  Selling records on a major label isn't what it used to be.  All praises be to the Internet.  

Capital STEEZ killed himself this morning....bruh wasn't even 20. R.I.P

Last edited:

I can't even comprehend this ****. Son was like the ab-soul of pro era.

This just can't be life. Was really expecting some great music from that young man.

Wow. This really came out of no where...

Tape just dropped like 3 days ago...

Dude was dope and was looking foreword to his music...

My prayers go to his family right now...

eek.gif
 Wow, I'm stunned. RIP 

Back
Top Bottom