Jon Jones' No Good, Very Bad Day....

jon jones with his skills and abilities should be an even bigger star with higher ppvs
he should be drawing like conor, ronda, brock. gsp, silva

i think him and a guy like lawler to the casual fans arent that "big"
the p4p guys should be top buys. not sure if fans, ufc or the fighters for not making it happen
maybe, the sport needs that wwf back-n-forth to draw eyeballs. it took jones/DC a year to promote that match

Last edited:
Mighty Mouse is another one.

You could easily argue that he's the top P4P guy and his drawing power is trash.

Chuck and Randy left, the UFC is fine.

Brock goes back to WWE, GSP "retires", the UFC is fine.

JBJ is doing lines off a strippers booty, the UFC is fine.

Conor could get washed and retire and the UFC would still be fine.

100%.

The ironic part is that some of these events people describe as "killing" the UFC, are actually helping it in the long run.

The controversy around JBJ and his suspension has only made him a bigger star and made the DC fight the most anticipated of his career. In the time he was gone, we saw a great fight between DC and Gus, and also saw things to remain interested in the potential Rumble JBJ fight that he was forced to drop out of.

Ronda Rousey's loss to Holly Holm literally brought interest to a whole division. The women's bantamweight division was essentially what fighter the mass public hasn't heard about will Ronda destroy next. No one wanted to see Tate fight her again. Now we have 3 great fighters at the top of the division, Ronda not having all the power when it comes to Cyborg in the UFC (Holm and Tate have been more open to fighting her in the past although it was never serious), and the potential to introduce other fighters in the division to the public via fights with the Top 3.

Every fight Conor has, win or loss, is making his opponent and the fight game better known to the mass public. If he lost to an absolute nobody and proved that the whole thing was a product of some manipulative UFC push, then sure, that would hurt, but that's not the case. Is Conor creating other stars as big as him, no. Will someone else beat whatever PPV record he will hold right after he retires, no. But will a bunch of people who had never watched MMA before but started because of him tune into Nate Diaz's next fight? Yes. Interested in Aldo's next fight? Probably. If I had to guess I'd say other than MMA fans it was rare that anyone had even heard of Aldo and Diaz before the Conor fights or Dos Anjos before that media tour. His effect goes far beyond himself.

Last edited:
jon jones with his skills and abilities should be an even bigger star with higher ppvs
he should be drawing like conor, ronda, brock. gsp, silva
I agree. Problem is he doesn't really have a shtick, besides being a great all around fighter. Conor used the Irish pride thing and being an a-hole, Silva one upping every previous knockout each time he stepped into the octagon, Ronda has the "looks," Brock had the WWE fanbase and was just a behemoth, etc.

honda definitely didn't have "the looks". She's nasty to look at. Her dominating weak competition and her bad attitude are what her dumb fans like. jones is a natural heel. People saw through his fake, humble act from the beginning. He's actually more interesting now that he embraces who he is.

And she lost. But you're missing the point. She was once indestructible and considered hot by many. That was her big draw.

I refuse to acknowledge that a normal human being ever found that ogre even slightly attractive.

Jon Jones is not the best fighter ever. Are you guys serious with that?

This bum cannot even hold down the title outside of the ring now, what makes you think he could do so in the ring.

I really hope that UFC 197 is back on so Cormier can wash this crackhead.

^
Chill, it is just a fight sport ! :lol:

Some think he is the best, your opinion is just that, your opinion.

Jones, practically no loss, clearly feared and highly skilled. Cormier, if you think he has a chance against jones, you are trippin. :lol: People love winners and Jones is a winner, that is about it.

I don't understand the disdain for Jones, are you more so focused in his personal life than the ring? If so, I don't understand how those two correlate. It is a fight sport, not the NBA.

Last edited:
Um, seems like a lot of fight fans have him as the goat. And for good reason. Look at his abilities and his resumé. I never liked the guy or was a fan of his but his greatness as a fighter is easy to see.

Um, seems like a lot of fight fans have him as the goat. And for good reason. Look at his abilities and his resumé. I never liked the guy or was a fan of his but his greatness as a fighter is easy to see.

A lot of fight fans have no idea what they're talking about, tho, :lol:

JBJ is great and he's one of the greatest fighters ever but his size advantage over the LHW division is insane.

I don't really think it's a coincidence that he didn't look so spectacular against Gus.

Conor gets knocked all the time for fighting smaller dudes but JBJ has basically done the same thing.

He's in the discussion, but I don't really think you can call him the GOAT until we see how he looks @ HW.

His run @ 205 has been ridiculous, tho.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you gotta exclude the morons. The mma thread has good posters but you gotta exclude the morons too. Yeah, he has the reach advantage but he knows how to use it. Not something I can knock him for. anderson dominated the lhw's he faced and it was awesome to see. Someone fighting hw's is a whole different story though.

So Jon jones isn't as good because he utilizes his reach?

Like any great long fighter has done in the history of combat sports.

But what JBJ lacks in weight, he makes up for in length. That's the beauty of weight classes. It's a balancing act.

He's 100% in the discussion. Especially since Anderson lost to Michael ******* Bisping.

Nevermind the fact that Jones is an elite striker. Nevermind the fact that his clinch game is top notch and he utilizes it to score plenty of take downs (including on DC, an Olympic wrestler). Or the fact that he's submitted people with BJJ black belts when he doesn't have any ranking in any major martial art.

But we just gon attribute his success to his size and not his pure, undeniable skill and talent. But what do I know

Jon Jones is not the best fighter ever. Are you guys serious with that?

This bum cannot even hold down the title outside of the ring now, what makes you think he could do so in the ring.

I really hope that UFC 197 is back on so Cormier can wash this crackhead.

You must live under a rock. He's widely considered by many many MMA journalists as the greatest of all time and he was on the brink of ENTERING his prime.

I don't think you have to move up a weight class to be considered the goat. Yeah it looks good on the resumé but it shouldn't count against you if you don't move up.

But what JBJ lacks in weight, he makes up for in length. That's the beauty of weight classes. It's a balancing act.

He's 100% in the discussion. Especially since Anderson lost to Michael ******* Bisping.

Nevermind the fact that Jones is an elite striker. Nevermind the fact that his clinch game is top notch and he utilizes it to score plenty of take downs (including on DC, an Olympic wrestler). Or the fact that he's submitted people with BJJ black belts when he doesn't have any ranking in any major martial art.
But we just gon attribute his success to his size and not his pure, undeniable skill and talent. But what do I know

When did I say he wasn't in the discussion?

All I said was dude has a size advantage, I never said he wasn't a skilled fighter, :lol:

He's flat out bigger than anyone he's fought besides Gus, period.

I want to see him test himself against bigger guys before I call him the GOAT, that's all.

What if he doesn't fight hw's? Would your decision about him be incomplete? Is being taller always considered bigger though? Dude has chicken legs and had a lean body type. Dunno if he kept on the muscle he put on before.

Na, he'd still be up there for me but it's something he's always talked about doing, so I don't see why it won't happen eventually.

I honestly think the only other test left he has @ 205 is Rumble.

So, I'm hoping that happens and then he moves up.

Na, he'd still be up there for me but it's something he's always talked about doing, so I don't see why it won't happen eventually.

I honestly think the only other test left he has @ 205 is Rumble.

So, I'm hoping that happens and then he moves up.
Yeah he said he's got 3 more fights at LHW before he moves up: DC2, Rumble, Gus 2

Back
Top Bottom