Jordan "Flight" story?

I noticed that by the time IV's came out, the famous FLIGHT script came to play. Also, those IV's were the first Jordans marketed worldwide. Sowhat's the story on FLIGHT? Is it like a clothing line within Jordan brand or what? Any pics from those catalogues?

I may very well be wrong, but I believe it had something to do with the advertising Nike was doing at the time. Basketball was basically split into twotypes.... Flight (your high flying, guards and wings) and Force (bangers, I remember Barkley was in the ads for Force).
Jordan fell into the Flight side

Yeah this stuff is always interesting to me, need more info
smile.gif
Could it be: Flight - indoor use, Force - outdoor use maybe?

Nice ^^ thanks I havent seen those in a long time I forgot all about that
pimp.gif

In 1988-89 Nike basketball decided to split their line of shoes into two sections. Flight being for the highflyers and Force being for the inside bangers.

Jordan and Ron Harper were part of the Flight crew and Barkley was part of the Force series. The Flight shoes were generally lighter and less bulky, and all ofthose shoes carried the Flight naming convention (Jordan IV, Flight '89). The Force shoes were bigger and bulkier for the big guys and they too carried theForce naming convention.

However, one shoe in particular that people from both camps fell in love with was the Air Force Max that the Fab Five and Barkley wore. By around '93, Nikestarted getting rid of the separation of shoe lines and the naming convention slowly disappeared.

You guys are right, the split the athletes up into flight and force. What's the white shoe book? I have it somewhere, anyways it goes into detail aboutthis.

Can anyone make me an avatar with this one?

http://www.wk.com/#/works/264/

Thanks for the info Dunkadelic, were there any other notable players who were more a part of the "force" series other than Barkley?

I remember when Nike did it, everyone on my middle school bball team had the flights

Originally Posted by 3thaman

What's the white shoe book? /

Sole Provider.

The list from the book.

Force:
Barkley
Moses Malone
Artis Gilmore
David Robinson
Rasheed Wallace
Alonzo Mourning
Ac Green
Buck Williams
Jeff Ruland
Truck Robinson
Juwan Howard
DL (Down Low)
Manute Bol
Bobby Jones
Pat Ewing
Natalie Williams
Elton Brand
Paul Silas
Maurice Lucas
Tim Duncan
Jermain O'Neal

Flight

Jordan
Kidd
Ron Harper
Penny
Pippen
Payton
Michael Cooper
Sydney Moncrief
Baron Davis
Reggie Miller
Norm Nixon
Byron Scott
Kiki Vandeweghe
Paul Pierce
Tim Hardaway
Mitch Richmond
AC (Area Code)
Alvin Robertson
Cynthia Cooper
Maurice Cheeks
DaJuan Wagner

The book isn't quite as comprehensive as some might want you to believe,
it gets the chronology a little mixed up, and i think a few shoes are missing from the timeline at the back...
but it is still worth a look.

Originally Posted by Riker

Anyone got the FLIGHT script logo maybe?
my favorite emblem of all time..... the jumpman with the flight script. luvin it since 1989.... i had the jordan tee and sweatshirt from backthen.... stocked up again with the 99 retros...

Back
Top Bottom