Just got accepted into Grad. School. Mission: Masters Degree by 24.

I just got my acceptance letter into graduate school. ill be getting my masters in Sports Commerce at The University of Memphis. Which one of my fellow NT'es have taking the journey of doing graduate school or doctorates? Im pretty stoked i got accepted. I did horrible on the GRE but still got in. Feeling blessed!
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Memphis2atl

I just got my acceptance letter into graduate school. ill be getting my masters in Sports Commerce at The University of Memphis. Which one of my fellow NT'es have taking the journey of doing graduate school or doctorates? Im pretty stoked i got accepted. I did horrible on the GRE but still got in. Feeling blessed!
pimp.gif
Congrats.  I'll be getting my second master's degree in December at the age of 27.  I took both the GMAT and the GRE.  The GRE was for my former, the GMAT was for the latter.  I did OK and succeeded in the initial goals I set out to do.

A master's degree by itself does not mean much though.  Sure it counts as 2 years of work experience, but real life experience will outweigh it.  The real benefit of a master's program is to be able to use your life/work experience to supplement the things you are learning. 

Nice stuff OP

I'm hoping to have my BA in Economics by 20, masters by 22 hopefully if it all pans out.

Originally Posted by wj4

pimp.gif
Congrats.  I'll be getting my second master's degree in December at the age of 27.  I took both the GMAT and the GRE.  The GRE was for my former, the GMAT was for the latter.  I did OK and succeeded in the initial goals I set out to do.

A master's degree by itself does not mean much though.  Sure it counts as 2 years of work experience, but real life experience will outweigh it.  The real benefit of a master's program is to be able to use your life/work experience to supplement the things you are learning. 

What are both of your masters in?

Congrats bro! I have to take both the GRE and GMAT soon, so nervous.
Not sure if I'm going for a MS or MBA yet though

Originally Posted by eiddyfouw

Originally Posted by wj4

pimp.gif

Hi Eiddy,

My first master's is a Master's of Science in the field of Environmental & Occupational Health.  This was the same field as my BS.  I'm currently working on my MBA. 

I went straight into my first master's after I finished my undergraduate.  I didn't get a first professional job until  a semester before I finished the master's program.  I didn't have a hard time getting a job, but got paid a lot less than my friends who finished the BS program with me, and decided not to go on with a master's.  I was getting ~50k.  They were already up to ~70-80k.

Why am I going for my second degree?  I can easily make a nice 6 figure salary in my current field, given that I continue to live in the USA.  The downside is the field is only present in developed countries.  I think I've always had a niche for business so I went for the MBA.  It also makes me a lot more marketable having been educated in a scientific field and bsuienss field.  Truthfully, I enjoy it a whole lot more than my former programs, both undergrad and graduate.  I met and network with folks from around the world.  I have a business plan I'm concocting so we will see how that goes.

wj4. What made you jump straight into a graduate program after undergrad? Grad school is usually extremely expensive. I know a lot of companies around here pay for graduate school, that's what I plan on doing.

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by eiddyfouw

Originally Posted by wj4

Hi Eiddy,

My first master's is a Master's of Science in the field of Environmental & Occupational Health.  This was the same field as my BS.  I'm currently working on my MBA. 

I went straight into my first master's after I finished my undergraduate.  I didn't get a first professional job until  a semester before I finished the master's program.  I didn't have a hard time getting a job, but got paid a lot less than my friends who finished the BS program with me, and decided not to go on with a master's.  I was getting ~50k.  They were already up to ~70-80k.

Why am I going for my second degree?  I can easily make a nice 6 figure salary in my current field, given that I continue to live in the USA.  The downside is the field is only present in developed countries.  I think I've always had a niche for business so I went for the MBA.  It also makes me a lot more marketable having been educated in a scientific field and bsuienss field.  Truthfully, I enjoy it a whole lot more than my former programs, both undergrad and graduate.  I met and network with folks from around the world.  I have a business plan I'm concocting so we will see how that goes.

Nice post and a good read. 

Definitely recommend getting some real world experience after getting your BA/BS and having a coporpration/federal agency pay for your Masters. 

Originally Posted by omgitswes

wj4. What made you jump straight into a graduate program after undergrad? Grad school is usually extremely expensive. I know a lot of companies around here pay for graduate school, that's what I plan on doing.
Grad schools are not all expensive.  I went to a state university.  I paid $3,000 or so for 1 semester.  The whole MS program cost less than $15,000 for me.  I just wanted to continue learning.

I'm at work now and don't really have a lot of time to type up a coherent response.  I will chime in later tonight.  I learned a lot throughout the year few years, stuff that school can't ever teach me.  I wish to share that with my younger bros, hopefully it will make an impact on someone.  This is partially why I returned to NT as well.

Congratulations.

I did terrible on the GRE too, but still got accepted @ UCSD.
I'll be doing a masters in CS with a specialization in computer graphics.

I haven't been in school for a year, so I am a little uneasy about going back. I am starting this fall quarter. So until then, I'm just trying to live it up a bit.

I'm gonna be in medical school this fall at Yale. People always make fun of the debt I'll be in but being a doctor is something I want to do and I have no undergraduate debt at all so it's fine with me.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

i'm awaiting the rejection letter from UTD...

enrolling in a lesser program and will transfer 6 hours after a retake my gmat in octover...

gonna have my Masters in Finance by 25...

sidenote: they said i'd be eligible for the Masters in marketing... but i already have an undergrad in that...

and the job market is kinda bare.

frown.gif
frown.gif

I thought about getting a masters in RF Engineering, but then realized that two more years of school was going to make me chew my throat off.

Congrats man.
I wish I were as lucky (spoiler tag if anyone cares to read it)
Spoiler [+]
I just got my rejection letter from Hofstra
frown.gif
and I'm waiting for NYU Poly to respond back... but damn, my professor only sent the letter of recommendation to Hofstra and she's ignoring my messages about the missing letter to NYU Poly. Now I'm stuck trying to see if I can submit a letter some other way...

Congratulations.

As a current Master of Arts candidate, a word of advice: Be prepared. Grad school requires significantly more, and higher quality, work than undergrad.

Very motivating thread
pimp.gif

Just finished my Bachelors this past December and I'm currently taking a short break from schooling. I will definitely enroll in a graduate program when I am financially ready.

Wj4, I look forward to hearing more about your experience.

I submitted my masters thesis yesterday,

walking across the UCLA podium next Saturday.

My experience was wonderful.
Sure, a masters degree gives you the potential to make more money,
but I found that the true value lies in the plethora options you now have.

1) I can consult at my own leisure
2) Find a real 9-5 and be able to use this paper certificate as a bargaining chip
3) Pursue 'academia' aka research as a PhD

The diploma's going to be a nice little 24th birthday gift to myself

Back
Top Bottom