**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

KCP is a dawg on defense. No pun intended. Perfect compliment to Zo as he gets acclimated, now we can put KCP on the best perimeter player instead. :smokin

Love the move.

Invest in young talent and if you strike out on PG we should have a good young core there.

Hell, I'll even forgive them for moving D'lo.... hate it had to be him, but it's done and KCP can hoop too so not all "young core" hope is lost.

A+ move

Finally signed a ******* player. Afraid to even ask for another one.

Last edited:
I like the fit, but am more intrigued if he or Brooke can be flipped at the deadline. Neither player benefits us after this year unless we strike out again. But of the 2, I like KCP more than Brooke, no doubt.

I have a feeling Clarkson will end up getting traded with Deng if it happens. He's on a pretty good deal for a player of his caliber.

So it seems that not only will kcps money affect nwaba, but it could also affect the type of deal we give TB31

Man, not my nwaba

Last edited:
So it seems that not only will kcps money affect nwaba, but it could also affect the type of deal we give TB31

Man, not my nwaba

Read Eric Pincus on twitter saying if they waive Nwaba, KCP gets more $, potential longer deal for TB and a chance of signing Nwaba back IF he clears waivers.

Thats the crap i hate about kcp stories. Dude didnt lock curry at all. In any game. Even that game curry had 25-8-3 and went 47% and 56% from 3. Dudes stay gassing popes defense. Bro aint make no nba defensive teams. Ever.

1. Agreed to a reported one-year, $18 million deal with guard Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

Once the Hawks used part of their cap space to sign Dedmon, this seemed like an inevitable outcome. There were no teams left on the market with sufficient cap space and need to offer Caldwell-Pope a long-term deal that would make sense for him, so taking a lucrative one-year deal made sense.

From the Lakers' standpoint, a one-year deal was the way to go. Given the possibility of adding Paul George and LeBron James next season, however remote the latter part of that, adding salary beyond this season would be reckless at best and destructive at worst. And while the Lakers could have split that money among a handful of players, there was no available player better than Caldwell-Pope, my top remaining free agent before he signed.

Adding Caldwell-Pope does mean a bit of a crowd in the backcourt, and the main potential downside of the move is cutting the minutes of rookie Josh Hart, particularly if the Lakers end up adding a backup point guard and Jordan Clarkson serves primarily as Caldwell-Pope's backup. That's a worth risk taking to be more competitive this season, particularly with the Lakers already out their draft pick no matter what.

I do wonder whether Caldwell-Pope will actually find the market more robust next summer. Even once the Detroit Pistons pulled his qualifying offer, making him an unrestricted free agent, teams didn't seem to value Caldwell-Pope as highly as expected based on his age, ability to capably defend either guard spot and solid 3-point shooting last season.

Caldwell-Pope would be a great fit for the Philadelphia 76ers, who will have cap space available, but he might be their second choice if Avery Bradley leaves the Detroit Pistons. We'll see if Caldwell-Pope taking a one-year deal ultimately works out.
http://insider.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/19966056/nba-free-agency-2017-best-worst-moves-day-11

Great signing by magic. Nice job getting someone to take that 1 year deal. Maybe KCP will fit long term

Not gonna front like I watch Pistons games so I can't really praise or hate this move until I see him play. Losing nwaba is not good if kcp really sucks like freeze says because he's our best perimeter defender. If kcp can somehow be flipped with Deng it makes it worthwhile regardless what he does on court

Cranjis McBurnItDown‏
@T1m_NBA
KCP

62nd best SG in DRPM
22nd %ile ODR

20th %ile driving D
10th %ile iso D
39th %ile off screen D

I have concerns about that defense

Cranjis McBurnItDown‏ @T1m_NBA 35m35 minutes ago
More
Replying to @T1m_NBA
39th %ile jump shooting D
26th %ile off dribble D
7th %ile mid range D
11th %ile floater D
13th %ile post D
35th %ile spot up D

Cranjis McBurnItDown‏ @T1m_NBA 31m31 minutes ago

Positives from KCP's defense:

82nd %ile guarded catch and shoot defense

Best PnR defense on team (although just in 42nd %ile)

Cranjis McBurnItDown‏ @T1m_NBA 31m31 minutes ago

39th %ile for overall PnR offense when you incorporate passes as well. 13th %ile on those pass outs

Cranjis McBurnItDown‏ @T1m_NBA 27m27 minutes ago
More
KCP was 9th worst in driving efficiency of the 210 players who had 100+ drives last season

Cranjis McBurnItDown‏ @T1m_NBA 23m23 minutes ago

Back
Top Bottom