**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

it's all such a crap shoot with the draft

we have all these young guys on our team hoping ONE of them becomes a perennial all star or super star type

then you have stars like Kawhi who nobody projected would be a superstar Finals MVP coming out of college

I always prefer going the route of acquiring established proven players rather than take our chances hoping young talent will flourish

If Butler and Paul George can be had for our top 3 pick on draft day, I'm all for trading it
That's what the people who settle for mediocrity do....HOPE and pray. Like hoping the Warriors will "get old" in 4-5 years time and praying by 2021 the Lakers' young core will be ready to take em down because Steph and Durant will be in their 30s. LOL

You think Magic was hired just to be a stinkin' mascot?!? 
laugh.gif

He's there to set Jim straight, work with Mitch so Mitch will wake up, and most importantly he's there so the Lakers can BE MORE AGGRESSIVE when it comes to improving their team sooner than later.

What do you think the Celtics have done? Be aggressive - went out and acquired a SOLID player in Isaiah Thomas, and next thing you know Thomas didn't have to share the rock with Bledsoe and Dragic and became an MVP candidate in one year's time. Celtics knew BEFOREHAND what they were getting with Baby Zeke but because they were aggressive in the trade market, they scored big time.

Then they go out and aggressively pursue HORFORD, an established All-Star caliber center. Mix in with their past draft picks and the Celtics have a VERY SOLID playoff contender in the East which, imo, is the second best squad in their conference.

As much as I hate the Celtics, I admire what Ainge has done with the team since KG, Pierce, Allen, and Rondo left. What the Lakers have done in the last 4 years is embarrassing when you compare the two teams.

You think the Celtics are just there to wait for the Cavs to get old? Wrong. They want to BEAT CLEVELAND, and will set out to create a roster to accomplish it. 

To think the Lakers should sit back and wait for the Warriors to get old and for their reign to end is a loser mindset. The Lakers should be doing everything in their power to make sure they have a roster than can beat GSW sooner than later.

Best believe the Lakers are about to make big moves some time within the next calendar year.

Last edited:
the celtics got rid of KG, Allen and Pierce (their Kobe) for assets
would you have preferred we let Kobe go or trade him for picks? the fan base would have erupted if that happened

giving him that contract was a mistake and letting Gasol and Dwight walk for nothing were mistakes

What's done is done, but there's no one that's attainable that would allow us to compete with Durant, Steph, Klay and Draymond for years to come.

Even if we had Westbrook, PG and Butler, still wouldn't be enough.

I thought they were making big moves at this coming trade deadline? Your barbershop sources giving you different intel now?

Y'all wait and see.

In the meantime you can sit there and continue wondering who my "barbershop" sources are.

You didn't answer the question. Trade deadline is only 2 weeks away what star are we acquiring?

Last edited:
would you have preferred we let Kobe go or trade him for picks? the fan base would have erupted if that happened

giving him that contract was a mistake and letting Gasol and Dwight walk for nothing were mistakes

What's done is done, but there's no one that's attainable that would allow us to compete with Durant, Steph, Klay and Draymond for years to come.

I'm not talking about Kobe. I'm talking about what the Lakers SHOULD do NOW, which is to model their growth after the Celtics, who used a combination of young assets (Smart, Bradley, Olinyk, Crowder) and stars (Thomas and Horford) to build a contender.

Don't you remember how they acquired Thomas? They did it during MIDSEASON and traded away a draft pick plus a player they had no need for (Thornton). The Thomas acquisition started their ascent and Horford came to Boston largely because the team already had an All-Star caliber PG on the roster he knew he could play with. BOSTON WAS AGGRESSIVE because they wanted to build a playoff team as soon as possible.

On paper, NOBOD has a roster that's as formidable as the Warriors. But the point is this: You build a team that CAN COMPETE with them, and the ONLY way to do so is to acquire one or two proven stars, whether it's a Tier 1 or Tier 2 star player. My other point is this: You DO NOT WAIT 4-5 years and hope the Warriors "get old" and pray DLo, Randle, and Clarkson will be good enough to compete with the upper echelon of the NBA.

You didn't answer the question. Trade deadline is only 2 weeks away what star are we acquiring?
I told you before it happened that Mitch and Jim were going to be on that POR-UTAH trip didn't I?

So now it's time for you to wait and see and continue reading "Barbershop Talk"

Last edited:
it's all such a crap shoot with the draft

we have all these young guys on our team hoping ONE of them becomes a perennial all star or super star type

then you have stars like Kawhi who nobody projected would be a superstar Finals MVP coming out of college

I always prefer going the route of acquiring established proven players rather than take our chances hoping young talent will flourish

If Butler and Paul George can be had for our top 3 pick on draft day, I'm all for trading it
Yea I think we'll be aggressive if we keep the pick but you're not getting Butler or George for just the pick.

Last year the Bulls wanted the 5th pick AND LaVine. So it would be the pick and Randle at the very least.

Also, the top 3 pick probably has a higher ceiling than any of our current guys.

I'm not in a rush to move any of them. 

Dlo / Top 3 pick / BI / Randle / Free agent plus Zu Nance Clarkson and Deng off the bench. I'd be more than happy with that.

Can anyone with college ball knowledge give the scoop on Josh Jackson?

I saw a game and his jumper look broke af...
I get a MKG or Justise Winslow vibe. Athletic, high motor player, tough defender, makes winning plays, decent ball skills.
and  if he works on his shot he can become a hof player like  a jason kidd or scottie pippen

word to whip

Last edited:
Keeping this pick also allows us to keep our pick in 2019. So say if the Bulls do decide to move Jimmy, we could theoretically make it happen with the 2019 pick/Randle/Lou/Black type package.

Keeping this pick also allows us to keep our pick in 2019. So say if the Bulls do decide to move Jimmy, we could theoretically make it happen with the 2019 pick/Randle/Lou/Black type package.
Philly gets our 18 pick, can't trade another 1st till 2020.

If we keep the 17 pick, next year (18) is unprotected. You can't trade consecutive 1st rounders, so it would have to be 2020.

I know that's the case but I'm not sure it applies in draft protections, you may be right though. My understanding is that since we don't have a selection in 18 and own our pick in 19 outright that we could use it in a deal.

I'm not talking about Kobe. I'm talking about what the Lakers SHOULD do NOW, which is to model their growth after the Celtics, who used a combination of young assets (Smart, Bradley, Olinyk, Crowder) and stars (Thomas and Horford) to build a contender.

Don't you remember how they acquired Thomas? They did it during MIDSEASON and traded away a draft pick plus a player they had no need for (Thornton). The Thomas acquisition started their ascent and Horford came to Boston largely because the team already had an All-Star caliber PG on the roster he knew he could play with. BOSTON WAS AGGRESSIVE because they wanted to build a playoff team as soon as possible.

On paper, NOBOD has a roster that's as formidable as the Warriors. But the point is this: You build a team that CAN COMPETE with them, and the ONLY way to do so is to acquire one or two proven stars, whether it's a Tier 1 or Tier 2 star player. My other point is this: You DO NOT WAIT 4-5 years and hope the Warriors "get old" and pray DLo, Randle, and Clarkson will be good enough to compete with the upper echelon of the NBA.
Modelling after Boston would mean developing young players (Smart, Bradley, Olynyk, Brown), acquiring high upside guys on cheap contracts in their prime (IT and Crowder), overpaying for the final piece (Horford) and having a great young coach to make it all work.

They had a chance to trade a lot of their assets for Butler and didn't do it. If PG was available don't you think Bird would rather send him to his boy Danny Ainge before talking to us?

No one knew Thomas would be this good, he was never considered a star player. 

They hired a really good young coach, developed the team over time, made smart moves then were able to get the "missing piece" in Horford. And they still have all of their picks, so if they really want to go all in they can.

They did exactly the opposite of what you want the Lakers to do.

If we keep the 17 pick, next year (18) is unprotected. You can't trade consecutive 1st rounders, so it would have to be 2020.

I know that's the case but I'm not sure it applies in draft protections, you may be right though. My understanding is that since we don't have a selection in 18 and own our pick in 19 outright that we could use it in a deal.

No, because 2018 is gone, we wouldn't be able to flip a back to back first rounder, no matter if we own it outright. UNLESS, we acquired an extra 2019, then I think we could trade the lesser of the two, or higher, whichever could be agreed upon.

Well we either keep the 17 pick and lose 18 or lose the 17 pick and lose 19. So either way we can't trade till 2020 or 2021.

If we dealt a future 1st I think the language would have to be "Two years after the 2018 or 2019 pick is conveyed" or something like that.

The only thing I'm wondering is if we acquire a 2018 1st, does that satisfy the Stepien Rule? Could we then trade our 2019 pick?

Well we either keep the 17 pick and lose 18 or lose the 17 pick and lose 19. So either way we can't trade till 2020 or 2021.

If we dealt a future 1st I think the language would have to be "Two years after the 2018 or 2019 pick is conveyed" or something like that.

The only thing I'm wondering is if we acquire a 2018 1st, does that satisfy the Stepien Rule? Could we then trade our 2019 pick?

I think that could work, yes. As long as a team uses a first round pick the year prior, as far as I remember.

Modelling after Boston would mean developing young players (Smart, Bradley, Olynyk, Brown), acquiring high upside guys on cheap contracts in their prime (IT and Crowder), overpaying for the final piece (Horford) and having a great young coach to make it all work.

They had a chance to trade a lot of their assets for Butler and didn't do it. If PG was available don't you think Bird would rather send him to his boy Danny Ainge before talking to us?

No one knew Thomas would be this good, he was never considered a star player. 

They hired a really good young coach, developed the team over time, made smart moves then were able to get the "missing piece" in Horford. And they still have all of their picks, so if they really want to go all in they can.

They did exactly the opposite of what you want the Lakers to do.
First off, Boston KNEW Thomas would be this good. He already showed flashed in Sacramento, AND did more of the same in PHO. The problem was that he shared the rock with Bledsoe AND Dragic. Boston took advantage and got him cheap and it's PHO who are the idiots for letting him go. But I get it, PHO preferred Bledsoe.

Secondly, LAL did NOT have a chance to trade assets for Butler because for one thing, CHI wasn't ready to let him go once they realized the prospects of teaming up Butler with Wade and Rondo. That plan seems to be backfiring and now Butler is in trade rumors once again.

If PG were available, yes Bird would rather send him to BOS but that doesn't mean Bird wouldn't talk to Magic and Mitch either if the Lakers are offering young assets such as DLo, Randle, Ingram, or Clarkson. 

Bos hired a really good young coach. Lakers have done the same albeit a bit later than Boston doing it. Bos developed a team over a span of a couple years after Rondo, the last remnant of their championship team, left. Lakers have been doing the same the last two years. Bos made smart moves since Rondo left, one of which was acquiring Thomas, the other which was signing Horford. The Lakers have NOT done anything comparable the last two years, going on 3 years now, since the rebuilding project has been in full effect.

Bos still has a lot of draft picks because Ainge stockpiled them since 2012-13, the moment he realized the Celtics were in rebuilding phase. In 2012, the Lakers were still trying to remain competitive with Howard, Gasol, Nash, Kobe so their rebuilding efforts came later than Boston's. 

Therefore, the Lakers are also now in prime position to begin acquiring star pieces to complement Ingram, Nance, Zubac just as BOS was in prime position to acquire Crowder in 2014, Thomas in 2015 and Horford in 2016 to complement Bradley, Olynyk, and Smart after a couple of years of stockpiling picks and posting losing records. 

Contrary to your opinion, what I want the Lakers to do is EXACTLY what BOS has done in the last several years. The only difference is BOS has more draft picks to play with. Therefore it's even more imperative that the Lakers act aggressively and take the risk in dealing 2-3 players from their young core in order to acquire 1 or possibly 2 stars.

Unless we absolutely HAVE to take Jackson cause Ball and Fultz are gone, I wouldn't do it.

Back
Top Bottom