[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters
Starting number is always the same. Raises and years are what differs from current team and new team.

Yea that's what I wanted to know ie Dwight signed with HOU for 4 yrs 88 mil. Offered 5 yrs 138 mil. I was just wondering the breakdown as far as the raises. I know you had something on Twitter about Melo's salary breakdown if he resigned as a FA with the Knicks, I just don't know the figures related to Love since he hasn't been in the league as long.

So if the starting number is the same for Love in 2015 regardless of whether he resigns as our own guy after a trade, or as a FA. How does that handicap us going forward outside of having theoretically a (Randle or Smart) if we drop out of the top 4 vs. the extra 3-4 mil those guys would be on the cap and being able to resign them 3-4 years down the line?

We need this pick to hit, and hit big, so we can get that designated 6 year extension and truly build off him.

(The one Anthony Davis will deserve, but unknown if he'll want it from New Orleans the way they're going)

And the 2 plus 2 team option years show how easy it is to get out from under a bust, so even if the pick misses, the damage is minimal compared to 90 million guaranteed to a vet that could win the same amount as a busted rookie.

How does that handicap us going forward outside of having theoretically a (Randle or Smart) if we drop out of the top 4 vs. the extra 3-4 mil those guys would be on the cap and being able to resign them 3-4 years down the line?

You can go OVER the cap with the rookie deal when extension time comes.

You can not go over the cap with Love and adding another FA.

Players signed outright (ie via free agency) are eligible for 4 years, with 4.5% raises.

Players signed via Bird Rights are eligible for 5 years, with 7.5% raises.

If the Lakers trade for him now then re-sign him, or S&T with the Wolves, then there's more money/cap space that could be spent on him with the bigger raises. Possibly affecting 2016

Last edited:
Of course I want an All-Star, if not a superstar, but even if Prospect X busts and becomes "just" a rotation player, I'll be content.

The Lakers need someone to help be part of a core moving forward.

Why does Hoopshype have Love as signed for 2015/16 with no player or team option? Some sort of error?

Marc, LMA, and Rondo all look right, but they have Love as signed til the 2016 offseason. (with Durant)

Of course I want an All-Star, if not a superstar, but even if Prospect X busts and becomes "just" a rotation player, I'll be content.

They Lakers need someone to help be part of a core moving forward.

They got a team full of fellas like that now... Only thing missing is a superstar

Most the roster is top 10 picks from the past 5 or 6 drafts :lol:

Last edited:
You can go OVER the cap with the rookie deal when extension time comes.

You can not go over the cap with Love and adding another FA.

I understand that, I'm speaking specifically on 2015 and 2016.

In the summer of 2015 assuming we trade for Love in this draft (Love at (18 million)+Kobe (25 million)] = 43 million; about 20 million under the cap, enough to sign another max if wanted or spread it out (Rondo, LMA, Marc or whoever)

In the summer of 2015 assuming we draft Randle and get Love as a free agent (Love-18 million+Kobe-25 million+rookie-3 million)]= 46 million; about 17 million under the cap, maybe enough to sign another max if wanted or spread it out.

In the summer of 2016 in either scenario (Love+rookie) or just Love himself = 23-25 million since Kobe is off the books and 40 million in cap to go after KD or whoever if they don't sign a guy in 2015.

Yes, if we get a top 4 pick yes keep it and hope Love still comes and we can get maybe Rondo in 2015 as the second near max guy. But if it's not one of those guys I'm saying I don't have a problem with them trading the pick for Love cause in the immediate short term and in 2016, it doesn't hurt us. I don't believe anybody outside of those top 4 guys is worth the trouble. The 3-4 mil that rookie is taking up can be used on a vet that's ready to help us win now and possibly accelerate the process or give 1 year deals to these young guys that we have now.

Last edited:

They Lakers need someone to help be part of a core moving forward.

They got a team full of fellas like that now... Only thing missing is a superstar

Most the roster is top 10 picks from the past 5 or 6 drafts :lol:
Okay, maybe I just want a starter then. :lol:

But seriously, Hill is a good third big at best to me. Wes stinks, fringe rotation player. X is alright, not sure what to make of him just yet really. Marshall's assist numbers are inflated, but he seems like a decent backup on a good team.

"Just" a starter but with youth, upside, AND value.

That's not something you can replicate outside of the draft.

Lakers need this pick. The guy doesn't need to be a superstar to be a savior.

Last edited:
Yea I just read that 4.5% vs 7.5% raise

So say Love starts at 18 mil in 2015 that goes to 18.8 in 2016 to 19.6 mil in 2017 if he signs as a FA .

If we trade for him he starts at 18 mil in 2015 that goes to 19.35 mil in 2016, to 20.8 mil in 2017.

But if the rookie is on the books, that still takes 3-4 mil (on the cap) that won't be able to used to sign Durant for 2016-2017 season going forward, right?

Last edited:
I Randle falls to us we gotta get him.  If not him then Smart or Exum.  Embiid already getting hurt at 19 is not a good look for a 82 game schedule on a team that's injury prone

So say Love starts at 18 mil in 2015 that goes to 18.8 in 2016 if he signs as a FA .

If we trade he starts at 18 mil in 2015 that goes to 19.35 mil in 2016.

But if the rookie is on the books, that still takes 3-4 mil that won't be able to used to sign Durant, right?

Yeah.

But if that were the case I think the Lakers would be able to unload the guy if they really needed the money, a la the Heat selling Beasley for a second rounder

So say Love starts at 18 mil in 2015 that goes to 18.8 in 2016 if he signs as a FA .

If we trade he starts at 18 mil in 2015 that goes to 19.35 mil in 2016.

But if the rookie is on the books, that still takes 3-4 mil that won't be able to used to sign Durant, right?

Yeah.

But if that were the case I think the Lakers would be able to unload the guy if they really needed the money, a la the Heat selling Beasley for a second rounder

Yes, but with Kobe off books, no need for the 3-4 mil from the rookie AND it would be team option after his first two years anyway. Could decline option if he busts, or sell like the Beasley case you brought up.

Why does Hoopshype have Love as signed for 2015/16 with no player or team option? Some sort of error?

Marc, LMA, and Rondo all look right, but they have Love as signed til the 2016 offseason. (with Durant)
been like that for months...

Yes, but with Kobe off books, no need for the 3-4 mil from the rookie AND it would be team option after his first two years anyway. Could decline option if he busts, or sell like the Beasley case you brought up.

So in actuality getting Love now vs later, doesn't cripple us to do the 2015 and 2016 master plans, correct? If he's a bust we can get rid of him, just like he was never there in the first place :wink: (if it's not Wiggins, Exum, Parker or Embiid)

I think I do.

Trade the pick, get Love now. Still have room for another max or near max (Rondo, LMA, Marc in 2015) and go after KD in 2016.

Don't trade the pick, get Love in 2015 and another near max (Rondo, LMA, Marc) and go after KD in 2016.

Two different paths to the same outcome. Love+Durant+2015 near max or max at the start of the 2016-2017 season.

Caveat being the pick is not top 4 this draft and the rookie we draft ends up not working out. Now getting Minny to take that is an entirely different issue, but if that presented itself, you wouldn't want to do it CP?

Last edited:
No.

All eggs in one basket (Love-Durant) leaves no backup.

Pick ceiling, salary flexibility, leaves an out. In case Durant rather play in DC, etc.

Also, Love + 2015 near max + Durant = ZERO ability to go above tax. 9 other minimum salary types. No bueno.

Last edited:
There'd still be a guy we get in 2015 in either scenario (Rondo, Marc, LMA) that's not eggs in one basket. There's a 1-2 million dollar difference in Love's contract if I did my math right. That's not handicapping or lacking flexibility on either account. It's all about how the guy we pick turns out in those 1st 2 seasons, you're hoping he turns out to be a stud, I'm expecting him if it's not one of those 4 guys to not. And his rookie extension wouldn't even be up until 2018 anyway, when we'd know whether we get Durant or not and proceed accordingly form there.

For reference look at Dion Waiters: Cavs drafted 4th overall: contract is 3.7 (rookie year), 3.9 (this season), 4.0 (next season) and 5.1 (team option) that's his 4th year in the league, 4 years before he becomes a restricted FA.

Or assuming we draft at 5 just look at Alex Len: contract is 3.5 (rookie year), 3.6 (next season), team options for 3.8 and 4.8 the 3rd and 4th years (RFA in 2017)

If we draft Randle: he won't be a RFA until 2018 and we should know if he can play by the time 2016 rolls around. You can tell pretty quick see Anthony Davis.

Last edited:
:lol:

Ok. I'm very sure I have no idea which plan you're using, so ok. I approve, whatever you're doing. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom