Lately, Nike has been coming out with overly flexible shoes that cause Plantar fasciitis. Why?

truth is nike is making the newer models for the nba players, before a game they are tapping their ankles and even adding there own insoles to the models so when they ask kobe and durant what they want in a shoe they are only thinking about losing ankle support and making the shoe lighter, nike then cuts the ankle suport and midsole support to make the shoe lighter, I had my ankles tapped before and it almost feels like a light cast around your foot and ankle.

with that being said my friend is on the heavy side and he plays in the kobe v's and he gets shin splints and shoes hurt his feet, its not built for him he needs to wear lebrons or older nike models.

Never been a guard, so I have not messed with the super flexible/super light shoes but it seems like the number of people for whom these shoes actually make a difference is very limited and for the rest of us the potential harms far outweigh the potential benefits? 

But I guess its get to the heart of the business model - if its good enough for Kobe, it HAS to be good enough for me.

Never been a guard, so I have not messed with the super flexible/super light shoes but it seems like the number of people for whom these shoes actually make a difference is very limited and for the rest of us the potential harms far outweigh the potential benefits? 

But I guess its get to the heart of the business model - if its good enough for Kobe, it HAS to be good enough for me.

Originally Posted by nflowshoe

truth is nike is making the newer models for the nba players, before a game they are tapping their ankles and even adding there own insoles to the models so when they ask kobe and durant what they want in a shoe they are only thinking about losing ankle support and making the shoe lighter, nike then cuts the ankle suport and midsole support to make the shoe lighter, I had my ankles tapped before and it almost feels like a light cast around your foot and ankle.

with that being said my friend is on the heavy side and he plays in the kobe v's and he gets shin splints and shoes hurt his feet, its not built for him he needs to wear lebrons or older nike models.

You are beyond incorrect. Well, I guess some of what you said is right. Nike IS "making new models" and players DO "tape their ankles and wear insoles".

Originally Posted by nflowshoe

You are beyond incorrect. Well, I guess some of what you said is right. Nike IS "making new models" and players DO "tape their ankles and wear insoles".

its not just about the flexibility. It goes much deeper than that. Many products now feature no type of forefoot air and Nike is claiming flexibility is at an all time high. It's like they've gone with the MAX AIR. 360 air, all around AIR combination in an marketing sense, and now want to go with the flexibility protocol, even though it may not be better on the foot.

It's a sad reality.. Are they really making the best shoe possible for these activities? or exactly what they want to currently market out to people?

its not just about the flexibility. It goes much deeper than that. Many products now feature no type of forefoot air and Nike is claiming flexibility is at an all time high. It's like they've gone with the MAX AIR. 360 air, all around AIR combination in an marketing sense, and now want to go with the flexibility protocol, even though it may not be better on the foot.

It's a sad reality.. Are they really making the best shoe possible for these activities? or exactly what they want to currently market out to people?

never balled in hyperizes, dont think i would either..

although i would love a lighter shoe, lighter doesn't always = better.

loving the route lebron is heading with air max. comfy, stability and strong.

never balled in hyperizes, dont think i would either..

although i would love a lighter shoe, lighter doesn't always = better.

loving the route lebron is heading with air max. comfy, stability and strong.

Well, like the topic of what running shoe is best for someone, there is way more to this plantar fasciitis issue than flexibility of the shoe. I've had battled this problem for several years, and a lot of my problem came from overly stiff basketball shoes. More than that though, I needed orthotics to help my foot move properly. I needed a lot more flexibility in my shoe, but other people need more rigidity. Just like a running shoe, it can depend on foot mechanics, body style, running style, and maybe just a case of over training syndrome, which was another one of my problems.

If you look at the Kobe V, it seems to bend in the wrong area, but this shoe fits me so well and has enough support that I love this shoe and have no problems at all. On the other hand, every Lebron I have tried failed terribly? In fact, it's the 20.5.5's along with some Flightposite 1's that gave me chronic fasciitis problems. At least, that's what I was wearing at the time.

Well, like the topic of what running shoe is best for someone, there is way more to this plantar fasciitis issue than flexibility of the shoe. I've had battled this problem for several years, and a lot of my problem came from overly stiff basketball shoes. More than that though, I needed orthotics to help my foot move properly. I needed a lot more flexibility in my shoe, but other people need more rigidity. Just like a running shoe, it can depend on foot mechanics, body style, running style, and maybe just a case of over training syndrome, which was another one of my problems.

If you look at the Kobe V, it seems to bend in the wrong area, but this shoe fits me so well and has enough support that I love this shoe and have no problems at all. On the other hand, every Lebron I have tried failed terribly? In fact, it's the 20.5.5's along with some Flightposite 1's that gave me chronic fasciitis problems. At least, that's what I was wearing at the time.

Overly flexible for whom? Not sure of who else in the NBA wears Hyperizes but not everyone is getting injured <?>

It's a slippery slope as to who or what is to blame; taking into account a gruelling 82+ game schedule when NOT on the DL or rehabbing an injury, each players individual physiology, the fact that the human foot/body is subjected to the explosive stress/lateral/medial/vertical stresses that occur in a basketball game on a hardwood floor, etc. (those pictures are disturbing) & the fact that Nike is marketing these shoes to the average weekend warrior...

Maybe they should look at changing the actual court surface? They did it for track & field, why not b-ball? (thinking outside the box, just a suggestion)

I'm thinking that for a lot of the time R&D & wear-testing can only go so far. I'm guessing that the wear testing at the NBA level only happens so much & we've all heard about how some players go through one pair a game based on how hard they use the shoe.
 Then you have marketing to live up to, deadlines to meet, PR campaigns linked to a particular athlete, etc. Don't think Nike is stupid not running the numbers on the injuries vs. the # of casual ballers that wear these that don't suffer injuries. Unless a significant # of complaints come pouring in I don't see a recall on the horizon.

Remember the OG Jordan Trunner LX? I wore the hell out of mine until I saw the recall notice that the metal moldable heel clip was cutting some people's heels badly. They then switched the metal to plastic & the complaints went away.

I think it just comes down to poor choices in footwear for your playing position or weight or style of play, IN conjunction with faulty footwear or wearing footwear that (may) exacerbate a pre-existing condition/injury or increase susceptibility to them.

Overly flexible for whom? Not sure of who else in the NBA wears Hyperizes but not everyone is getting injured <?>

It's a slippery slope as to who or what is to blame; taking into account a gruelling 82+ game schedule when NOT on the DL or rehabbing an injury, each players individual physiology, the fact that the human foot/body is subjected to the explosive stress/lateral/medial/vertical stresses that occur in a basketball game on a hardwood floor, etc. (those pictures are disturbing) & the fact that Nike is marketing these shoes to the average weekend warrior...

Maybe they should look at changing the actual court surface? They did it for track & field, why not b-ball? (thinking outside the box, just a suggestion)

I'm thinking that for a lot of the time R&D & wear-testing can only go so far. I'm guessing that the wear testing at the NBA level only happens so much & we've all heard about how some players go through one pair a game based on how hard they use the shoe.
 Then you have marketing to live up to, deadlines to meet, PR campaigns linked to a particular athlete, etc. Don't think Nike is stupid not running the numbers on the injuries vs. the # of casual ballers that wear these that don't suffer injuries. Unless a significant # of complaints come pouring in I don't see a recall on the horizon.

Remember the OG Jordan Trunner LX? I wore the hell out of mine until I saw the recall notice that the metal moldable heel clip was cutting some people's heels badly. They then switched the metal to plastic & the complaints went away.

I think it just comes down to poor choices in footwear for your playing position or weight or style of play, IN conjunction with faulty footwear or wearing footwear that (may) exacerbate a pre-existing condition/injury or increase susceptibility to them.

I think Nike is trying to cut cost. Everything is going up in price from a production standpoint so they simply can't afford to sell a shoe with this large expensive carbon fiber plate at $120
anymore. Just look at the size of the plate on current Nike shoes compared to some of Nike's older shoes just 5-6 years ago. They put that little Carbon Fiber plate in there for marketing purposes only. When consumers sees that glimpse of carbon fiber plate at the bottom they automatically assume that the shoe will have good mid-foot support, not knowing that the carbon fiber plate needs to be fairly big to work at its best.

I think Nike is trying to cut cost. Everything is going up in price from a production standpoint so they simply can't afford to sell a shoe with this large expensive carbon fiber plate at $120
anymore. Just look at the size of the plate on current Nike shoes compared to some of Nike's older shoes just 5-6 years ago. They put that little Carbon Fiber plate in there for marketing purposes only. When consumers sees that glimpse of carbon fiber plate at the bottom they automatically assume that the shoe will have good mid-foot support, not knowing that the carbon fiber plate needs to be fairly big to work at its best.

Flexible running shoes are great for me. Since I switched to free 5.0s when they were introduced no more arch supports need and no more knee pain after running my half marathons. Haven't tried any of the recent stuff Nike basketball is pushing. Just bb3s

Flexible running shoes are great for me. Since I switched to free 5.0s when they were introduced no more arch supports need and no more knee pain after running my half marathons. Haven't tried any of the recent stuff Nike basketball is pushing. Just bb3s

Thank You for all the feedback guys. I wish there was carbon fiber on the hyperdunk 2010. It is unacceptable for a shoe to be able to bend in half.

Thank You for all the feedback guys. I wish there was carbon fiber on the hyperdunk 2010. It is unacceptable for a shoe to be able to bend in half.

Originally Posted by reggie2k8

Isn't it all made in China?

Originally Posted by reggie2k8

Isn't it all made in China?

Just read the article where this Professor K guy rips Reebok for doing the same thing. As long as Nike does it, it must be okay. This is why I never follow these so called "experts" and their opinions, and then is why I never believe the hype that gets placed on a shoe, which goes on here in Nike Talk. This spot is cool to see upcoming releases of shoes, but you'd be a fool if you didn't think that Nike uses this place to drum up support for their poorly made product.

Just read the article where this Professor K guy rips Reebok for doing the same thing. As long as Nike does it, it must be okay. This is why I never follow these so called "experts" and their opinions, and then is why I never believe the hype that gets placed on a shoe, which goes on here in Nike Talk. This spot is cool to see upcoming releases of shoes, but you'd be a fool if you didn't think that Nike uses this place to drum up support for their poorly made product.

Back
Top Bottom