Laundry question: Plain whites & Whites with designs

So this has always been a problem I've had whenever I wash my white clothes. I know the traditional way to wash white clothes is with hot/warm water, but I'm afraid to mix the load of plain white tees with something like a white Crooks & Castles tee with a black/red/blue/whatever design on it, or something as simple as a white tank top with a navy lining around the sleeve/neck. I end up mixing and washing with cold water, and I feel like I'm not washing effectively as I could be.

I've Googled and I get different answers and I'm not certain what to go with. If I mixed the plains with designs and washed with hot water, would the color of the designs bleed over onto my plain white stuff?

nerd.gif

So this has always been a problem I've had whenever I wash my white clothes. I know the traditional way to wash white clothes is with hot/warm water, but I'm afraid to mix the load of plain white tees with something like a white Crooks & Castles tee with a black/red/blue/whatever design on it, or something as simple as a white tank top with a navy lining around the sleeve/neck. I end up mixing and washing with cold water, and I feel like I'm not washing effectively as I could be.

I've Googled and I get different answers and I'm not certain what to go with. If I mixed the plains with designs and washed with hot water, would the color of the designs bleed over onto my plain white stuff?

nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Mitchellicious

Just wash with cold water. Problem solved.
That's what I currently do, and I was wondering if warm water would be bad to use because there has to be a reason for the hot setting on a washing machine... and my mama taught me it was for white clothes.

Originally Posted by Mitchellicious

Just wash with cold water. Problem solved.
That's what I currently do, and I was wondering if warm water would be bad to use because there has to be a reason for the hot setting on a washing machine... and my mama taught me it was for white clothes.

wash them seperately just to be safe,

this might be considered a waste of water but sometimes u just dont want to take the risk.

this might be considered a waste of water but sometimes u just dont want to take the risk.

Originally Posted by Dakingii

The thing is the amount of whites I wash at a time, plain or not, is pretty small and it would be impractical to wash 3 shirts by themselves.

Originally Posted by Dakingii

The thing is the amount of whites I wash at a time, plain or not, is pretty small and it would be impractical to wash 3 shirts by themselves.

I throw in all light colours together, regardless of decals or not. I've yet to come across something that has its decals bleed colour. But hey, I could be proved wrong.

Dark colours go all together, including any brights (so long as they've finished bleeding of their colours)

And cold wash >>>>> *  

Edit: I'd be more worried about your shirts shrinking from the hot water than the colours bleeding. What kind of decals have you got?

I throw in all light colours together, regardless of decals or not. I've yet to come across something that has its decals bleed colour. But hey, I could be proved wrong.

Dark colours go all together, including any brights (so long as they've finished bleeding of their colours)

And cold wash >>>>> *  

Edit: I'd be more worried about your shirts shrinking from the hot water than the colours bleeding. What kind of decals have you got?

The thing about a hot wash that I find attractive is that it would keep my clothes' fitted well, specifically my white tees... they tend to get loose. The main question is about whether whites with decals would bleed onto plain white tees in hot water.

The thing about a hot wash that I find attractive is that it would keep my clothes' fitted well, specifically my white tees... they tend to get loose. The main question is about whether whites with decals would bleed onto plain white tees in hot water.

i wash white tee's/ wifebeaters in hot water only so stuff like a tee with a design would probably go in cold water

i wash white tee's/ wifebeaters in hot water only so stuff like a tee with a design would probably go in cold water

Don't think that would be an issue since those graphics are screen pressed with whatever pigments and not dyed like a colored shirt.

Don't think that would be an issue since those graphics are screen pressed with whatever pigments and not dyed like a colored shirt.

Back
Top Bottom