Law Graduate Gets Her Day in Court, Suing Law School

I got into an argument with someone on FB about this. Here is what I posted:

It's kind of hard to be sympathetic for her and others in the same situation for two reasons: 1) There are other good paying jobs for ppl with law degrees other than being a lawyer and 2) Its important to balance an advanced degree with work experience. Take an MBA, for example, nearly all of the most prestigious MBA programs require applicants to have several years of work experience before they can apply. They do this to weed out applicants that are not on a management track.

As for my first point, I know a lot of law students in the Washington area who have done very well for themselves in a non-law firm jobs. Washington is one of the most saturated areas for law students, but there is a demand for lobbyists, policy analysts, and advocates with law degrees. The point is that sometimes ppl need to be creative or look outside their comfort zone to find employment.

Antidope wouldn't even let his wife she his pay stub, but wants this woman's transcript made public just to validate his opinion

:smh: :lol:
That schools admittance stats told me all I needed to know about the grades she likely pulled in undergrad.

What does her grades have to do with the school misrepresenting the performance of their graduates?

How does one influence the other?

Don't deflect and write me a soliloquy of personal responsibility in response either, just answer this question.

They should really make her grades public.
Why would the school be that stupid and do that? :lol:

Seems like you just want this to be tried in the court of public opinion and mostly just so you can feel better about your stance. What you gonna say if all her grades are great?
I don't need to feel better about anything. It was established that her law school grades are good, but if the best law school that you could get into is the 201st one then you shouldn't have gone to law school in the first place.

It's a given that her grades and/or LSAT were garbage. She didn't go there for cost being that the school costs more than the national average and has ivy league cost. She went there cause it was the only place that would take her due to her underperformance and she should have known better. People aren't going to the 201st ranked law school cause they feel like it.

The cost/benefit analysis of that was way in the red and she did it anyways.

To the bold:

antidope antidope , even if it is the lowest-ranked law school, why knock someone for attending? This girl is a COMPLETELY different story, but I guarantee that there are a lot of folks there who are taking studying law seriously and don't feel entitled.

Antidope wouldn't even let his wife she his pay stub, but wants this woman's transcript made public just to validate his opinion

That schools admittance stats told me all I needed to know about the grades she likely pulled in undergrad.

What does her grades have to do with the school misrepresenting the performance of their graduates?

Don't deflect and write me a soliloquy of personal responsibility in response either, just answer this question.
They're not related at all.

But I don't blame the school, I blame her for putting herself in this hole in the first place.

But I don't blame the school, I blame her for putting herself in this hole in the first place.

The basis of her case is that the school mislead students.

Whether you think this girl is entitled or not, a school shouldn't the knowingly lying to prospective students. PERIOD

And the only way school are going to learn that this behavior is for students (or the government) make them pay.

You completely glossing over the school's unethical behavior because you want to lecture this girl through your computer screen. Which you love to do.

Ignore systemic problem, ignore unethical behavior, just to push your deluded brand of "personal responsibility"

-The fact she is just asking for he tuition back seems reasonable to me.

Last edited:
They should really make her grades public.
Why would the school be that stupid and do that? :lol:

Seems like you just want this to be tried in the court of public opinion and mostly just so you can feel better about your stance. What you gonna say if all her grades are great?
I don't need to feel better about anything. It was established that her law school grades are good, but if the best law school that you could get into is the 201st one then you shouldn't have gone to law school in the first place.

It's a given that her grades and/or LSAT were garbage. She didn't go there for cost being that the school costs more than the national average and has ivy league cost. She went there cause it was the only place that would take her due to her underperformance and she should have known better. People aren't going to the 201st ranked law school cause they feel like it.

The cost/benefit analysis of that was way in the red and she did it anyways.

To the bold:

antidope antidope , even if it is the lowest-ranked law school, why knock someone for attending? This girl is a COMPLETELY different story, but I guarantee that there are a lot of folks there who are taking studying law seriously and don't feel entitled.
It sounds bad but it's just what I've heard about law school from anyone that has gone. They say the same thing about MBAs too, it's a sad reality that the job prospects of those schools are largely name and ranking driven.

I'm not knocking anyone for trying to better themselves but she was not realistic about this entire thing from the get go.

Hate to sound callous but that's really how this game goes a lot of the time. I would say the same thing about myself. I have a good idea of what my life ceiling is based on how I currently look on paper.

mean.gif
laugh.gif

Whether you think this girl is entitled or not, a school shouldn't the knowingly lying to prospective students. PERIOD

And the only way school are going to learn that this behavior is for students (or the government) make them pay.

You completely glossing over the school's unethical behavior because you want to lecture this girl through your computer screen.

The fact she is just asking for he tuition back seems reasonable to me.
She probably will, but don't be surprised if the school has some defense or loophole.

Hindsight is a tough pill to swallow. If she took that $60k job and worked through the past 7-8 years since graduating, she could've easily pulled $100k+.

Note: She also graduated during the '08 crisis, when firms were on a hiring freeze.

You completely glossing over the school's unethical behavior because you want to lecture this girl through your computer screen. Which you love to do.

Ignore systemic problem, ignore unethical behavior, just to push your deluded brand of "personal responsibility"

She had a job though, and turned it down because she thought it was beneath her.

The basis of her argument doesn't even apply to her, it's a good basis, but it seems as if she just has sour grapes because she wasnt getting lucrative offers out the gate.

Once again, ignoring the fact the school probably knowingly lied to prospective students

That is the basis, that they lied. The School's Defense is that she was offered a job, so there was no injury

The hate is real in here. Dudes go to HBCUs all the time and make more than your "ranked" schools.

Not ignoring it man I acknowledged it. They did lie and shouldn't. I'm just saying that there's a larger issue here and it's got a lot to do with her and how she went about this entire law school thing.

The hate is real in here. Dudes go to HBCUs all the time and make more than your "ranked" schools.
Law school is a different thing entirely.

Last edited:

So she graduated law school with honors. This implies she's at least decently smart, correct?

What happened during the application process? What other schools did she apply to? Was she only aiming for top-tier schools?

Regardless, if she wins this case, colleges are gonna be super cautious. We'll see a lot of "amended" stats and/or footnotes in brochures.

laugh.gif

If she wins the case i want a refund on my tuition 

She had a job though, and turned it down because she thought it was beneath her.

The basis of her argument doesn't even apply to her, it's a good basis, but it seems as if she just has sour grapes because she wasnt getting lucrative offers out the gate.

Please quote me in the article that she turned it down because she thought it was beneath her, or even hints at that is the reason. Please do that for me.

If you read other articles about this, she graduated near the top of her class, applied to 150 firms, got one offer but turned it down because she had better non-law related offers. Read the last paragraph of the OP article

So what exactly do you want to shade her for famb

Going to the school that lies about their placement?

Doing the right thing and finishing at near the top of her class?

Applying to tons of firms, like we tell most graduates to do?

Or not accepting a job that was less appealing than her other options, because you know, she now has tons of debt?

Last edited:
even though I'm with antidope in thinking she is 100% to blame for not being able to find a job, I'm all for the downfall of the massive scam that is college education 

The top of your class at Law school 201 likely means next to nothing in the eyes of employers as bad as that sounds.

They can go pluck from a crop of "More qualified" candidates in an over saturated field.

The top of your class at Law school 201 likely means next to nothing in the eyes of employers as bad as that sounds.

They can go pluck from a crop of "More qualified" candidates in an over saturated field.
This point only helps her case. The school was 201 yet still claiming to have such a high rate of graduates being employed. That goes counter to reality.

More evidence that they were lying.

Fraud all over.

^^^ Exactly.

He still wants to ignore the fact the school lied because throwing shade at this girl seems to be his prime objective.

Don't know what this has to do with the conversation. Law school and HBCU undergrad are two entirely different things. Whereas Fortune 500 companies may target HBCUs for "diversity" purposes regardless of the school's overall standing, graduate/professional schools are all about rank. There are no charity case hires. It is based on merit.

Regardless of numbers being doctored, I still believe that the blame is ultimately on her for not doing her research on what was an already oversaturated field and ultimately choosing to go to one of the worst law schools in the country just to say she went to law school.
So she graduated law school with honors. This implies she's at least decently smart, correct?
Not necessarily. The rank correlates with the quality of education being taught. 

Last edited:
^^^ Exactly.

He still wants to ignore the fact the school lied because throwing shade at this girl seems to be his prime objective.
I have already acknowledged that. I know they lied and they shouldn't have.

I am speaking to the another issue at hand here, she is just as culpable for this situation as the school if not more.

Last edited:
Oh so you just want to bash the chick for going to that school and then filing this lawsuit.

I get it.

^^^ Exactly.

I am speaking to the another issue at hand here, she is just as culpable for this situation as the school if not more.

Did she commit fraud?

Then you can't run this "she is as much to blame" nonsense without knocking her for attending the school in the first place.

Because when she got there, she performed well.

You're just downplaying the facts of this situation, just to sit on your high horse and judge people, like you love to do.

Last edited:
Oh so you just want to bash the chick for going to that school and then filing this lawsuit.

I get it.
Which I personally don't see a problem with. Its like going through undergrad, choosing a major that is hard to make a living with and then getting upset at the school and calling college a scam because you can't find proper career placement.

There are multiple issues at hand here. Most in here acknowledge the doctoring of numbers of which even I agree is a huge problem and needs to be stamped out by the ABA or whichever body is responsible for giving law schools their accreditation. The second, which some in here choose to ignore, is the plaintiff's own doing in this matter. If a law school that isn't recognized on the U.S. News rankings is the only school you can get into, it is time to reevaluate your decision and if it is worth pouring six figures into.
What does performed well mean? A Thomas Jefferson education isn't equivalent to that of a Stanford Law education which is a huge reason why she applied to "hundreds" of firms and couldn't even get interviews. If you compared the GPAs on a sliding scale, her honors there would probably be bottom of the class. Rankings and GPAs are all relative.

Last edited:
^^^ Exactly.

Did she commit fraud?

Then you can't run this "she is as much to blame" nonsense without knocking her for attending the school in the first place.

You're just downplaying the facts of this situation, just to sit on your high horse and judge people, like you love to do.
I'm judgy? This is news to me.

^^^ Exactly.

Did she commit fraud?

I'm judgy? This is news to me.

:smh: :rofl: :rofl:

You're like the male Kellyrep.

wait how is she NOT to blame for the situation she's in? 

are all the people in her class with lower GPAs also unemployed? 

if not then why are they working while she's at home blaming the system? 

Back
Top Bottom