Lawmaker proposes energy drink ban for anyone under 19 Vol. Too Far

energy-drinks.jpg

SMITHTOWN, N.Y. (CBS 2/ WCBS 880) – They’re popular among teens and adults, but energy drinks are also unregulated by the Food and Drug Administration.

They are known to be overloaded with sugar, caffeine and other stimulants.

Experts say they’re dangerous; teens say they’re harmless.

“I use it for school, when I’m tired and I need energy,

energy-drinks.jpg

SMITHTOWN, N.Y. (CBS 2/ WCBS 880) – They’re popular among teens and adults, but energy drinks are also unregulated by the Food and Drug Administration.

Originally Posted by The Genesis

energy-drinks.jpg

Originally Posted by The Genesis

energy-drinks.jpg

Banning the sale of something on the grounds of safety is fine, provided there is legitimate reason for concern.  I have to ask if the concern stems from the perceived popularity of "energy drinks" and the fact that some individuals abuse them or if it derives from real, medically justifiable safety issues. 

If the concern is because they're popular and sometimes abused, that is not a problem with the product and if you can attack them legislatively on these grounds then you should similarly consider legally banning the sale of anything that is popular and abused by some individuals (you know, like alcohol?).

If the issue is one of safety, one has to have a higher threshold for proof than noticing some individuals who drink a lot of caffienated energy drinks.  Because if that is all it takes for some nitwit propose legislation banning their sale - and apparently it is - then Starbucks better start watching their back. 

Banning the sale of something on the grounds of safety is fine, provided there is legitimate reason for concern.  I have to ask if the concern stems from the perceived popularity of "energy drinks" and the fact that some individuals abuse them or if it derives from real, medically justifiable safety issues. 

If the concern is because they're popular and sometimes abused, that is not a problem with the product and if you can attack them legislatively on these grounds then you should similarly consider legally banning the sale of anything that is popular and abused by some individuals (you know, like alcohol?).

If the issue is one of safety, one has to have a higher threshold for proof than noticing some individuals who drink a lot of caffienated energy drinks.  Because if that is all it takes for some nitwit propose legislation banning their sale - and apparently it is - then Starbucks better start watching their back. 

its not a good idea at all
'
next thing you know gov't gonna take away our supplement industry.

'
next thing you know gov't gonna take away our supplement industry.

Lower it to 18.. And be able to prove that when used regularly by someone under 18 it is harmful then proceed..

But right now, no..

And why 19? Seriously you're an adult at 18. Some states 17. Lower it to that.

Lower it to 18.. And be able to prove that when used regularly by someone under 18 it is harmful then proceed..

But right now, no..

And why 19? Seriously you're an adult at 18. Some states 17. Lower it to that.

they shouldnt ban, but they need to educate. drinking a 24oz can of synthetic energy stimulants + a crapload of unhealthy sugars is HORRIBLE for you
30t6p3b.gif

I rarely drink em, and when I do it's the sugar free smaller redbulls.

they shouldnt ban, but they need to educate. drinking a 24oz can of synthetic energy stimulants + a crapload of unhealthy sugars is HORRIBLE for you
30t6p3b.gif

I rarely drink em, and when I do it's the sugar free smaller redbulls.

so this guy is using 4 loko as an example? yea, because it was the caffeine that put those kids in the hospital. hello, is 12% alc!

you raise the age of energy drinks to 19, what about mountain dew? coca cola? coffee and espresso?

dumbest thing i have ever heard of. the baby boomers really need to sit their old %@%%@ down somewhere.

so this guy is using 4 loko as an example? yea, because it was the caffeine that put those kids in the hospital. hello, is 12% alc!

you raise the age of energy drinks to 19, what about mountain dew? coca cola? coffee and espresso?

dumbest thing i have ever heard of. the baby boomers really need to sit their old %@%%@ down somewhere.

Originally Posted by Al Audi

'
next thing you know gov't gonna take away our [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]supplement industry.[/color]
Good point. There are supplements that are far worse than your averaged energy drink. Supplement industry is unregulated as well.

Originally Posted by Al Audi

'
next thing you know gov't gonna take away our [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]supplement industry.[/color]
Good point. There are supplements that are far worse than your averaged energy drink. Supplement industry is unregulated as well.

So, let me get this straight...An 18 year old can buy cigarettes, throw their money away on lottery tickets, and die for our country...

...but let them get caught with an energy drink and they get punished?

I'm sorry, but I'm done with this country.
roll.gif

So, let me get this straight...An 18 year old can buy cigarettes, throw their money away on lottery tickets, and die for our country...

...but let them get caught with an energy drink and they get punished?

I'm sorry, but I'm done with this country.
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom