Learning to Skateboard...Advice? Best Equipment? Brands?

^he doesn't need to go that cheap, just get a powell mini logo deck or something along those lines.

the pop and concave are night and day between a department store deck and true 7-ply canadian maple deck, not to mention bearings and trucks.

you could get some off-brand abec-5 bearings and some venture trucks for the low as well.

worst thing you could do as a beginner is go out and by a fully-loaded complete with no clue of how to actually ride. aside from the poser jokes, it's a waste of good hardware.

Originally Posted by JuJu

decks: shorty's, element, chocolate, enjoi (7.5 x 30-31 is best size for street)

trucks: krux, tensor, destructo, grind king (leave em a lil loose for carving or tigther for tricks like ollies)

wheels: spitfire...

bearings: speed demon, lucky, black panthers

risers: doh dohs

*dont buy a slick.
no offense but this sounds kinda hypebeast. Your deck and truck selections are decent, but wheels, anything at the skateshop would suffice, spitfire is overrated like pig, and bearings, china bones and bones swiss crush all of the above, risers imo don't even help, it comes down to whether or not you know how to land with minimal impact. I've snapped more decks with risers on because it elevated my board even higher.

just hit up a shop.

nothing really matters but the trucks and the bearings at the end of the day imo.

i skate enjoi

just hit up a shop.

nothing really matters but the trucks and the bearings at the end of the day imo.

i skate enjoi

I remember when I was like 11 and wanted to skateboard because my friend had one. I made my dad go with me to the skate shop, and had a skateboard assembled. I think the only and best thing I could do was ollie two steps and pop shuvit.
laugh.gif

Then I watched that same friend who got me into skating bomb the neighborhood hill, get speed wobbles, and break his collarbone and arm. I had to call his neighbors to take him to the hospital. That was the last time I skated.
laugh.gif

Good luck though. I think I might try longboarding in the future.

I remember when I was like 11 and wanted to skateboard because my friend had one. I made my dad go with me to the skate shop, and had a skateboard assembled. I think the only and best thing I could do was ollie two steps and pop shuvit.
laugh.gif

Then I watched that same friend who got me into skating bomb the neighborhood hill, get speed wobbles, and break his collarbone and arm. I had to call his neighbors to take him to the hospital. That was the last time I skated.
laugh.gif

Good luck though. I think I might try longboarding in the future.

try play it again sports.  sometimes you come across a decent board (i found one at the spot around my way).  you can always paint the deck you find there, and customize it however you want.  mess around with it for a few months and then if your still into skating, step up to a better board.  

try play it again sports.  sometimes you come across a decent board (i found one at the spot around my way).  you can always paint the deck you find there, and customize it however you want.  mess around with it for a few months and then if your still into skating, step up to a better board.  

I've been riding with Alien Worshop decks since 6th grade.
Bones Swiss are easily my favorite bearings.
With trucks, you can't go wrong with some Destructo's, though the Tensor magnesium's are super light. Venture is a solid pick too.
Wheels you don't need to be too picky about, get a set you like.

And you don't need risers.

I've been riding with Alien Worshop decks since 6th grade.
Bones Swiss are easily my favorite bearings.
With trucks, you can't go wrong with some Destructo's, though the Tensor magnesium's are super light. Venture is a solid pick too.
Wheels you don't need to be too picky about, get a set you like.

And you don't need risers.

Go to zumies, pick out a deck from their trashcans that are like 10-20$, Bones reds bearings, any set of trucks and wheels since you won't be able to tell the diffference until later on. If you want specific brands I like:
Habitat, Anti-Hero for decks
Indy or phantom trucks
wheel brand didn't matter to me but i liked the softer wheels.

Go to zumies, pick out a deck from their trashcans that are like 10-20$, Bones reds bearings, any set of trucks and wheels since you won't be able to tell the diffference until later on. If you want specific brands I like:
Indy or phantom trucks

Thanks everyone for the help. I was in zumiez earlier today. I've been pricing out stuff online trying to find the cheapest way to go without doing too much. I'll check out play it again sports tomorrow. Yeah, I really just want something for $50 or less. This thread was helpful though. I'll see how it goes. And to the person above-I'm probably 'too old' to learn to skateboard, but I did ok on a ripstik-im pretty athletic and fairly quick learner so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks everyone for the help. I was in zumiez earlier today. I've been pricing out stuff online trying to find the cheapest way to go without doing too much. I'll check out play it again sports tomorrow. Yeah, I really just want something for $50 or less. This thread was helpful though. I'll see how it goes. And to the person above-I'm probably 'too old' to learn to skateboard, but I did ok on a ripstik-im pretty athletic and fairly quick learner so we'll see how it goes.

Originally Posted by heavenlee777

How old are you?
I've been told you're supposed to learn at a young age, because it's really hard as you get older.

TK started skating at 20-21...

How old are you?
I've been told you're supposed to learn at a young age, because it's really hard as you get older.

Originally Posted by Jiggaman414

How old are you?

can't be true, he's 25 right now and I knew about the dude at least 5-6 years ago, come to think of it I believe he turned pro at 18 with Element if i'm not mistaken...

Originally Posted by Jiggaman414

How old are you?

can't be true, he's 25 right now and I knew about the dude at least 5-6 years ago, come to think of it I believe he turned pro at 18 with Element if i'm not mistaken...

Originally Posted by Brilliant Overlord

Indy or phantom trucks

I wasn't aware of this Zumiez trashcan thing.  I'll check it out.  Thanks!  I have bones reds bearings in my ripstik and my roller skates so I have no problem in throwing them on a skateboard too.  They're great.  This is helpful-I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Brilliant Overlord

Indy or phantom trucks

I wasn't aware of this Zumiez trashcan thing.  I'll check it out.  Thanks!  I have bones reds bearings in my ripstik and my roller skates so I have no problem in throwing them on a skateboard too.  They're great.  This is helpful-I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom