Let's Discuss Nas' Biggest Downfall: His Terrible Ear For Beats

I think this is the only reason why Nas isn't listed more frequently as most cat's favorite rapper of all time. Some might say his lyrics are toocomplex or his rapping style is mad boring. The lyrics are there but the production doesn't match up and it's not like he didn't have a good earIllmatic is perfection on the production side also, not just lyrics so i don't know what happen to dude after that.

I mean take for example Nas Is Like, that beat is just straight raw nasty Premo and Nas just murks it on the lyrical side, Hate Me Now, Your The Man, Hold DownThe Block and they're countless others where you can see how Nas excells on a hot beat. Premo, Large Professor and L.E.S fits Nas' sound best, not agarbage producer like Salaam Remi... i don't know why Esco persists in letting dude hit him off with beats come album time. Nas' production is alot ofthe times the main reason i can't replay a Nas album like i could a Jay album or a Ghost album.

on a sidenote Joe Budden is another dude that suffers from this disease.

A shining example of this
B0002LGWVS.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

When the beats are hot, Nas makes classic albums and songs (Illmatic, Lost Tapes, Stillmatic)
When the beats suck, so does Nas

he has some bangers w/ salaam remi, he just doesnt need to make him his go to guy

Thief's Theme

Made U Look

What Comes Around

Get Down

however, if nas did his whole album w/ ALC, it would be fire beyond epic proportions

not a garbage producer like Salaam Remi
Are you crazy? Dude is one of the nicest doing it.

My second favorite album after Illmatic....nothing wrong with these beats...
alien.gif

Originally Posted by sneakergod1126

Maybe its beacuse Nas is my favorite of all time but i never saw a problem with his beat selection....
And i think Salammi Remi is a underated producer....
and i dont care what no one says there is nothing wrong with streets dispciple....

Only classic beat form Salammi is Made You Look the rest of his production sound like most producer's throwaway beats. I do agree that there wasnothing with Streets Disciple but proudction was severly lacking.
I mean when people already view your rapping style as dull and you have dull beats thatjust makes it even harder to get into your music. I wanna hear Nas rapping over beats like The Format, R.A.G.U, Fallin, Dreams.

WOW sir something is definitely wrong with those 2 statements. SD over IWW, Stillmatic, Godson sh.. even add in HHID.

however, if nas did his whole album w/ ALC, it would be fire beyond epic proportions
You know what i always wanted Nas to work with Organized Noize for some reason, i think they would lace him with some heat, along with No ID.

Blunt Ashes was just terrible. Joe Dumars probably heard it and it stopped him from getting signed.

Originally Posted by Illuztrious

not a garbage producer like Salaam Remi

alien.gif

Co-sign... Maybe not my favorite after illmatic but definitely underated! I still bump this
No one else in the room is gonna be played at my wedding lol

i think Nas would be ill under the original "black album" concept. 12 tracks, 12 diff' producers.

that's just me though.

He needs to work with L.E.S more. Alch, Madlib, Ski, Khrysis, Bronze Nazareth would be ill on a Nas joint IMO.

I remember saying this when Return of the Mac came out last year....the album was dope, but to the credit of Alc, because the beats on that albumwere crazy, and we all know Prodigy is a lazy bum on the mic, but the album was still dope. I was saying if NaS got these beats it woulda been insane.

on a sidenote Joe Budden is another dude that suffers from this disease.
how so? he had 1 album and none of his mixtapes really have that bad of beats, for a mixtape, (where you don't have the budget to pay dudesmad money for beats) but can you give examples of this?

Blunt Ashes was just terrible. Joe Dumars probably heard it and it stopped him from getting signed.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

^ All makes sense now
laugh.gif
why this dude dont venture off with otherproducers I always wonder. Its like he makes music in a studio under a rock in a cave. Is money that much of a factor? cuz Id love to hear some NaS on someBeatnuts, 9th Wonder, J Dilla, Madlib, n some more Alchemist along with the dudes he shoulda never stopped makin music with Premo, Pete, Large Pro etc.

smokin.gif

i think when nas chooses beats he chooses beats that fit him, not what has a hot sound at the moment. he wants beats that have at timeless feel to them thatstill represent what he does. i remember when stillmatic dropped after blueprint and it just sounded like it had a much more raw and deeper feel to it. i thinkone of his best produced albums was god son. also one of his most slept on joints....

but i also see what your saying about him picking some straight up garbage beats sometimes. you gotta remember nas smokes weed all day long. that mess probablysounds good to him while hes high. what id like to hear is nas on more beats from different producers. when he finds a sound he likes he kinda just sticks withit.

^ exactly. The beats he chooses almost always fit the song. And he doesnt usually try to make songs for the club, so people wanna say they are bad beats.

laugh.gif
the PGA tour wrote:

^ exactly. The beats he chooses almost always fit the song. And he doesnt usually try to make songs for the club, so people wanna say they are bad beats.

naw Nas could pick out hot beats that aren't mad uptempo and club orientated, sh.. Ghost does it all the time. Like i pointed out Az's The Formatbeat is the kinda the sound i want to hear Nas on, Song Cry beat... those type of beats fit his style completely. Nas was never the type of rapper to excell onclub beats --Quick To Back Down anyone?
how so? he had 1 album and none of his mixtapes really have that bad of beats, for a mixtape, (where you don't have the budget to pay dudes mad money for beats) but can you give examples of this?

yeah i understand a mixtape budget isn't that large but your in-house producer should still come with some heat.... i wasn't really feeling thebeats on Mood Muzik 3 much [Invisible Man, Star Inside, 5th Gear, Long Way To Go, Thou Shall Not Fall] the production on MM2 was way better.
Nas is his own A+R man?

Controls his own album budgets?

Word?

laugh.gif
never fails to see you bitter in a thread i start. Is Ghost his ownA&R, does he have a huge bugdet... somehow his production is always better. This Nas we talking about a platinum artist, he doesn't have to a newartist type budget. This the same cat that was pushing out mad Hype Williams directed videos during the 90's when Hype was charging n....s 175K a video.

Problem w/ Nas is that his songs sometimes mimic his acting in Belly, boring & emotion-less, and current mass Hip Hop fans just aren't looking for thelyrics or message.

BTW, d/l Dirty Harry's "Nas Living Legend Chapter 1"....found it on torrent...CRACK!

Back
Top Bottom