Lets get a tips, tricks & steps 2 help Produce STICKY PL

Ive qoota question for yall........

Ive been struggling with my basslines and bass kicks/drums for the longest. when i use both of them in a song they both tend to class alot. like i got the bassdrum hittin then ill add a bassline and its all distorted. how do you separate the two so that the bass drum is hittin hard and clear yet you can hear a clearbassline without any distortion? i know its some sort of eq. ive been playing around with the parametric eq in reason and im not sure how to set it up like so.

its not even about eq really...i mean it doesnt have to be if u find the right kick... basically they cant be in the same frequency range... layer ur kicksman... get a deep kick that hits but is barely audible then layer it wit one that has more of a punch... trust me... if u gone eq usually the kick ishigher(more to the right...lol) than the bass...

do u have a sub(woofer)? u cant "hear" all basses u kno... what kinda basses u b usin?

we both know reason lol so i use the wonderbas from the subtracter. and ye i got studio monitors and a klipsch subwoofer.

Originally Posted by ps2child

Ive qoota question for yall........

Ive been struggling with my basslines and bass kicks/drums for the longest. when i use both of them in a song they both tend to class alot. like i got the bass drum hittin then ill add a bassline and its all distorted. how do you separate the two so that the bass drum is hittin hard and clear yet you can hear a clear bassline without any distortion? i know its some sort of eq. ive been playing around with the parametric eq in reason and im not sure how to set it up like so.

Try panning the kick & bass...that should make it sound cleaner.

Originally Posted by TW3EK

Originally Posted by PUSHA x Vinsanity

Well we're working with Pro Tools and !+#! in my classes.

So I figured I might as well get a Mac now, since I'm sure I'll be needing one later on down the road.

Plus, I know it's all about your talent and not the software... yadda yadda... BUT... I need to start steering away from FL Studio.
laugh.gif
I'm not tryin' to be makin' beats on FL in some professional studio, if I'm blessed with those opportunities in the future. I already wanna know how to work my way around Pro Tools and have the option of sending artists the sessions of my tracks.

Lastly, one of the main reasons I'm looking into a MacBook is the simple fact of portability. I wanna be able to bring my !+#! around anywhere that I want to, rather than being stuck with working from home (my dorm
laugh.gif
) on the PC. So along with whatever laptop I decide on, I'll probably be gettin' an Oxygen 8 or some other sort of compact 25 key type MIDI controller.

u can get a better laptop than a macbook for the price... they make pro tools for PCs and all u need is REASON... u can track ur beats into pro tools from ANYTHING and just save it as a session... i aint tryin to hear all these excuses... just say u want a mac fool... aint nothin wrong wit it... i just try to save folks money but i b forgettin everybody dont live in the slums of cleveland (in other words yall can afford that #%*@ ...lol)
Thank you very much, Mr. Time.

I'm honestly not one of them dudes who just wants a Mac to have one. You think I'm cool droppin $2200 on a damn MacBook Pro? Hell no.
laugh.gif
If therewas a cheaper way AND I can stay with Windows, while still being able to use Pro Tools, I'm all over it. Are the file extensions/file types the same asthey would be on a Mac? Like, could I work on somethin' on Pro Tools on a PC, then throw it on a disc and open it up on a Mac at school? I know I shouldprobably be researching this on my own, but I figured I'd throw these questions out there anyway.

You got any laptop suggestions, Time? I'm lookin for somethin' pretty nice, with plenty of memory and what not, so I can avoid CPU overload at allcosts. VSTs don't work in Reason, though, right? Only Refills...? I'd like to keep using my VSTs somehow, since I have so many of them. I guess I goteven more research ahead of me, now that I may be sticking with Windows. Thanks for the help so far, my dude.

So I figured I might as well get a Mac now, since I'm sure I'll be needing one later on down the road.

Plus, I know it's all about your talent and not the software... yadda yadda... BUT... I need to start steering away from FL Studio.
laugh.gif
I'm not tryin' to be makin' beats on FL in some professional studio, if I'm blessed with those opportunities in the future. I already wanna know how to work my way around Pro Tools and have the option of sending artists the sessions of my tracks.

Lastly, one of the main reasons I'm looking into a MacBook is the simple fact of portability. I wanna be able to bring my !+#! around anywhere that I want to, rather than being stuck with working from home (my dorm
laugh.gif
) on the PC. So along with whatever laptop I decide on, I'll probably be gettin' an Oxygen 8 or some other sort of compact 25 key type MIDI controller.

u can get a better laptop than a macbook for the price... they make pro tools for PCs and all u need is REASON... u can track ur beats into pro tools from ANYTHING and just save it as a session... i aint tryin to hear all these excuses... just say u want a mac fool... aint nothin wrong wit it... i just try to save folks money but i b forgettin everybody dont live in the slums of cleveland (in other words yall can afford that #%*@ ...lol)

I'm honestly not one of them dudes who just wants a Mac to have one. You think I'm cool droppin $2200 on a damn MacBook Pro? Hell no.
laugh.gif
If there was a cheaper way AND I can stay with Windows, while still being able to use Pro Tools, I'm all over it. Are the file extensions/file types the same as they would be on a Mac? Like, could I work on somethin' on Pro Tools on a PC, then throw it on a disc and open it up on a Mac at school? I know I should probably be researching this on my own, but I figured I'd throw these questions out there anyway.

You got any laptop suggestions, Time? I'm lookin for somethin' pretty nice, with plenty of memory and what not, so I can avoid CPU overload at all costs. VSTs don't work in Reason, though, right? Only Refills...? I'd like to keep using my VSTs somehow, since I have so many of them. I guess I got even more research ahead of me, now that I may be sticking with Windows. Thanks for the help so far, my dude.
yea the sessions will work on either platform and u can interchange em or whatever u want...

and DAMN some VSTs...lol... u can rewire reason and STILL use it with FL if u want... if u rewire ull b using the other program's sequencer but u can usereason's sounds... u can rewire to almost any DAW(pro tools, cool edit, etc) which all can use VSTs...

as far as suggestions just get the best u can for the price...at least 2 gigs of ram... ull want about 3 GHz of processing at least... everything else is onu...dont worry too much about internal memory... get urself an external if u dont already have one... thats about it... the rest is all preference...

PS2: automate the gain levels on your bassline so they dip down when the kick drum hits, and then back up inbetween. I don't recommend panning kicks andbasslines too far from the center. Basslines and kicks are indistinguishable from left or right, in other words you can't really tell where a bassline orkick is coming from...it always just sounds there. Plus ppl with systems usually have 2 subs. If you pan your kick all the way to the left, your only gettinghalf of the knock.

I believe the frequencies for kicks are 20-60hz and basslines are 60hz- 100 or 200? That should help you with your eq. Also try compression. It will compressthe frequencies (the more frequencies used the more clashing). Time's tip on using a low boom for the 20-60 hz and a "kick sound" above thebassline (above the 100-200hz) is also a very good idea.

Pusha: Pro tools files are protools files. I'm pretty sure whether its mac or pc, its a .ptf extension

Time: when you said you can run a reason session in protools, do you mean individual tracks? Like the multi-track will show up as a multitrack in protools thesame way it does in reason?

as for the pc/mac thing. Some of the stuff I've already bought are for PC only so I've already made the commitment. But in the future I plan on gettinga macbook pro for the portability. Then I'll have both worlds and compatibilities.

buggz05 wrote:

Time: when you said you can run a reason session in protools, do you mean individual tracks? Like the multi-track will show up as a multitrack in protools the same way it does in reason?

yea but ull have to have both programs open... its meant for using reason's sounds with the other programs sequencer and sounds... but u would alsodump ur tracks thru the other program...

Also pusha, if your gonna get a mac for a certain software get it for Logic. 300 dollars for protools LE and what 32 tracks? and 500 for Logic and 250 tracksplus vst's, plugins, etc etc etc x10...

I've just realized how overwhelming all this is. I've been stacking up and spending money for my project studio thats PC reliant, and now I'verealized in order for me to get freelance jobs(in video editing) I need Final Cut. Thats 700 for the software and 2-3k for the macbook pro.
indifferent.gif

They should be called pimpbook pro's
smh.gif

But anyways it looks like apple's goin for that monopoly and everybody's falling for it. I just looked at all these job postings and they want finalcut users instead of avid. Mainly because apple has packaged such great bargains with their professional software (like final cut and logic) that when studiosbuy their equipment, they realize Hey I can get the computers, and then get discounts on the software since I'm buying the computer, plus the softwareis a steal already...

Just something to think about for the future of the industry. ProTools and Avid have had a STRONG hold on the industry the past 10 years, a monopoly prettymuch. But it looks like the tide is changing.

Thanks, Time... I've been lookin' around the internet for laptops. 3 GHz seems almost impossible to find, but 2.4 looks like it should do the trick.Anyone know much about these MusicXPC laptops? They're like specifically made for Audio Production and seem to have some nice specs, but the way thecompany describes them to be sooo amazing has me skeptical.

Buggz, I hear you, man. One of the main reasons I was gonna get the MacBook Pro was to also have the best of both worlds. Figured, since I already have a PC, Imight as well get a Mac to have even more options. However, since Pro Tools is available on Windows, I'm having second thoughts. I'm such a newb whenit comes to Macs, so you'll have to excuse me when it comes to my knowledge of their specs and exclusive software.
laugh.gif
So Logic is probably the best betfor production then? I see you can use VSTs in it, so that would be clutch if I could copy all mine over from my PC. I know what you mean about how Macs arepushed so hard. Even my school has that approach. They push you to buy a Mac and only a Mac. And if you have a PC, then you might be outta luck when it comesto some courses.
laugh.gif
But if Pro Tools is really gonna be the only program that I have to worry about, then I may just stick to a PC laptop, for now. I'lllook into Logic, though. I've heard plenty of people talk about it, but have never taken the time to research its capabilities.

those xpc joints prolly run that version of xp wit no network capabalities...

has no choice but to stay stable... u can "buy" it and install it... it will cut ur network capabilities off...

2.4 should b good...I'm running 1.8 and I can load up sounds for days in reason(comparable to loadin hella vsts in fl)...

vocal recording requires more processing power than anything and u not doin that so u should b good...

I've peeped the xpc's and their "optimal music performance figuration."

I dunno, I can't find any reviews on them, if you find some good (good as in legit and non biased) post them.

With a student discount you can get the cheap version of logic for like 2 bills or less, packaged with your laptop. Don't know what your missing tho...

Being I'm going to be making my living doing video editing, I'm pretty much forced to get a mac and Final Cut. Kind of sucks.

PUSHA x Vinsanity wrote:

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
If there was a cheaper way AND I can stay with Windows, while still being able to use Pro Tools, I'm all over it. Are the file extensions/file types the same as they would be on a Mac? Like, could I work on somethin' on Pro Tools on a PC, then throw it on a disc and open it up on a Mac at school? I know I should probably be researching this on my own, but I figured I'd throw these questions out there anyway.

You got any laptop suggestions, Time? I'm lookin for somethin' pretty nice, with plenty of memory and what not, so I can avoid CPU overload at all costs. VSTs don't work in Reason, though, right? Only Refills...? I'd like to keep using my VSTs somehow, since I have so many of them. I guess I got even more research ahead of me, now that I may be sticking with Windows. Thanks for the help so far, my dude.

To be honest with you, if your doing this for personal use and you are running ProTools from your PC there is no real reason to get a Mac...now unless you aretrying to be an engineer and work in a studio of some sort or have some sort of career in the audio world then I'd suggest getting a Mac because mostprofessional studios are going to be running Pro Tools on a Mac and if your tryin to be a professional in a professional enviornment you gotta know yourshortcuts...they are different between Macs and PC's...

Logic is an amazing program, but IMO its not on the same level of a DAW as Pro Tools is...don't get me wrong, Logic has amazing synths built into withamazing specs like 500 tracks and 32 gigs of sound librarys or something like that...the difference between Logic and Pro Tools is pretty simple, Logic is asuperior sequencer(MIDI) than Pro Tools (for now), and Pro Tools is far superior than Logic as an recorder/editor...

now I say Logic is superior sequencer for now is cause Pro Tools is starting to open up a lot more amazing programs that sound great but cost hella money...soI'll just say Logic is still better for your buck...but I'd still rock the Reason as a ReWire...and one last thing, Pro Tools 7.4 is legit...Idon't know if ya'll have seen the specs on Elastic audio but that !!+* is pretty hot..check it out on the digidesign website...Hope this helps some ofya'll out a little...

Edit:: Time I ended up gettin Reason 4.0 from a teacher at school and it's pretty legit
pimp.gif

Hmm...BeatJunkie can you tell me what Logic is missing editing wise, before I invest so much money? Editing, and mixing is my biggest thing with recording sothat's very important.

Also after snooping through digidesigns website, how in the hell does a virtual synth have a Voltage Controlled Filter?

I just got Logic Pro the other day from a friend, and I haven't messed with it too much since I've got it...it comes with like 5 discs or something todownload everything..but anyways, there are little things in Pro Tools that make mixing/editing so easy like Tab to transiet, when you hit tab it'll moveyour selector tool to the closest transient allowing you to make some pretty good selections for editing, I don't think you can have groups in Logic(don't take my word on it yet though...) where you can have all your drum tracks as one group so when you move one fader all the faders for that group willmove along with it...and just the overall apperance of the windows, Pro Tools is very easy to use because they have all the edit tools on the top of the screenwhere as I can't even really see them in Logic...

but to be honest with you, if you can find a nice steady work flow with Logic then I'm sure you'll be fine...I seen that you had kind of a postproduction goal and I've done a little bit of post production work with both Logic and Pro Tools and they both managed pretty well aside from the fact thatediting with Pro Tools is way easier with audio files. With the Logic I used a lot of MIDI to create a lot of my own sound effects and used the ESX24(?)sampler...you can create your own sound effects and put it into a sampler and use different pitches of the sound to make it sound different every time, its apretty powerful thing and it has a lot of ambiant sounds from what i remember which is a very important thing when doing Post Production...with Pro Toolsyou'll have to create all your own sounds because it doesn't really have a sound library like Logic...but you should check out Pro Tools LE with a DVTool kit, check that out in the digidesign site I'm not sure the exact specs but it updates the regular LE version to act more like a post productionprogram, I know it upgrades your track count from 32 to 48 and adds a couple of features...

I know I'm kinda twisting you in two different directions but I'm just trying to show you the positives of both Logic and Pro Tools...they are justgood in there own ways...kinda difficult to say one is better than the other...

Thanks, Junkie... and others.

Still haven't decided on a laptop...
laugh.gif
My gut feeling says go with a Mac, cuz like you said Junkie, that's almost always what's being used inprofessional studios. But I'm debating getting a PC laptop for now, and then once I start working in legit studios down the road, then maybe I'll havethe money to buy the MacBook Pro. However, why waste the money on two laptops, when I can have the Mac to start off with. I think I'm just angry that Ihave to learn new software and restart my instrument collection, and that's why I'm leaning towards PC...
laugh.gif

Question about Pro Tools... Do I need additional hardware to run the program? I was looking at LE and M-Powered, and the descriptions made it seem like I'dneed a mixer or some sort of hardware that's hooked up to my computer to make the program run. So how does all that work? Some of that equipment ain'tcheap. With a DAW like Pro Tools, it seems like I'm able to keep my preferable VST route, but if it's mainly a recording/editing program, then how do Iincorporate the VSTs and sequencing into it? Do I do that in another program like Logic, or in the stand-alone VST application even...? Once I figure all thatstuff out with Pro Tools, then I'll have a better idea of everything. I just wanna know how I'll be producing things BEFORE I buy it, rather thanlearning after purchasing.

Even when just typing this, I feel like I need to just give in and go with a Mac.
tired.gif
laugh.gif

PUSHA, you do need hardware to run with Pro Tools...that is basically what your paying for when you purchase Pro Tools, you buy a hardware and you get theprogram for free basically...you gotta purchase an M-Box II, or mini or even a digi003 (BALLIN!) to run Pro Tools LE...if you are unaware of the hardware, itsbasically an A/D (Audio to Digital) converter that will allow you to record into Pro Tools...M-Powered Pro Toos I believe is just using non Digidesign A/Dconverters that are compatible with Pro Tools...you hook up the mbox (or whatever it is you buy...) and go USB to your computer, than take the outputs of thembox and hook it up to your speakers or just go through headphones....

As far as your VST's, you should be able to hook up your VST's through something like ReWire...or they should just be already installed within ProTools depending on the VST...I wonder if you can ReWire Logic into Pro Tools..??

Yea rewiring reason into logic might be overkill, but some producers feel comfortable with having tons of sounds at there fingertips

You really dont need the MAC just to run protools...you can get the PC suped (sp) up and go from there, MAC looks cool, but Pro tools can be ran on XP smoothlyand you can take the session or Wav files to any major studio and upload to PT HD

Let me tell you cause i speak from experience - PTools HD is the only PT worth the money since it comes with 100 tracks and great plugins, everything else inthe digi line is childsplay unless your using things to just get sketches down

The future is moving to daws like cubase, reaper, logic and sonar, because they can have VST's open and record vocals as well with unlimited tracks

Back
Top Bottom