Let's talk about Kobe's legacy......try your hardest to be objective...

As an individual player Kobe is by far the best of this new Generation...Lebron is the best now IMO but Kobe has been doing it for the longest time...withouthim Shaq has one ring...

Tim Duncan?...hahaha you huys baffle me @ times...

This thread is pure comedy
roll.gif

Originally Posted by tupac003

Airmag I respect and agree with just about everything you say, but I don't agree with the 1988 thing. Now I am 26 but age should disqualify somebodies opinion.

My take.

Kobe is one of the best players to have played this game. I love the focus, the drive and the ability to just wow the crowd. Very Jordan-esc as some people say. But he just isn't Jordan. The fact that he patterned his game after Jordan rubbed people the wrong way and some just began hating him. As his fan base grew it became vocal. They said our guy Kobe is better then Jordan. The first thing folks look at is rings. Kobe has 3 Jordan has 6. Everybody knows legacies are built on championships, so how can Kobe be better then Jordan?

Some people have said that Shaq could have had that 3 peat with any 2 guard. Why didn't he win a chip with Penny? You need a speical player to win a chip with. Kobe and Wade were those players. I understand that Shaq does have the Finals MVP's but damn the center's he played were TRASH (expect deke). Shaq & Kobe were meant for each other.

Kobe being an introverted person also hurts his legacy. The guy seems like a douche. I have met the guy a couple of times and he seems like a good guy. None of us hang with the guy on a regular basis yet there are always posts about him being an a-hole and being very cold to teammates. We all know Jordan was the same way but that doesn't seem to bother some people.

When I was growing up NOBODY could tell me anything bad about MJ. I thought he was the greatest player ever while older members of my family would tell me that Magic or Dr. J were better players. We have the same issue now. Its always going to be that way. Now Lebron is in this mix and sooner then later the Lebron>MJ argument will start if it already hasn't started. IMO none of it matters.

When its all said and done Kobe is a top 5 SG. Top 10 all time but if he wins another chip or 2 he is top 5. I just don't think I could ever put him about Jordan because he set the bar so high. I don't see how anybody could pass that bar.

Chuuch

Kobe is one of the greatest player's of all time.

He's already in the top 5 greatest non-centers of all time.

However, you could have thrown any legitimate allstar swingman with Shaq during the years they won championships and Shaq would have won at least one.

So far it's being proven that Kobe isn't great enough to win any allstar big man BUT that can change if he wins one.

I hate Kobe with a passion however you have to respect what he has accomplished.

Taking a team to a Finals with no other Hall Of Famers is an accomplishment.

Winning the West is an accomplishment.

If wins another you can have a conversation about top 10 of all time. If he gets a couple more then you can talk about top 5 and if two or more then you cantalk about him being the greatest.

All this talk about Kobe being the best player for 4 years is dumb. 2 or 3 maybe.

with all the 3 NBA titles talk... here's a question I'd like to see answered...

Kobe 3 NBA Championships, no Finals MVP, 1 3-peat
Pippen 6 NBA Championships, No Finals MVP.....2 3-peats

Does that make Pippen >>> Kobe

btw, both are amazing players who had/have great careers.

Originally Posted by airmag15

That's something I have always wondered.

Scottie took the same team to the ECF and would have took them to the Finals if not for one of the worst calls in NBA history.

So why is Kobe better than Scottie seriously?

Originally Posted by SneakerPro

Scottie took the same team to the ECF and would have took them to the Finals if not for one of the worst calls in NBA history.

when was this?

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

when was this?
1994 when MJ was retired.

Although I think Kobe is better I don't think they can be properly compared until Kobe retires.

This topic will never be discussed objectively because people hate for the most stupid reasons ever.

2nd best player for last 9 years

Pip better than Kobe

the always infamous "he can't win without Shaq" while simultaneously boosting Jordan to Zeus level when Jordan never ever ever won without Pip.

The reasoning goes on and on and on...and while in each one there is a bit of truth it's completely masked by hate.

What I've found is it's simply because of the rape case. Before that summer he was widely regarded as the best player in the league. That season he hadstrung together 9 straight games of 40 or more (I'm pretty sure he scored 35 or more 14 straight during that run too), averaged 40 during Feburary and theLakers lost a total of one game without Shaq during his injury. Which, btw, kinda destroys this belief that Kobe was somehow not as dominant or not a hugefactor during the 3 peat years. As soon as that case started the media IMMEDIATELY started paying attention to every superstars off court persona.Beforehand...we knew but it didn't matter. Now you have to be as much of a saint OFF court as ON court...which is utterly ridiculous, and IMO shows howimportant he was to the league. Any guy who can change how the media looks at an entire league, no scratch that.....the entire sports world, must be prettyimportant, especially when he wasn't even convicted. People never have...and probably never will look at him the same. Discrediting him because he had Shaqwhen he won rings is silly....who really cares? Had he not been there closing out every close game (due to Shaq's inability to make a freakin FT) andguarding the opposing teams best player, they would have never even gotten to the Finals. He should only be viewed as one of the greatest to ever play period.Top 10 to 15 now and prolly top 5 if he can win 1 or more.

/rant.

Hate the argument too about him not being able to win without Shaq.

I think he'll be remembered as winning them with Shaq, which isn't a bad thing and as one of the greatest ever

Originally Posted by Backirvine

when was this?

Although I think Kobe is better I don't think they can be properly compared until Kobe retires.
pacers and knicks was the conf. finals

kobe did reach the nba finals and two conf. finals without shaq

pippen has never done what kobe does now

pips that dude and held down the bulls in 94...but he is not better than kobe

Originally Posted by SD54east

When kobe retires he will easily be considered the second best of all time. He's hands down the best player since MJ and lebron will never be able to shoot or close games out like the black mamba. IMO hes the best laker ever.
Anyways, I might be one of the biggest Kobe haters out there but this really is crazy talk.. He needs another 2 rings before we can even discussputting him in the top 5 imo..

81 pts. . . . 62 in three quarters. . . . 2 AS MVPs. . . . NBA MVP. . . .1st team offense, defense. . .. . arrogant, cocky, Denver rape thing. . . . 3 rings. .. . didnt get along with Shaq. . . . great fadeaway. . . . best closer in his time. . .. have I left anythig out ? Oh yeah, the damn sunglasses on his headwhen he said he was going to NBA.

cook # 45
get fit.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Bottom line is if he doesn't win one again, his legacy will be tied to succeeding only with Shaq.
But why is that a bad thing?

It's not. In some people's world Kobe is the only player to ever win with another great player.

When it's all said and done Kobe is a top 10 player all time. The accolades, wins, and numbers will speak to that.

Cause Kobe's a better player. You seriously couldn't come to that conclusion on your own?

typical mavs fan (on this forum) who either does not know what he is talking about or is a kobe hater
smh.gif

Kobe is a GREAT player hands down but he needs to lead his team to a championship before he retires. But if he doesn't he is still a top 5 NBA All-time (inmy opinion). I'm no Kobe fan but you can't deny what he's done (don't look at the 2006 Playoffs).

How did this turn out to be a Scottie vs. Kobe thread???

Scottie >>>>>>>> Kobe when it comes to defense

Originally Posted by 4fitness

81 pts. . . . 62 in three quarters. . . . 2 AS MVPs. . . . NBA MVP. . . .1st team offense, defense. . .. . arrogant, cocky, Denver rape thing. . . . 3 rings. . . . didnt get along with Shaq. . . . great fadeaway. . . . best closer in his time. . .. have I left anythig out ? Oh yeah, the damn sunglasses on his head when he said he was going to NBA.

cook # 45
get fit.
while the mavs had 61
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

he will go down as one of the top players to ever play the game

Originally Posted by Backirvine

when was this?

no, he didn't. look it up and see what really happened.

Kobe will go down as the #2 best shooting guard to ever play the game of basketball .

Lik I said ... your opinions don't matter .
laugh.gif

He'll be like Stevie Ray form Harlem Heat. One of the greatest Tag Teams of all time but Shaq is Booker T. He goes down in history as apart of one of thegreatest duos to bless the court and not one of the greatest players to touch the court. If you follow wrestling you get what I mean

I can dig it sucka. The bottom line is Kobe can win three more chips ,and people will still find a way to hate ,and discredit his body of work.
My best friend does it everytime we discuss Kobe. Colorado,he sold and booted Shaq out. Never focusing on his on court dominance.

Back
Top Bottom