Living in Berkeley Advice

Originally Posted by jcach

Originally Posted by zube42

It's all about Blondies and Fat Slice

Thanks for all the replies so far. Good look with yelp.com. Blondies and Fat Slice...care to elaborate?
Pizza places, they make some DELICIOUS pizza man.

Originally Posted by donpoppa

dont listen to people oakland is not that scary
True that! At night it can be pretty hectic however.

Oakland consists of the hills and the flats. I wouldn't really be trying to living in the flats. The hills are really very nice, some of the nicest housesin the bay area.

oakland taco truck ftw
happy.gif

Originally Posted by nbirn2103

Oakland consists of the hills and the flats. I wouldn't really be trying to living in the flats. The hills are really very nice, some of the nicest houses in the bay area.
pimp.gif
Oakland FTW!

If you're more into more mellow settings, have access to car and dont mind commuting a bit, I'd suggest living by Lake Merritt in Oakland.

I had a strong dislike for Berkeley's nightlife. Immediately around campus, the bar scene (Kip's, Blakes, Bear's Lair, and the bar at the duranthotel) all had the same vibe: drunk and belligerent frat boys and ugly, snobby, flat chested girls who couldnt grind or dance if their lives depended on it. Igot really tired being around these copy&paste Crew/water polo/rugby sqaures after i turned 21. There are better places a little further away fromcampus. On College, there's "The Graduate," George and Waltz and a couple of calmer, more mellow bars where you dont have to yell to talk tosomeone a foot away from you. Also, Thalassa's on Shattuck is a pretty cool pool hall.

But if there's one thing I liked about living in Berkeley as an undergrad, it was the food. House of Curries = best South Asian food in Berkeley, forgetNaan & Curry. Fat Slice > Blondies in the pizza contest. Steve's Korean BBQ (Pork or Chicken, don't get the beef) is where I go if I reallyneed to get full. If you're into breakfast foods, berkeley has you covered. Ann's Kitchen on Dwight and Telegraph is really good and inexpensive. LaNote is another place, French breakfast crap thats pretty good, but pricey as hell. Au Coquelet (sp?) is probably one of the best breakfast/lunch placesi've been to in Berkeley and has a pretty extensive menu. If you're into burgers and sandwiches, IBs Hoagies and Sufficient Grouds are on point. Ifyou're gonna get burritos, leave berkeley, and come through to Oakland. East 14th and 37th Avenue: El Farrolitos burritos > any burrito shop in thebay. Well those are only just a few starter places

congrats on getting into berkeley. if you dont mind me asking, what kind of law are you interested in practicing?

Originally Posted by moe200069

Oakland consists of the hills and the flats. I wouldn't really be trying to living in the flats. The hills are really very nice, some of the nicest houses in the bay area.
pimp.gif
Oakland FTW!

If you're more into more mellow settings, have access to car and dont mind commuting a bit, I'd suggest living by Lake Merritt in Oakland.

I had a strong dislike for Berkeley's nightlife. Immediately around campus, the bar scene (Kip's, Blakes, Bear's Lair, and the bar at the durant hotel) all had the same vibe: drunk and belligerent frat boys and ugly, snobby, flat chested girls who couldnt grind or dance if their lives depended on it. I got really tired being around these copy&paste Crew/water polo/rugby sqaures after i turned 21. There are better places a little further away from campus. On College, there's "The Graduate," George and Waltz and a couple of calmer, more mellow bars where you dont have to yell to talk to someone a foot away from you. Also, Thalassa's on Shattuck is a pretty cool pool hall.

But if there's one thing I liked about living in Berkeley as an undergrad, it was the food. House of Curries = best South Asian food in Berkeley, forget Naan & Curry. Fat Slice > Blondies in the pizza contest. Steve's Korean BBQ (Pork or Chicken, don't get the beef) is where I go if I really need to get full. If you're into breakfast foods, berkeley has you covered. Ann's Kitchen on Dwight and Telegraph is really good and inexpensive. La Note is another place, French breakfast crap thats pretty good, but pricey as hell. Au Coquelet (sp?) is probably one of the best breakfast/lunch places i've been to in Berkeley and has a pretty extensive menu. If you're into burgers and sandwiches, IBs Hoagies and Sufficient Grouds are on point. If you're gonna get burritos, leave berkeley, and come through to Oakland. East 14th and 37th Avenue: El Farrolitos burritos > any burrito shop in the bay. Well those are only just a few starter places

congrats on getting into berkeley. if you dont mind me asking, what kind of law are you interested in practicing?

good stuff, thanks man. i'd like to practice international law - i'm commissioning as an officer in the air force next month, and so international lawmakes sense since that's what i'll be dealing with (hopefully) in the air force. with that said, i'm keeping my options open, there could beanother type of law i might find interesting once i actually start school.

Originally Posted by moe200069

pimp.gif
Oakland FTW!

yaeh thats where im thinking about moving that area is nice and quiet. the only thing i hate is sometimes the lake can give off a bad smell..

Back
Top Bottom